Natural Birth

Stripping membranes?

Can someone talk to me about this option? I have an appointment tomorrow and am considering asking my doctor to do this, but I really don't know all that much about what it entails and how it helps. I know we will most likely set an induction date, and I really want this little guy to come on his own first!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Stripping membranes?

• It's like a "rough" check. Basically, while checking your cervix, the practitioner tries to get a finger btwn the inner part of your cervix & the bag of water to separate the two. I've heard it hurts, but if you are favorable (ie: the practitioner can reach the inner part of the cervix), it's worth a try!

Here's a link to explain better.

It hurts quite a bit, but it's only uncomfortable for a few minutes, from what I understand.

High-risk L&D nurse...If in doubt, go to triage!

Trevor Calvin 12.10.07 7:26pm 7lbs2.5oz 19.75in

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Emerson Claire 07.07.11 11:34am 7lbs7oz 20.5 in

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I wasn't planning on having it done since it's kind of hit or miss; if your body isn't ready to go into labor nothing will happen. I had my first internal at 39w/6d since my MW was setting an induction for the next morning. While she was doing my internal she "massaged" my membranes; she was extra careful since I was GBS+ and she didn't want to break my waters. It didn't hurt at all, I had no idea she was even doing anything. At that point I was 2cm dilated and it was enough to push me into labor. The contractions I'd been having that morning suddenly got regular & stronger and LO was born just after midnight.

If she'd have asked me if I wanted to be stripped I probably would've said no since there is the risk of breaking the water & suddenly being on the clock for delivery, but it turned out to be totally worth it. Good luck with your decision!

Married since 09.06.08
    2012 Book Challenge: 20 of 50
    Sophia Leigh has arrived! 02.09.11
  • Loading the player...
  • It hurts awfully bad, but i've never seen it not work pretty quick
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The PP explained how it works pretty well!

I had my membranes stripped by my MW at 40w6d because I was worried about my induction date that was scheduled for 41w4d (I could have went to 42w but long story short my MW was on vacation at 41w5d so I would have had to have an OB deliver LO).  Nothing happened.  I didn't have even the slightest contraction. I did deliver at 41w2d but labor was brought on by nipple stimulation. 

It didn't hurt at all for me, but I've heard that it can be uncomfortable/painful.

• imageJune24Bride:
    It hurts awfully bad, but i've never seen it not work pretty quick
    I had it done with my first and must say it didn't hurt really all that bad.  Uncomfortable?  Yes.  Hurt?  Not really. 

This question is asked a lot here and usually the answers on whether or not it works are divided.  Some say it helped to push them into labor and others say it didn't do anything for them at all even after having it done several times.  I'd tend to agree that it only helps if you're body is already favorable. 

My experience is that I had it done on a Wednesday and my son was born on Friday night.  I have no idea if it was the stripping or if I would have gone into labor that day anyway. 

• I  had it done with both pregnancies.  It didn't hurt at all with my first andwas a bit more uncomfortable with my second, probably because I was 4 cm and she was able to be more aggressive with it.  I was in labor within a few hours.
  • It was pretty uncomfortable, but not really all that painful.  I had it done twice.  Once at 40w3d and again at 40w6d.  I went into labor exactly at 41 weeks.

I have known some people who did it around 37-38 weeks and the bag of waters ruptured prematurely.  They both ended up in c-sections.  I see you are already "over due" but I definitely wouldn't recommend it if you weren't.

Good luck!

DSC_2211

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Thanks for all the advice, ladies! DH and I talked about it, and he suggested I just ask my doctor what she recommends. I trust her to make a good recommendation, so if she thinks it would help, I will probably go ahead and let her do it. I suspect I have dilated more since my appointment last week because I've lost a LOT of MP over the past several days, and I've been having a good bit of cramping tonight. Sort of hoping all this is moot and I will go into labor tonight!

ETA: For those who mentioned GBS, I am negative, so thankfully that's not a consideration.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"