Pregnant after 35

Book recommendations......

Im not sure if any of you are looking for good pregnancy books, and books for once the baby is born, but I thought Id share a few of my favourites. You may or may not have heard of them but they have proven invaluable to me :D

Pregnancy:

Up The Duff by Kaz Cooke

Its a funny week by week pregnancy book. It made me laugh each week and im rediscovering it again this time around. Kaz is an Australian author but if you can get your hands on it - its waaaaay better than the What To Expect books......

Baby:

Save Our Sleep by Tizzie Hall.

Where would I be without Tizzie???? Her sleep methods really work especially if you start nice and early. 

My mothers group were divided in this category - the sleepers and the non sleepers. 

The sleepers all used Tizzie Hall. 

Mealtimes:

For baby - any cookbook by Annabel Karmel. Superb.

For the adults - Jamie Olivers 30 Minute Meals = a godsend for time poor mums trying to cook with kids underfoot ;)

Just some suggestions if you are looking :)

xxx

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Book recommendations......

• Happiest Baby on the Block saved my life after DS was born...good tips to help baby sleep longer.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • wondering if anyone can suggest a breastfeeding book. I feel like I need to start educating myself. someone on a post somewhere (don't ya just love Pbrain?) mentioned sleeping bras. I was like "WTF is that? I have to keep these girls racked even when I sleep???"  I am taking a class but would love something on the Kindle as reference. TIA

• Loading the player...
  • I've been looking for a good breastfeeding book and can't seem to find one that isn't written by a fanatic.

I've made my decision to breast feed if I can, but If i can't, and something goes wrong (which i've heard happens to lots of moms) don't make me feel like a total failure.

We should start a breast feeding thread and chat about what we've read/experienced!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • I'm reading The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (it's a La Leche League book).  I find it's really encouraging.

Ten months: Mr. Giggles!
    Photobucket
    A10 March Siggy: Next vacation - Maine!
    Photobucket

kikijbunny (formerly kikijbird)
    Our jbunny born April 17, 2011 at 34w 1d (EDD May 28) due to irritable ute + early dilation

Mommy Blog: And Baby Makes Pi
    Pregnancy/Baby Blog: Eggs Over Anxious
    BFP chart

Anniversary

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

imageimageimage
  • On Becoming Baby Wise talks a lot about breast feeding and sleep/wake scheduling. I found it really informative...of course I won't know until October if it actually works :)
    BFP #1 05/11/10 Natural m/c 05/17/10 BFP #2 12/07/10 Natural m/c 12/12/10 BFP #3 01/21/11 Taking Prometrium, Baby Aspirin, and two injections of heparin a day Lightning Bug was born a healthy and happy 7lbs 14oz on 9/20/211
  • imagemcwhittaker:

I've been looking for a good breastfeeding book and can't seem to find one that isn't written by a fanatic.

I've made my decision to breast feed if I can, but If i can't, and something goes wrong (which i've heard happens to lots of moms) don't make me feel like a total failure.

We should start a breast feeding thread and chat about what we've read/experienced!

I have the same attitude! If it works out, GREAT! IF it doesn't GREAT, bottles it is. It isn't something I am going to beat myself up about.Should we do the thread on here or on the breastfeeding board? I haven't ventured over there yet.  BTW, LOVIN the new photo!

Kiki- is the book super Le Leche sniper, breast feed until they go to highschool? I am weary of them, just from the rep they have about being sooo fanatical. Am I wrong?

• It's not really a book, but I have the "Countdown to My Birth" calendar.  Each day it's a new fact about baby's growth from baby's perspective.  So it's fun to hear what is going on inside there and getting a sense of how big the baby is at different stages.  Some of them are funny.
  • imagekimb311:
    imagemcwhittaker:

I've been looking for a good breastfeeding book and can't seem to find one that isn't written by a fanatic.

I have the same attitude! If it works out, GREAT! IF it doesn't GREAT, bottles it is. It isn't something I am going to beat myself up about.Should we do the thread on here or on the breastfeeding board? I haven't ventured over there yet.  BTW, LOVIN the new photo!

Kiki- is the book super Le Leche sniper, breast feed until they go to highschool? I am weary of them, just from the rep they have about being sooo fanatical. Am I wrong?

I haven't gone into the BF forums yet.. i was thinking we should talk amongst ourselves. 

The photo is actually old, i was just tired of changing it back every time they did a forum upgrade and it went back to the default LOL thing seem to have calmed down on board upgrades so i figured it was safe to put it back.

I read a free excerpt from amazon of the LLL book and it seemed a bit militant, but maybe it was just a bad excerpt? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • imagekimb311:
    imagemcwhittaker:

I am admittedly not that far into the book (Chapter 3), but I haven't seen anything yet that screams militant.  The writers are definitely pro-breastfeeding, but at least so far I just find the attitude to be to try to set yourself up for success (though admittedly there are issues beyond our control that can get in the way).  I've read that they suggest at least 6 months of exclusive breast feeding, and ideally a year (plus introducing solid foods from 6-mo to a year), and I'm sure there are examples they cite of women BFing longer, but maybe that's farther in.  Actually now I see the table of contents has a chapter on breastfeeding up to 18 months (and one on the question of breastfeeding beyond that). 

The big reason I got the book is because I wanted to get some factual information about breastfeeding techniques, to learn something about how to breastfeed, especially since I'm on house arrest.  It seems that there is a lot of specific information in the book that I think will be helpful.

I am hoping to breastfeed but I won't see myself as a failure if I can't do it.  I'll be highly disappointed if it doesn't work out because it's something I'm really looking forward to (I just learned the medications I need to take might interfere, which bums me out, and I'm hoping that won't be the case), but all I can do is learn as much as I can, give it the old college try, seek help if I need, and see what happens. 

So I might be blind to their bias, but at the moment I am enjoying the confidence and encouragement the writers provide.  Ask me again once I've read more!

ETA: The copy I have is the 8th edition (July 2010) which was apparently largely rewritten and updated from previous versions.  Don't know if that makes a difference regarding the excerpt you read, Michelle.

Ten months: Mr. Giggles!
    Photobucket
    A10 March Siggy: Next vacation - Maine!
    Photobucket

kikijbunny (formerly kikijbird)
    Our jbunny born April 17, 2011 at 34w 1d (EDD May 28) due to irritable ute + early dilation

Mommy Blog: And Baby Makes Pi
    Pregnancy/Baby Blog: Eggs Over Anxious
    BFP chart

Anniversary

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

imageimageimage
  • I think the breastfeeding class is a great thing and i dont think you can do much more than that except get as much help as you can in the hospital and dont leave until you feel confident.

My first baby i was too shy , but 2nd baby i had my boobs out for help every hour lol. Dont let any of the nurses convince you to bottlefeed your baby while youare there either. Sometimes it takes a little longer for your milk to come in and yes the baby is hungry, but only by the baby's constant sucking will it help the milk to come in faster. Nurses can be very persuasive......stick to your guns :D

• breastfeeding thread sounds great.

i bf for 4 months with my first and a year with my second. I will aim for a year with this one too. 

Breasts are amazing Big Smile

Im also very much each to their own and if its not working then bottles are fantastic.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"