Toddlers: 24 Months+

If you have two or more, how are you potty training?

We are finally looking into it and her preschool is starting to start the process with her. At home, I am trying to encourage it, but it seems like I am always busy with the baby and I worry if we start hard core potty training, we will have to pull over or find a bathroom when we are out when the baby needs to be fed or is sleeping and i am by myself. How can I walk with her into a bathroom stall with the baby in her stroller, etc.? She has been ready for quite some time and I missed her window a while back. I know she can do it because she has, but we havent really encouraged it either way.
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: If you have two or more, how are you potty training?

• Honestly we've had to cut back on our all-day outings for just a little bit.  We still go out, of course, but we make them fairly quick trips- no more than a couple hours at a time.  And we always make sure she goes potty right before we leave.  I always make sure to have a change of clothes with me just in case, and as soon as we get somewhere I make sure to spot the bathrooms in case we have to make a run for it! 

When we're at home I always stop what I'm doing with the baby to help her go potty.  It sucks sometimes, especially when we're in the middle of feeding or in the middle of putting him down for a nap.  But when it comes to this, the baby can wait just a minute but DD probably can't! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • you need to go balls to the wall and pick a week where you NEED TO BE HOME- no errands, no running around.

take baby's exersaucer, jumperoo, bouncy seat-- whatever and leave it by the main bathroom where you will be training in. Put baby in it when you need to tend to your PT'er.

tackle it at home and then you will make due with being out.

put her in panties and just train.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree w/ pp.  We PT DS when I was on maternity leave.  There was a week where we really went no where, he didn't even go to daycare.  We put him in underwear and put him on the potty every 30 mins.  There were times where I had to put the baby down to tend to him, but it wasn't that big of a deal.  You just need to buckle down and get it done!!  When we go out, we make sure we have a change of clothes, he goes when we leave and as soon as we get somewhere.  It's been winter, so we haven't been out too much.
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • We did it while DH had a few days off.  So just pick a weekend and make plans to stay home all weekend.  Also, get an extra potty and stick it in your car.  I go places all the time and I have yet to take all 3 kids in the bathroom stall.  I'm not sure we'd all fit.
  • imageStacyc625:

you need to go balls to the wall and pick a week where you NEED TO BE HOME- no errands, no running around.

take baby's exersaucer, jumperoo, bouncy seat-- whatever and leave it by the main bathroom where you will be training in. Put baby in it when you need to tend to your PT'er.

tackle it at home and then you will make due with being out.

put her in panties and just train.

I agree, just make sure you're ready cuz it means 2,300 trips to the bathroom/day.  Luckily dd was going several times a day before the baby came so when I was ready to really go for it, she knew the ropes.  Keep/start really encouraging/bribing if you have to!

• I had a similar situation and I honestly found it so easy!  DD was ready to train shortly after turning 2 and I introduced the idea, but I was anxious about sending her to daycare with no more than a few days to PT at home... I was going to wait until winter break, but by then I was hugely pregnant, etc etc.  It took me longer to be ready than her. 

I did PT when DS was a few weeks old and she was 2 months shy of 3.  I camped out at home for 3 days and planned nothing but short trips for errands (1 hr tops) for the first week.  I put DS's carseat outside the bathroom door so I could plop him in there and tend to her.  She did so well, it was great! 

For public restrooms, I just bring DS with us.  I have brought them into handicapped bathrooms so I would have more room or have used individual bathrooms (non stall style).  I honestly try to plan my outings so that she can pee before and after and I have only put her on in public a few times.  Although at home, the expectation is that she will tell me when she has to go, for the first few times out, I put her on after about an hour and a half just so she would be comfortable sitting on a toilet in public and would know what to expect.  I keep a folding potty seat as well as a fresh pair of pants and underwear for her in DS's diaper bag.  I also keep her little Elmo potty in my car in case she has to go when we are not near a bathroom or if we are at a park or somewhere with a nasty bathroom. 

GL!!!

• We JUST potty trained DD last week.  We started on Tuesday and didn't go anywhere until Saturday.  When DD would have to go potty, I would have to stop what I was doing with DS.  I would just put him in a safe place (play mat, bouncy seat, exersauser, crib), run with her to the potty in be back to him in a few minutes. 

As for being out and about we have been able to fit into the handicap stall fine.  Once, that stall was being used.  I just pulled DS's stroller as close as I could to the stall and put DDon the potty with the stall door open.  That was the only way I could see/be with both kids. 

You will figure it out as you go. Trust me, it all works out!  GL!

DD~6 years old~born June 6, 2008 (1st grade)
    DS~4 years old~born November 6, 2010 (1st year of preschool)
  • Honestly, I always followed my kids lead and when they were ready, asked to use the potty we did.  With my oldest, I had my little one in the stroller if we were out and I went into the handicapped stall so we all fit or I parked the stroller right in front of a regular stall and just left the door open.  I have a travel potty that is always in the car so if I need to pull into a parking lot, I just get into the back of the van with the girls and whoever needs to go, does and I don't need to drag us all into a store.  I also have set times that we all need to try and go so that we can try and avoid some of the last min emergency bathroom runs (which is not full proof but does help).  If Mommy has to pee - the girls both have to try is a huge rule of thumb for me and many times it also works the other way - if one of the girls needs to pee - we all try.  We always go before we leave the house, 1st thing when we wake up, before meals, etc.  Daycare has the kids on a schedule so that the whole class goes at certain times and of course, they can go any other time if needed but it really does help to have some scheduled times.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • imageaforst:
    I agree w/ pp.  We PT DS when I was on maternity leave.  There was a week where we really went no where, he didn't even go to daycare.  We put him in underwear and put him on the potty every 30 mins.  There were times where I had to put the baby down to tend to him, but it wasn't that big of a deal.  You just need to buckle down and get it done!!  When we go out, we make sure we have a change of clothes, he goes when we leave and as soon as we get somewhere.  It's been winter, so we haven't been out too much.

I really disagree with the whole "put your child on the potty every 30 mins" train of thought.  Your child needs to learn to feel the need to pee and honestly, having some accidents is not a bad thing in regard to learning what it feels like.  You can have scheduled times but every 30 mins just seems way to much.  If your child is really ready to train, they will tell you when they need to go.  IF it has been a few hours, take them to the potty but every 30 mins is crazy.

Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • What Mavs said but.....I do put a pull up on for long outings.DH gets mad at me but he's not the one out and about with us alone...99% of the time he's still dry and treats it like underwear. I still pull up for naps and night time.
  • imagejlw2505:

imageaforst:
    I agree w/ pp.  We PT DS when I was on maternity leave.  There was a week where we really went no where, he didn't even go to daycare.  We put him in underwear and put him on the potty every 30 mins.  There were times where I had to put the baby down to tend to him, but it wasn't that big of a deal.  You just need to buckle down and get it done!!  When we go out, we make sure we have a change of clothes, he goes when we leave and as soon as we get somewhere.  It's been winter, so we haven't been out too much.

I really disagree with the whole "put your child on the potty every 30 mins" train of thought.  Your child needs to learn to feel the need to pee and honestly, having some accidents is not a bad thing in regard to learning what it feels like.  You can have scheduled times but every 30 mins just seems way to much.  If your child is really ready to train, they will tell you when they need to go.  IF it has been a few hours, take them to the potty but every 30 mins is crazy.

This is what ultimately worked for us too.  A couple of months ago we tried putting her on the potty frequently throughout the day, and it just went nowhere.  She'd sit and say she didn't have to go, then 10mins later she'd have an accident.  Plus she started to get irritated by it all, because we were interfering with her playtime so much.  We saw absolutely no progress.  We finally decided to make it her responsibility.  I put her in underwear and said "Ok, when you have to go potty let me know" and she was PT'd in just a couple of days.  We had an accident here and there, but not very many. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"