Natural Birth

preparing for a vaginal birth

hi ladies,

can i ask what kind of information you have been given about caring and preparing  the area down there in preparation for a vaginal birth? are you using any of the following:

1. keggles
  2. manual stretching
  3. nothing at all 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: preparing for a vaginal birth

• I did kegels as well as had my husband do perineal massage every other night beginning around 35 weeks.  The perineal massage is nothing like a "massage" - it is painful, uncomfortable and like a tearing-stretch sort of sensation.  But it works - I had less than a 1 degree tear that did not even require stitches and healed in less than a week.  In comparison, my sister in law who didn't do the perineal massage more than twice had a baby 2 lbs smaller than mine had a 3rd degree tear that took 20 minutes to stitch up. 
  • I barely did any kegels, and nothing else.  My baby was 5 lbs 11oz and I needed 2 stitches. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I rarely did kegels and I did nothing else. With my first I teared a little no stitches and with my other two I didn't tear at all. Also all of the boys were over 8 lbs.
    Wedding 6.18.04 Cole 11.20.06 Gavin 3.31.08 Parker 07.15.10 Logan 04.03.12
  • I did kegels sometimes (and still try to when I remember!) but that was all. I had 2 second degree tears (DS was 9 1/2 pounds)

I honestly think whether or not you'll tear has more to do with how you push- in what position, whether you allow yourself to stretch or not, etc... I pushed so hard and would not let myself rest- I think that's why I tore. Next time aroudn I'm going to try to be more patient and rest in between pushes!

Loss #1 2008, Loss #2 2010, Loss #3 2011, Loss #4 2012, Loss #5 2012
    Loss #6 2014 Loss #7 (chemical) 2014

~DS Born! 2009~
    ~DD Born! 2013~
    ~DD due! 2015~

• imagejteneback:
    I barely did any kegels, and nothing else.  

Me too. My baby was 7 1/2 lbs and I needed a couple stitches.  

image Don't argue with idiots, they bring you down to their level then beat you with experience. - Mrs. G
  • imagekesrya:
    I did kegels as well as had my husband do perineal massage every other night beginning around 35 weeks.  The perineal massage is nothing like a "massage" - it is painful, uncomfortable and like a tearing-stretch sort of sensation.  But it works - I had less than a 1 degree tear that did not even require stitches and healed in less than a week.

This, exactly! Another plus was that perineal massage made 3rd tri sex bearable (and sometimes even fun).

ETA: My doula did think the controlled pushing really helped as well. I pushed LO over several contractions rather than all at once, and my MW massaged as I pushed. 

Married since 09.06.08
    2012 Book Challenge: 20 of 50
    Sophia Leigh has arrived! 02.09.11
  • My MW advised against kegles... she said tightening those muscles before birthing can make it difficult for them to soften enough during childbirth. I'll be doing them right after though and trying to get those muscles back to normal!!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I do kegels on occasion just as general good vaginal tone. Ive never done anything to prepare for a birth though.

My first baby was 6lbs 12oz- my doctor cut me against my wishes and I had a couple stitches.

My 2nd baby was 8lbs 2oz- I didnt tear AT ALL. And that was actually the only little worry was that Id tear along that scarline from the episiotomy. I was incredibly pleased with that. Smile

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I did kegels. But not a regularly as I should have. I had a 8lbs 3oz DD and had a small tear and stitches.

• I did nothing in prep for birth.

Actually I lie, I tried perineal massage once and got bored.

My baby was 9 pounds and I needed 2 stitches. 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• imagemisssurly:

My MW advised against kegles... she said tightening those muscles before birthing can make it difficult for them to soften enough during childbirth. I'll be doing them right after though and trying to get those muscles back to normal!!

I don't think this is true.  I had to do pelvic floor physical therapy and kegels help you learn how to relax your pelvic muscles.  They generally give you more awareness and control over the muscles.  

OP, I'm not really doing anything.  I think our bodies are made to give birth vaginally and there isn't a whole lot of prep you need to do.  Being fit and eating healthy never hurts.  I have read that women who exercise more (in general, not necessarily doing kegels) are less prone to tearing.  I think the position you push in, how fast the baby comes out and the skill of your care provider can make a difference too.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • A good midwife blog post on perineal tearing.

https://midwifethinking.com/2010/08/07/perineal-protectors/

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"