Eco-Friendly Family

Apparently ds is too tall for rear facing

I found the info for our carseats and all three of the boys seats are only good rear facing up to 36 inches. Ben is 38 inches and only 27 lbs. He's over two, nearly three. From what I understand, I have to have him forward in the seat now due to his height. I feel really weird about that.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Apparently ds is too tall for rear facing

• imagej.h.mommy:
    I found the info for our carseats and all three of the boys seats are only good rear facing up to 36 inches. Ben is 38 inches and only 27 lbs. He's over two, nearly three. From what I understand, I have to have him forward in the seat now due to his height. I feel really weird about that.

look at where his head falls. Torso length matters more than total length. If he's long legged, he may still have room.

What seat do you have?  

• Glad you checked!  Sorry I didn't mention that in my response below.  Hope that it will still work per MrsGo4's response.  You may be able to purchase another convertible seat that will go for a taller height...I wonder if the sunshine radian would work?

Big E (6) & Little E (2.5)
  • Loading the player...
  • imageMrsGo4Hockeychick:

imagej.h.mommy:

look at where his head falls. Torso length matters more than total length. If he's long legged, he may still have room.

What seat do you have?  

It's nothing fancy. It's the Eddie Bauer 3 in 1. I'm considering getting a new one that can rear face longer. I'm researching Sunshine Kids and Britax. I'm not sure what to do.
  • Ours goes by seated height: https://www.recaro.com/us/product-areas/child-safety/product/convertibles.html bottom line, you wnt him to be as safe as possible. So of he is too tall, don't stress too much. If the format is all crazy it bc I am on my phone.
    47 months &
    11 months
  • imagej.h.mommy:
    imageMrsGo4Hockeychick:

imagej.h.mommy:

What seat do you have?  

It's nothing fancy. It's the Eddie Bauer 3 in 1. I'm considering getting a new one that can rear face longer. I'm researching Sunshine Kids and Britax. I'm not sure what to do.

don't get a britax. short shells.

First Years True Fit has the tallest shell, next tallest is the Radian XTSL.

height is one and only time you'll find a CPST say something other than what the manual says ;)  

• Am I being overly nervous about this? I mean, should I just let him face forward and not worry about it, or should I get a seat that can keep him rear facing a little longer? Does three seem old to be rear facing?
  • imagej.h.mommy:
    Am I being overly nervous about this? I mean, should I just let him face forward and not worry about it, or should I get a seat that can keep him rear facing a little longer? Does three seem old to be rear facing?

personally, I would get a new seat...but not because of the rear facing thing exclusively. The eddie bauer makes a really crappy booster seat. But, it's up to you if you want to get something like a TF or radian and keep him RFing, or if you want to turn him.

If you want to turn him, I'd still recommend the britax frontier or graco nautilus over the eddie bauer. 

imagej.h.mommy:
    Am I being overly nervous about this? I mean, should I just let him face forward and not worry about it, or should I get a seat that can keep him rear facing a little longer? Does three seem old to be rear facing?

personally, I would get a new seat...but not because of the rear facing thing exclusively. The eddie bauer makes a really crappy booster seat. But, it's up to you if you want to get something like a TF or radian and keep him RFing, or if you want to turn him.

If you want to turn him, I'd still recommend the britax frontier or graco nautilus over the eddie bauer. 

What reasons are there to not use this car seat? I need a good supporting argument in order to convince dh to let me get a new one. Lol.

Would you chose one of those other seats you mentioned over the radian xtsl? If I'm going to get a new one, I want to get the safest option for Ben.

• ::butting in on conversation::

how would i find out if my child was too tall for his carseat? i have a britax, and it says it is good to a certain height, but how do i know for sure?

Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagej.h.mommy:
    imageMrsGo4Hockeychick:

imagej.h.mommy:

What reasons are there to not use this car seat? I need a good supporting argument in order to convince dh to let me get a new one. Lol.

Would you chose one of those other seats you mentioned over the radian xtsl? If I'm going to get a new one, I want to get the safest option for Ben.

well, it's a horrible booster. It's not necessarily horrible as a 5 point harness, but it doesn't work as a booster for many kids. The belt positioning is off. The IIHS gave it a "not recommended rating" in their review of boosters.

It really is hard to say. Kennedy is so small for her age, I'd probably get a different rear facing seat. But, if she was an average or even big kid, I'd just turn her and use the EB until outgrown harnessed and then get a different seat when that's outgrown. 

All car seats are equally safe, so it's really what fits in your car and your budget. The radian can be a PITA to install, too.  

imagej.h.mommy:
    imageMrsGo4Hockeychick:

imagej.h.mommy:

well, it's a horrible booster. It's not necessarily horrible as a 5 point harness, but it doesn't work as a booster for many kids. The belt positioning is off. The IIHS gave it a "not recommended rating" in their review of boosters.

It really is hard to say. Kennedy is so small for her age, I'd probably get a different rear facing seat. But, if she was an average or even big kid, I'd just turn her and use the EB until outgrown harnessed and then get a different seat when that's outgrown. 

All car seats are equally safe, so it's really what fits in your car and your budget. The radian can be a PITA to install, too.  

This is where I'm stuck. Ben is very light for his age. I believe he was 27lbs last week, but he is tall for his age as well. I'm not sure what to do. I can't decide if it is safe enough to turn him forward and keep the EB until he needs a booster. I guess at some point he has to be turned. I just intended to keep him rear facing longer.

• imagemfc2b4:

::butting in on conversation::

how would i find out if my child was too tall for his carseat? i have a britax, and it says it is good to a certain height, but how do i know for sure?

Thanks!

Check your manual, but both my Britax seats say that when their head is within an inch of the shell of the seat (not headrest if applicable, but shell), they need to turn.  Also, to my knowledge, all Britax seats give a seated-shoulder height rating too...the length from butt to shoulders.

DD just outgrew her Britax RF last month.  I was going to wait until June to turn her because DH was bugging me but oh well.  It seemed like sometimes her head had some room and some times it was close probably just her posture at the time.  I decided it was too much stress trying to assess it each time so I turned her around.  She still talks about how her seat is switched, LOL.

DS' Britax is much taller in the shell so I think he'll be RFing a little longer than her, but he is longer I think, so we'll see.

• imagej.h.mommy:

My daughter is also 38 inches and will be three on Friday (sob) and she's still RF in a MyRide 65.  Her head is still two inches below the top of the shell though, so we still have some time.  I am not turning her until I absolutely have to.  Girl is all legs, so I'm hoping we can eke it out until she's at least 3.5. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"