Nurseries and Baby Gear

Crib Mattress ?

What kind of criteria do you look for when buying a crib mattress? As a first time mom, I get most of my info from family and friends, but this seems to have a lot of debate. Most say with "the cheapest", which I definitely don't want to do as I'm not concerned with price. How did you choose yours? Where did you get it?
February 19, 2010- BFP! March 14, 2010- M/C January 17, 2011- BFP! April 26th, 2011- It's a boy! Due September 20, 2011 May 2, 2011- Confirmed Gastroschisis August 7, 2011- Labor begins August 12, 2011- Max is born October 4, 2011- Max comes home!

image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Crib Mattress ?

• We got the Colgate Classica I because it was recommended by Baby Bargains.  We ordered it from amazon.
  • We have a nice mattress(tempurpedic) and wanted the same for our little guy - we went with one of the Simmons Beautyrest ones from BRU, I don't remember the exact model. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageMrsEmilyS:
    We got the Colgate Classica I because it was recommended by Baby Bargains.  We ordered it from amazon.

This.

You want a firm mattress.

~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image"">imageimage
  • I wanted a safe quality mattress, but also a good value.

We got the foam mattress from Ikea - $40. It has the density suggested by Baby Bargains, fits our non-Ikea crib perfectly, has an infant and toddler side....overall I'm very happy with it and would buy it again. 

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
  • We went with the Naturpedic 2 in 1.  It was really expensive, but like you said, price was not an option and it gets excellent reviews/ awards.  Plus I really wanted a fully organic mattress.
  •  can't recomend the Baby Bargains book enough as a first time mom! it really helped me set up my registry and gave me a point of reference. we're ordering the colgate as well
  • We're getting a foam mattress because it didn't really matter to me foam vs. spring. We went with foam simply because foam is lighter and I wanted the easiest mattress for changing the sheets. Most of my mom friends told me that changing the sheets was the biggest pain in the a$$ and suggested getting a very light and managable mattress. We went with a Colgate something-or-other. HTH!

OH, and our mattress has both a very firm crib side and then a slightly softer toddler side for when our crib is converted to a toddler bed.

• imageychechel:
    We went with the Naturpedic 2 in 1.  It was really expensive, but like you said, price was not an option and it gets excellent reviews/ awards.  Plus I really wanted a fully organic mattress.

this.  most important for me was fully organic, no plastic to off gas 

• Okay. Thanks a lot, ladies! ^_^
    February 19, 2010- BFP! March 14, 2010- M/C January 17, 2011- BFP! April 26th, 2011- It's a boy! Due September 20, 2011 May 2, 2011- Confirmed Gastroschisis August 7, 2011- Labor begins August 12, 2011- Max is born October 4, 2011- Max comes home!

image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We wanted something natural and not filled with chemicals (flame retardants) and plastics.

We've done a lot of research on the various brands of natural/organic mattresses. You have to be careful because some are made with organic cotton but are not actually without the chemicals. Also some organic mattresses are treated with a "food grade" plastic coating, which we didn't want. We will be using water-resistant pads (also not chemical/platic), such as the Naturpedic pad.

This is the one we're getting. It is organic and 250 coil innerspring. More expensive than some, but we will be using it as a toddler bed as well. The health of my child matters more to me than money, and we can afford to get it, so we are.https://www.daxstores.com/v-snq-crib.html

photo maymommy2014.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker

• imageMrsEmilyS:
    We got the Colgate Classica I because it was recommended by Baby Bargains.  We ordered it from amazon.

This, but we got it from Albee Baby last summer when they'd still allow 20% off codes on the mattress.

We wanted safe, firm, and foam (because it was light).

Our mattress cost more than the crib (we have the Ikea Gulliver in white).

• imageMrsEmilyS:

We also got the Colgate Classica and I think I found it on sale at albeebaby.com 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"