Multiples
Options

Follow Up Ultrasound - Twins

I am still overjoyed after my appointment last week.  We found out that there were two sacs, two babies and two heartbeats.  The Doctor and Ultrasound tech were both a little concerned about one of the babies as the sac was much smaller than the other and the baby was about 2 days behind.  They mentioned vanishing twin and said that the smaller baby may end up miscarrying  or just stop growing.  They scheduled us for a follow up ultrasound this week to see what was happening.

So, yesterday everything looked "kind of" the same - accept both babies were bigger.  They each grew a week's worth and we got to hear both of their heartbeats.  Both had the same 152 bpm.  The smaller baby was still 2 to 3 days behind and the sac was still much smaller than the other baby's. 

They said we will just keep moving along like normal....but there may still be a chance that the larger baby and sac may push the smaller baby out.  I keep saying prayers and taking one day at a time....

So many of you commented last week and really had a lot of positive reassurance.  Those of you with similar experiences, can you share how long one baby's sack stayed smaller and when can I stop worrying that my smaller baby may miscarry? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Follow Up Ultrasound - Twins

• Options
    jcathjcath member

My early ultrasounds didn't show two sacs so I can't comment on sac size but one of the babies measured 3 days behind pretty consistently until at 11 weeks they measured the same.  My RE wasn't worried about it at all.

Best of luck!

• Options
    My RE made it sound like 2 days behind was nothing.  Mine were at least that much off most of the pregnancy.  It's normal for them to grow at different rates.  She also told me that once you have a heartbeat, the chances of anything happening decrease to something like 3 - 5%.  I breathed a little lighter after the heartbeats were detected and even lighter after 12w.  Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My OB said baby b may vanish because he was so much smaller (at 8 1/2 weeks) but he did fine and we watched them, and I worried, we watched them some more and I would worry more. In the end he came out smaller than baby A but he's my little ball of energy now! GL!

• Options
    we had a vanishing triplet but it was measuring much further behind, when the heartbeats for the other two were around 140, the third was not yet 100.  seems like having 2 heartbeats close to the same would be a good sign.
  • Options
    On my 5 week ultrasound they only detected one small sac they felt was "too small" and scheduled a follow up ultrasound the following week. At 6 weeks they confirmed 2 sacs and since then one has always been 2-4 days behind the other. My OB and MFM keep reassuring me this is no problem since both babies have been growing at the same rate and are within a few days of "appropriate gestational size." Our little boy is just a day or two ahead and our little girl is either right on target or a day or two behind. I must admit I'm still not breathing easy exactly but it's getting easier by the day. Like you said, one day at a time and lots of prayers. Congrats on your twins!
  • Options
    Even at 38 weeks baby b measured 5 days behind a. she was a whole 4 oz and .5" smaller at birth 1.5 weeks later.  She's no the bigger lol! My midwives told me that if we got 2 developing babies aroun 11 weeks we were pretty much out of the woods.
  • Options

My baby B consistently measured 2 or 3 days behind Baby A throughout the pregnancy. In the early weeks 6-11 the doctors told me the same thing, that we might lose the smaller one, but she hung in there and I have two healthy babies. Good luck to you.

As to your worry I honestly worried about the babies before each and every ultrasound so I'm no help as to when the fear by alleviate. It without a doubt gets better the further along you are. By my NT scan at 12 weeks I was feeling much more comfortable.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"