Working Moms

weird request from DCP teachers. I don't even know how to respond?!

The teachers in the infant room put out a sign up sheet for "story time" where parents could come in for 30 min and read to the babies.  I was thinking eh... probably not.  But then one of the teachers said, they really want participation, so they can go get coffee at Starbucks.  Really-- I pay this center $$$$ per month and you want me to take off work so you can have a coffee break? 

I could almost understand if it was "teacher appreciation week" (which is also malarkey if you ask me), but this is just happy time for them.

So what do I say?  I want to be nice and I like these teachers, but also think this is inappropriate!

ETA:  I put this in my comments below, but I'll retract my 'malarkey' comment-- I do participate in Teacher Appreciation and do appreciate my teachers.  I just don't like how it is structured and feels mandatory.  That said, all the gifts/cards/etc could be kid made, just not for the little babies, like DS.

Re: weird request from DCP teachers. I don't even know how to respond?!

• Is this even feasible with your work schedule?  I know I do not have the flexibility in my workday to do this. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't understand.  All teachers are going to leave simultaneously to get starbucks while one (or more) parents, untrained in fire safety procedures, infant CPR, and security/check-out procedures, and not background checked or fingerprinted, are left alone with infants?

How is this okay from a licensing perspective?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Um, a parent coming in to read a story is not the same as caring for the babies. That would be like you going in to pick up your kid and the teachers saying, "Hey, can you change Sally? I need to run an errand." That's BS. And I'm a teacher so I'm all for teacher appreciation. Could they have been joking?
  • Um yah, I would be talking to the director about that.  Sounds like the teachers need a break during the day, which I'm sure they deserve and should be supported.  But, they shouldn't have to ask parents to come in to do that.  It's one thing to ask for parent volunteers at public schools where budgets have been slashed drastically and you have a 1:20 ratio (minimum).  But, unless there is some really good reason, I think it's ridiculous to ask. 
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Are you sure she wasn't joking? I can't fathom this.
  • How weird.  So would the teachers be gone and the random parent just hanging with the kids????  I don't want to ever pick up my kid and find his classmate's parent "in charge." 

• Tell them "sure, no problem, I understand completely.  Then next week, you just sneak out for 30 minutes and do my job so I can go grab a coffee."   That is bizarre.
  • imagetrinny:

The teachers in the infant room put out a sign up sheet for "story time" where parents could come in for 30 min and read to the babies.  I was thinking eh... probably not.  But then one of the teachers said, they really want participation, so they can go get coffee at Starbucks.  Really-- I pay this center $$$$ per month and you want me to take off work so you can have a coffee break? 

I could almost understand if it was "teacher appreciation week" (which is also malarkey if you ask me), but this is just happy time for them.

So what do I say?  I want to be nice and I like these teachers, but also think this is inappropriate!

I think you might be over analyzing it.  I am not saying that the Starbucks request wasn't weird but if my daycare asked for parents to sign up to do storytime on a volunteer basis, if I could work it into my schedule I would.  If you can't then you can't.  I honestly don't think they were all planning on leaving and leaving the parents with the kids.  This was obviously some kind of joke or misunderstanding.  

Why do you think teacher appreciation week is malarkey?  I would make treats for them whenever I could if I had time because of all they do for DD.  I am also at a private center to, not sure if you are or at a bigger chain center.  I know of parents that bring in coffee for the teachers so maybe if that's what they want the parents that were/are going to do the story time could bring in coffee instead.   

• It was not a joke.  I imagine some floater would be in there or they'd be out of ratio (1 parent : 8 babies?)  But she seriously said "You can come in and read to the kids and then we can go to Starbucks.  It is right across the street"  I am not sure if the director knows or not, but one of the only mom who signed up works the front desk.

Okay-- I'll back down on the teacher appreciation.  I totally appreciate all that my kids' teachers do for them, and we do give them a cash bonuses at the holidays and small gift cards for teacher appreciation.  I just think it is a pretty sweet deal for the director to declare "teacher appreciation week" and then we all have to buy gifts and bring in treats for the teachers.  So on top of the $$$ he's getting from us, he also doesn't have to give them bonuses.  Teacher Appreciation Week is structured.  (Monday-- bring a card, Tuesday--bring a treat, Wed-- bring a flower, Thurs-- bring a gift, Fri-- sign up for something to bring for the teachers' brunch)

It is a chain center, and I don't like some of the other requests (fundraisers, materials for the classrooms, etc).  I do think the director is stingy with his employees.

• As a teacher, from a family of teachers, I was all set to address your bashing of Teacher Appreciation week until you backed down, and then talked about how it is structured at the DC. That's weird to me, but I am a public school teacher and DD is not in DC, so I don't know if this is the norm. You are told WHAT to bring, and WHEN to bring it? Strange. I'd be compelled to check with the higher-ups in the chain to see if this is common practice. If it is, I might be more compelled to find another center. JMO.
  • Ummm...I say weird!  This is a daycare, they're being paid to take care of your kid while you're at WORK!  If I had time to be there, then that means I'm off work and my kid wouldn't be there....therefore, I would NOT be there.  Not to mention the whole Starbucks thing, that can't be legal.
  • I would tell that I have another job and that is what I am paying them for.

But nicer.  I can't even imagine our center doing this.  I don't think it would ever fly and I probably would be the only sucker that would feel guilty for not doing it. 

• So, as a teacher, (of older kids) I definitely see the value in having parents come in and read to kids. 1) it helps the children learn more about each other and their families and therefore creates respect and empathy. 2) hearing a story read aloud by a new person actually promotes good reading skills. Everyone reads aloud differently and having a variety of models is very good for kids.

That said, I agree that it's a little silly in day care because obviously any parent with kids in day care is working and therefore not available to volunteer. Also, the Starbucks thing is just rediculous, but at least she told you ahead of time instead of having you show up and then just leaving... 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This would be a huge red flag for me.  There should not be any circumstance where you are left with the children without the proper teacher to infant ratio. 

• I'd talk to the director. It seems fishy to me.

When I was nursing I would come in one lunch hour a week and would would bring dessert from wherever I grabbed lunch (so McDonalds shakes) for the teachers. I got to know them and the kids really well...but they never left me with the kids so they could go eat their lunches or whatever. I think one time the lead teacher stepped out for 10 minutes to talk to the director which technically put them out of ratio but we weren't worried bc I was there. That was for 10 minutes, when she was down the hall and 2 other teachers were in the room.

The structured TA week is odd as well. I've heard of centers doing a pot luck luncheaon one day of TA week but not a list of what to bring each day.

• imageIblamethebeer:

I don't understand.  All teachers are going to leave simultaneously to get starbucks while one (or more) parents, untrained in fire safety procedures, infant CPR, and security/check-out procedures, and not background checked or fingerprinted, are left alone with infants?

How is this okay from a licensing perspective?

THIS!

I would say to the teacher (or maybe the director)  "I'd be glad to try to work volunteering into my work schedule, but I'm very uncomfortable with the idea of coming in to watch/read to the children while your staff takes a coffee break."

• Um...no. This is unacceptable and I would discuss with the owner.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I would absolutely talk to the director about this and my message would be very clear - I pay for them to take care of my child.  I DO NOT PAY for random parent (and perhaps stranger!) to come in and 'watch' my child.  This  is unacceptable and if you find this is happening, you're going to file a complaint and you will be looking for new daycare.

Because that's exactly what I would do. 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• I don't really understnad why you would need to "volunteer" at a for-profit business?  If they need more staff, they need to hire more staff.

I get the idea of teacher appreciation week, but I kinda feel like the employers of the teachers should be showing their appreication MORE.  I'm not sure why I always have to open up my pocketbook to show my appreciation.  We have staff appreciation week at my work - and you know who shows me they appreciate me - MY EMPLOYER who already has the money.  The idea of TA week also for public school teachers is different than teachers at a for profit corporate daycare. 

• I think the whole Starbucks comment is definitely weird but I'm surprised so many people are offended by the option of volunteering to read.  My DC just sent out notice asking for parents to volunteer to read during the upcoming National Association for the Education of Young Children?s (NAEYC) annual Week of the Young Child. 

I understand and am sure they do as well that if you can't volunteer because of a stringent work schedule you can't but I signed up to do it since I have some flexibility at work.  To me it's a great way to actually spend a little extra time with DS in an environment he spends a ton of time in and actually get to take part in a little of the fun stuff they do.  But I imagine I'm going to be there all of a half hour and given the laws all of his teachers will be there to care for any kids that need it while I'm reading.   

• Hmm... that is weird.  If you are volunteering, I'd offer to bring them a cup of Starbucks.  But reading a story to a class is different than being responsible for a room full of infants! 
  • Yeah, that is beyond weird. They should go to Starbucks on their break.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I do not think there is any way I could have shown up at daycare for 1/2 hour in the middle of the day and then returned to work without my kids having a melt down because they wanted to go with me.
  • imagemrs. sage:

I'm surprised so many people are offended by the option of volunteering to read.

I don't see where anyone is offended at the concept of volunteering to read. I think we're all reacting to the idea that the teachers are doing this so that they can leave!!   I know that's my issue with this.

imageSpenjamins:
    I do not think there is any way I could have shown up at daycare for 1/2 hour in the middle of the day and then returned to work without my kids having a melt down because they wanted to go with me.
    Seriously.  While I think the idea is a great idea, I know I could never go in. At least not at this age.  When I show up to pick DS up, he starts crying!  I know he has fun at DC and he knows I'm there to get him - but he cries.  If I showed up and then left again... oh boy! 
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• imageSpenjamins:
    I do not think there is any way I could have shown up at daycare for 1/2 hour in the middle of the day and then returned to work without my kids having a melt down because they wanted to go with me.

Oh yeah "Thanksgiving Lunch" was a complete FAIL for my DD.  She cried the whole time, wouldn't eat her lunch, wanted me to hold her, etc.  I haven't come to another party since.

For DS and the other infants, coming and going isn't a big deal just yet.

• imageSpenjamins:

Yeah, I skipped DD's holiday party (and could have gone and wanted to) because she has such a meltdown when I left after her Halloween party.  This would cause major drama.  I think parents volunteering to read is great if parents have time (most wouldn't) but the Starbucks thing is really weird.  And being told exactly what to bring for appreciation week would tick me off.

• This whole thing is strange to me....  

As OP stated, I wouldn't be able to leave either...I'm sure Jake would have a "meltdown" as well after I left.

And....they tell you what to bring for appriciation week....??? I don't mind giving them a gift card/tip during the holidays, but don't tell me what to give and when to give it! Angry

• EcyEcy member
    Sounds like you need to find a new center.  Obviously you are bothered by the situation and I understand why.  Most importantly though, I would not be okay with leaving my child under the care of other parents that I don't know and aren't licensed to watch my kids while the staff leaves.  If she really meant that they would ALL leave to get Starbucks, then I would leave and find another DC to put my child in. 
  • imagetrinny:

It was not a joke.  I imagine some floater would be in there or they'd be out of ratio (1 parent : 8 babies?)  But she seriously said "You can come in and read to the kids and then we can go to Starbucks.  It is right across the street"  I am not sure if the director knows or not, but one of the only mom who signed up works the front desk.

I just think it is a pretty sweet deal for the director to declare "teacher appreciation week" and then we all have to buy gifts and bring in treats for the teachers.  So on top of the $$$ he's getting from us, he also doesn't have to give them bonuses.  Teacher Appreciation Week is structured.  (Monday-- bring a card, Tuesday--bring a treat, Wed-- bring a flower, Thurs-- bring a gift, Fri-- sign up for something to bring for the teachers' brunch)

It is a chain center, and I don't like some of the other requests (fundraisers, materials for the classrooms, etc).  I do think the director is stingy with his employees.

Umm... volunteers reading to kids is cute. Teachers running across the street to grab coffee is unprofessional. If they want coffee, why can't they send one teacher across the street to get it and they can all sip and gab in the classroom? Do they need time off to be besties? They can handle that after work... like I handle all my co-worker friends get-togethers... after work.

What the crap about the Teacher Appreciation week?!?! My mom is a teacher and for holidays and stuff kids might get her a card or a gift or something, but TELLING parents what to give their teachers all week? No. That's pretty presumptuous IMHO. I'm okay with fundraisers/providing materials for classrooms, but not if they are ALWAYS harping on a fundraiser. **side eye** I don't like your director.

imageimage 
    TTC #2: My chart
  • this is really odd!  i would be pissed to be honest.  i have no problem going to help out and read to my childs daycare but i'm with you, i pay A LOT of $$ and not going to come in so you can go to starbucks!!!
  • This is soooo incredibly strange from both a professional and legal standpoint that I am sure it has to be some sort of misunderstanding.  It absolutely sounds like a joke to me.  When my students come in and ask me what we are doing today, I often tell them we are going to Wawa/Dairy Queen/having naptime, etc.  That is the best I can imagine.

I could absolutely see them saying "Man, if we have a parent in here teaching, one of us should get us coffee so we can relax for a few minutes."  Fine, no biggie as long as they are still in within personnel regulations.  Even then, though, it might bother me if they need a break that badly.

The whole TAW is BS.  I am a teacher and find it overwhelmingly nice when a student or group chooses to do something for us but I never expect anything.  And wouldn't appreciate it as much if it was forced.

• As a working mom, I would be furious if I found out that my DCP left my baby with some random parent. DCPs, like teachers, have to undergo background checks. IDK anything about any of the parents at our DC center, and I certainly wouldn't trust random baby's mama to watch my child while our DCP runs to Starbucks--no matter how close it may be.

Also, I would not want to be the parent volunteering to read to the class. I would not want to take on the responsibility or liability of being left in charge with those children. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"