Breastfeeding

Pulls off crying

Things were going really well for LO and I for a while there, but lately he's started pulling off my breast screaming and crying during some feedings. Which makes for a stressful mommy and baby.

I have an oversupply and I'm guessing overactive letdown since he also pulls off sputtering/choking/coughing sometimes as well. I pumped one breast shortly after a feeding yesterday so that I can slowly start to build a small freezer stash so dh can help feed every once in a while, I pumped for 5 minutes and got nearly 80ml in that time.

I really don't know what to do though to make feedings less stressful for LO and I. I've been block feeding for almost two weeks now, and it really helped at first. I had also tried changing positions to almost a full recline when feeding but that's not really working anymore either. I asked a LC at my hospital's breastfeeding support group and she said to continue block feeding if that helps, otherwise her only other suggestions were to try putting cabbage on my breasts (not really interested in that) or to wait for my supply to regulate.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Pulls off crying

• Everytime my LO does this he needs to burp, which ends in him spitting up a bit as well.  Once he burps/spits up he's much better and will sometimes go back to eating.. It took me a few weeks to figure this out since he's so random about it..

Just my 2 cents :)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My DS has been doing that for the last couple of weeks as well. It's usually during  night feedings when he's sleepy and being kind of lazy. He will pull off because he's choking and then throw a fit. My only suggestion is to stay calm and use a reassuring and calming voice while talking to him. I also rub his head and he usually calms down after a few seconds. I give him a chance to catch his breath or even burp him and that has helped a lot. It makes for the feeding to take a bit longer but it's worth it. The most important thing is to not stress out (as hard as that sounds), stay calm and keep telling your baby it's ok. I love it when he does finally calm down because he looks up at me with big eyes before he latches back on and it makes me feel like he recognizes the fact that I'm trying to help him.
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with trying to burp him -- this is usually our issue. Also, does he have any other reflux symptoms? Pulling off and crying can be a sign of that, but unless he's also spitting up, arching, not settling after eating, etc., that's probably not your issue.
      norathe girlsamelia
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ditto PPs with the burping suggestion.  If you have overactive letdown/supply he might be gulping quite a bit which means he's getting more air in his belly.  My LO did the same thing until I figured it out.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"