Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

12-month blood work?

I have an appointment to take my LO in for his 12 month blood work this Friday and am having a little anxiety about it.  Do they usually do a finger stick or an arm draw?  How did your LOs handle it?  Ugh, I am just dreading this!

Re: 12-month blood work?

• Options
    My DD had it a 9 months and it was an arm draw.  She did great.  We went to quest and the women who worked there were wonderful.  DD sat on my lap and one of the workers sat next to me talking to her etc... while the other took her blood. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    it's always so weird for me to hear about routine bloodwork for toddlers.  DD will be 2 next month and has never had a blooddraw!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I guess it depends on how much blood they actually need to draw. We needed 3 vials for an allergy testing just recently.
    At first DS was okay. But then she had to move the needle because she caught a valve, and then he was p!ssed. My SO had to hold him, while i was helping keep his arm still. It was harder for me than for him. Afterwards he was flirting & cleaning with the broom until we left.
    Babies do tend to bruise with getting blood drawn, just so you aren't freaked out if you see bruising.

Good luck - and it'll be over before ya know it! It definitely is harder for the parent to see it be done.
  • Options
    Our doctors office does a heel prick but the nurse who does it was out on leave for a broken arm so we went to a Quest as well.  I was a bit freaked when I realized it was an arm draw there but they were really good there and she did really well.  I don't think she cried anymore than she did for her MMR shot and she recovered right away.  I think it just sounds scarier than it really is.
  • Options
    We just had a finger prick.  He HATED it, but was fine in just a few minutes.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We have to do this too. It is an arm draw. I am NOT looking forward to this. DD has very chubby arms and it is hard to find her vein. She has had to have an IV before and it was a nightmare. I am definitely not going to this appt. alone.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Ours was a blood draw.  It sucked.  The way we did it was with him in my lap and DH holding down his arm.  I felt so bad, but it didn't take too long.  Actually it took longer to find a vein than it did to actually draw the blood.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    CBLCBL member
    Ds has never had blood drawn.  It's not standard here.  What are they looking for?
  • Options

imageCBL:
    Ds has never had blood drawn.  It's not standard here.  What are they looking for?

Hemoglobin and lead levels...I believe it is routine but maybe it varies by pediatrician?

• Options
    We did an arm drawer.  It was traumatic for me more than him I think.  He got over it so quickly.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    a routine blood draw for an infant??????? That is really bizaare, never heard of it (I'm a pediatric nurse)... obviously it must vary by state? What are they testing for? If it's just for hemoglobin that's a quick finger/heel stick, absolutely not necessary to do a blood draw! I can't imagine anything else they'd be looking for unless it was a special circumstance like genetic testing or something... weird
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Broken boob FFing, babywearing, co-sleeping, PPD warrior,colic survivor, proud WAHM! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Momma Maven In The Making!
  • Options

imagefarrellashleigh:
    a routine blood draw for an infant??????? That is really bizaare, never heard of it (I'm a pediatric nurse)... obviously it must vary by state? What are they testing for? If it's just for hemoglobin that's a quick finger/heel stick, absolutely not necessary to do a blood draw! I can't imagine anything else they'd be looking for unless it was a special circumstance like genetic testing or something... weird

Yes, lead-testing is a requirement in some states.

• Options
    My LO had a finger poke. He cried for like 30 seconds and then was over it. He will do fine!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My DD had a blood draw at 12 months, but it was to test for a hereditary condition she might have inherited from me (she didn't, after all). It was the most horrific thing I have EVER experienced. They ended up strapping her to a table with velcro, and I have never in my life seen a child that frightened and upset. It makes me sick to my stomach every time I think about it. It was by far the worst day of my life.

Don't do it if there is no reason to. My pediatrician does not do routine bloodwork.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"