Northern California Babies

Clomid decision

I'm now almost to cd90, which was the cutoff my dr gave me before we had to induce a period. I've spoken to her about my lack of period to get her thoughts and she recommends a progesterone induced withdrawal bleed, followed by clomid. Before I can even make the decision on whether to take clomid or not though, I have to get my thyroid levels regulated. I can take a blood test around April 18th and I'm hoping my levels will be within range since I started a new dosage of synthroid in mid February. I have mixed feelings about the clomid though. My dr says since I don't ovulate, all we need to do is make me ovulate, but I have my reservations about it being that easy. What were your experiences with clomid? Any big time side effects? Did you monitor your cycles with midclycle ultra sounds to check egg maturation? Any advice on the drug would be greatly appreciated:)
Dancing Through Life
BabyFruit Ticker
BabyFetus Ticker
Married August 22, 2009-TTC #1 since 1/11
Dx PCOS and Hypothyroidism in 2004, SA 5/11-Excellent!
Cycle #1-6-Anovulatory:(
Cycle #7-metformin+clomid+acupuncture-BFP!!!
Beta#1(16dpo)-101, Beta#2(18dpo)-240, Beta#3(22dpo)-1,255
EDD 10-28-12

Re: Clomid decision

• I have a lot of friends who have had great succes with clomid and they have all had singletons.  Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Clomid didn't work for us, but Femara did. I was diagnosed with PCOS at 15 years old. We got PG with our first cycle if Femara. Clomid gave me headaches, mood swings and hot flashes but didnt make me ovulate. GL!!
  • Loading the player...
  • My sister had a great experiance on Femara.  She got pg. her second cycle.  :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was unwilling to do clomid without being monitered. My Ob was unwilling to do that so I saw an RE who after lots of talking to helped me decided that Femara was a much better choice due to linning concerns and me ovulating on my own. Clomid has a lot of side effects and is a serious drug I wanted to make sure I was in good care and not on my own while on it. I highly suggest finding a Dr (RE or OB) who will moniter you. If you go onto IF board the girls there are a huge wealth of information. Good luck.
  • Ditto what kittylove said. I took several rounds of Clomid with no success. I will recommend one thing, if you do take Clomid, take it at night-you will feel less of the side effects. I still had hot flashes at night but it did not keep me up at night.

I was the opposite on Femara-I had a worse response than Clomid. 

GL! I am on the TTTC/IF boards as well so if you have any questions, feel free to ask there too! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I never took Clomid as my dr said it wouldn't be successful for me, but I got pregnant the second cycle I was on Femara plus HCG shot. I had no side effects from Femara.

Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm on my 7th Clomid cycle, and I haven't had any major side effects.  (The RE is keeping me on it because I have such a good response to it)  The worst side effects I have are hot flashes and pain around ovulation time.  I take it at night, and it does seem to help the side effects.  I wasn't monitored on the first 4 cycles, but I insisted on monitoring after that.  My OB did the monitoring for one of the cycles, and then he referred me to an RE.  If you can get a referral to one, I would definitely recommend the RE over the OB - my RE is much more knowledgeable than the OB was.  I have a baseline ultrasound, and then 1-2 ultrasounds and then we do the IUI.  Good luck to you!
    Mom to Eliott Alexander, born sleeping at 37 weeks on 8/13/10. Most of us only dream of angels - I held one in my arms.
    BFP #2 - EDD 2/26/12 M/C 6/28/11 @ 5w2d
    BFP #3 - EDD 4/7/12 M/C 8/2/11 @ 4w2d
    Too beautiful for this earth
    BFP #4 - EDD 12/09/12, Lucille arrived 11/26/12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"