Natural Birth

XP: Free advice from college class on Epi rant

Gosh, it's so frustrating/irritating/annoying that everyone in my college FORENSICS class, of which, only one is a mom, is telling me how I am going to wish for the epi and not going to be able to handle a natural birth.

Why do these random women and men, who aren't pregnant and don't know hardly anything about the pros/cons think that it is appropriate to call me out in the middle of class about how I am going "NEED/BEG for an epi" even though I am aiming for a natural birth... (1) I didn't ask for the advice (2) they don't even offer the epi at my birth center (3) you can't give edcuated advice w/o knowing what the hell you're talking about!!!

What a way to start the day...ick

XP from 3rd tri, probably better suited for this board...

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Photobucket

Re: XP: Free advice from college class on Epi rant

• I hate when men say you're going to need an epi.  How do they know?  Just because their wives may have needed it doesn't mean you will.  Friends of my DH would say the same thing when he told them we were going natural.  It infuriated me.
    imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker      

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It is frustrating but I haven't been told by any men that I'm going to want an epi. I had one with my son and HATED it.

I think people are terrified of pain and it is the fear that causes the pain in the first place. Men are just big babies so of course they would get one if they had a choice. There is a reason women are the ones to carry our babies!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • How does something like this come up in class?  I'd just shut them all down pretty quickly and tell them that you're not open for unsolicited advice.  Or you could go the nice route by smiling and then just ignore them. 
  • imageArmyQM:
    How does something like this come up in class?  I'd just shut them all down pretty quickly and tell them that you're not open for unsolicited advice.  Or you could go the nice route by smiling and then just ignore them. 

We were discussing both legal and illicit drugs and how injections caused the drug to be absorbed faster into the bloodstream and then the professor asked how many of us preferred the shot for something like strep throat... When I didn't raise my hand (there are only 10 of us), he asked me and the other girl why and we said we hated needles -- easy answer... then someone chimed up and started discussing how I was going to have to get over that to get the epi and there was no way I would make it through labor w/o one... I was thinking "like, seriously? STFU! Did I ask you?" and then everyone else joined in

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Photobucket
  • There is no way I would choose the shot for strep over taking oral abx. NO FREAKING WAY.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Wow, that would piss me off too! I have to say though, I get this from everyone. Literally EVERYONE. I expected it when I made my decision and honestly don't care too much. Yes it's sad to hear that everyone is so misguided in their information about what a birth should be like but this is my choice, my body, and my experience. I'm so happy that I have finally seen the light about birth. I had 2 inductions and epidurals with my first two kids. I was simply young and uninformed. When it comes to people's opinions I let them go in one ear and out the other and tell people how HAPPY I am with my decision. If it's family or someone I care about I usually explain my decision a little bit. It makes me feel special, smart, and more in touch with reality and my body than the rest of them. Oh well... I will have this amazing experience to remember for the rest of my life and they wont. I simply don't care.
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"