High-Risk Pregnancy

insulin stress

I'm sitting here in L&D because of my GD. they are monitoring me now and have put me on insulin. My huge problem is I have to inject myself.... I know a lot of people do this and it should be no big deal but I am really struggling with this. The instructor has been in 2x to try and each time I chicken out and have a little breakdown. (she wants me to practice with saline). Needles freak me out, and having to actually watch myself inject myself with a needle is really doing a number on my anxiety... I just don't know how to handle this. DH is at work and I know I have to do this before I leave but as soon as I get close with the needle I start bawling. It's embarrassing to say the least. I'm a grown woman weeks from having a child and I cant even inject myself with a tiny needle... Any advice would be so greatly appreciated! thanks!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: insulin stress

• I was put on insulin at 29 weeks last time. I had a very similar reaction to you - my GD educator actually left the room to get me some water and give me a few minutes to collect myself before trying again because I was crying so hard due to the mix of fear and those darn hormones.

YOU CAN DO IT!!! I promise you can. I practiced with a syringe of saline a few times with my education, and luckily my insurance covered insulin pens with made it easier to prepare and had shorter needles See if the pens are an option for you. When you're ready to inject, take a few deep breathes to calm yourself and make sure your needle angle is good - you want to go straight in, it will hurt less. It's scary and so hard at first, but I promise you will get the hang of it quickly. 

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • What are you using for the injection?  Is it a quick pen?  You can do it.  I promise you can.  I don't even feel it when I do it I just grab a chunk of my upper leg and do it.

Good luck!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker LFWisBack Our Guardian Angels: 11.06 * 6.09 * 12.11
  • Loading the player...
  • You can do it. I used to be deathly afraid of needles, but I take injections twice a day now and it doesn't even make me flinch. Have you tried not looking at the needle as you stick it in?
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • romilromil member

I think I'm going to be in the same position as you next week. My diabetes counselor already warned me that my doctor will probably make me take insulin at night for my fasting numbers...which have slowly been going up over the last 2 weeks since i was diagnosed.

i am soooo afraid of needles...i still have to take a few deep breaths and flinch every time i prick my finger.

From what my couselor says and I've also read on here...the injections hurt less than the finger pricks.

Good luck and please post any tips or tricks you learn! I am so worked up about my dr's appointment on Monday.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• I got put on insulin yesterday, and have injected myself twice now.  I have to psych myself up to do it.  It doesn't really hurt, but it's just an odd sensation to stick yourself in the gut with a needle.  

I figure I'll be used to it by the time the baby gets here, but I'm totally wigged out by it now.   My next injection isn't for a few hours, and I'm already nervous.

I'm doing it for the baby!  I'm doing it for the baby!  Just keep repeating that.  

• thanks girls, I'm home now and am going to attempt to give it to myself tonight. I'm hoping now that I'm home and more comfortable and less anxious I can suck it up. Wish me luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"