Working Moms

how far is your work from your child's school?

we're moving... and looking at various school districts in the are. we're looking at a great school district outside of the city where dh will work. it would be 1/2 way between 2 cities (30 min approx).  so I would have more options for work however... I'm thinking say I work in the other city (jumping the gun seeing as I don't have an interview yet), he works in the other... and dd is in school in our town?  30 min too far away?  what if something happens?  ds will be at the preschool on dh's campus (for the time being).  up til now, they've been on dh's employer's campus.   

what's the farthest you and dh would work from dc's school ?  do you try to keep one of you closer to the kids' school?  

Re: how far is your work from your child's school?

• DD is in daycare near our house, and DH and I work 20 min and 30+ min away - respectively.

Hope it helps! We haven't had any issues with this yet - it's been a year.

PortraitBabyFruit Ticker
  • Ds daycare is about 5 miles from our home. I work 37 miles away and dh works about 25 miles away, both in opposite directions from our house. We chose a daycare closer to our house but also to the public school he will be going to. Daycare does afterschool pick up so that will be helpful next year.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Right now I'm 15-20, I used to be 40 mins away.  At our school, I have to name 3 people who are around during the day in case there is ever an early dismissal, emergency where I can't get to school in time or something else. I named my FIL and 2 SILs who are all home and w/in the school zone.  If not them, I would have put some neighbors down. 
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • 20 minutes away.
    Sophie Elisabeth 07.23.02 and Charlotte Abigail 12.08.04 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker ~However motherhood comes to you, it's a miracle. ~
  • Up until last month it was kiddie-corner from my office. Our office moved, so it is now 10 minutes from my work and 10 minutes from our house. Pretty much between the two.
  • Right now my son's DCP is about 10 minutes from work. Soon we're switching to one right in our neighborhood, which is 30 minutes from work. When he starts school he'll initially go to my school for pre-school, which therefore will be 0 minutes away, but then when he goes to public school it will obviously be by our house, so 30 min from work again. I'm fine with it, but I think like PP I would want to find some people in my neighborhood who could watch him in an emergency.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • PeskyPesky member
    I'm about 20 minutes away (which works out to a bit more when you factor in shutting down my computer and getting out the door).  If I work from home, it's 5-10 minutes.  So depends.  I don't think 30 minutes is unreasonable.  I just gauge if I can get there easily within the 1 hr cutoff if called to pick one of them up.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• I am 20 minutes and DH is 5 minutes.  When he starts school, he will be 6 blocks from the house and 15 minutes from DH's work and 30 minutes from mine.  But we live in the country and everything is 30 to 45 minutes away so this is not a problem for us. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"