Working Moms
Options

How to tell new employer about pregnancy?? Kinda long-sorry

Hi Ladies!

I usually frequent the 2nd tri board, but I thought this question would be better asked here....so here it is-

I've been unemployed since August & steadily looking for a job since. I work in corporate foodservice management, so jobs are rather competitve. I'm currently 18w, and right now I've got 2 employers that may be making me an offer by the end of next week. I haven't mentioned my pg in any of the interviews and I'm not really showing yet either. My question is, once I'm made an offer how should I handle informing them of my pg/ discussing my options for leave? Since the job would require me to be on my feet almost 10 hours a day, I don't know how close to my due date my dr. will want me to work.

I understand that I will not be covered my FMLA and will not be entitled to any paid leave at that point, but I would like to handle this in the best way possible, hopefully increasing my chances that the company would retain me after my leave.

A few people have told me that I'm crazy for wanting to start a job at this point, but my unemployment is going to run out prior to my due date (I'm already on my 1st emergency extension), and DH and I can't really afford to be without my income for that long a period of time.

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated!!! TIA :)

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How to tell new employer about pregnancy?? Kinda long-sorry

• Options

I would just be up front about it after you get an offer.  "I'm so excited to be working with you, I do want you to know that I am pregnant and my EDD is in August. I plan to work as long as my doctor will let me and then come back X weeks after I deliver."

I remember when we were pregnant (August 2010) a few women on my month board had this situation and it was fine.

I wouldn't necessarily think that you won't be able to be to work up to pretty close to your EDD. I was on my feet a lot the last month for work at site inspections, outside in 100 degree heat and just stayed hydrated and took frequent short breaks. I worked up to the day I delivered

• Options

I just went through this, but I was only 8 weeks pregnant.  I told my boss when she called me with the offer.  She handled it very well and honestly, it was kind of a test on my part, too.  I don't want to work somewhere where the reaction is bad.  of course it is an inconvenience.  But if this is a career move, they are investing in you long term, not short term. 

One thing you need to be clear on is your intention to come back to work after you have the baby. This is usually the biggest part of the issue anyhow.  I have had to reassure my boss a few times that I am coming back after leave.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm really not trying to be snarky here.  If you and your DH would have trouble making ends meet on just his salary then why would you get pregnant when you've been unemployed since August?  I don't know what your situation is, and if the pregnancy was planned or not, but I just think you're going to be in a tougher financial situation when the baby gets here, employed or not.  
  • Options
    I agree with a pp. If they hire you the main thing they will want to be reassured of is that you will come back after ML. My situation was a little different in that I was About 30 weeks pregnant when I was hired so they were well aware I was pregnant but I think my supervisor was more worried I wouldn't come back after mat. Leave. And as for working 10 hours on your feet, you may surprise yourself, it migh not bother you all that much. I spent 12 hours on my feet up until about 12 hours before I went in for induction. It wasn't as bad as I expected.
    Married in 2008.  Mom to 2 boys:  2010 and 2014
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"