Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

D&C tomorrow

I have to admit I am a little nervous. This will be my first surgery of anykind and I'm feeling a little nauseous. I'm so worried about the possible complications that it is hard to think about anything else. Anyone have any tips to help relax?

Re: D&C tomorrow

• My D&E was my first surgery of any kind as well, and believe me, I was nervous too. The drugs you are given will help tremendously. Looking back on it, my procedure was one of the most therapeutic moments of my life. It gave me a definite closure, and gave me a chance to sleep, something I hadn't had much of since I had confirmation of my pregnancy ending. Depending on how your Dr. goes through with it (I was sedated on an I.V., and was asleep for most of the procedure), there will be little you remember. I fought the medicine for some reason, maybe to realize the reality of the situation? I don't know. I wound up waking up in the middle of the procedure, and felt nothing but pressure in my belly. There was no pain.

The complications were definitely looming. My biggest concern was future pregnancies, and that I did not want to risk anything in the future by deciding to have the surgery. I realized that millions of women have gone through a D&C and millions have had healthy pregnancies after. That is what gave me hope.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Goodluck today. My D&C went great in hindsight. I literally got an iv and fell asleep then woke up feeling pretty good. It was over so fast and when I got home there basically was no "recovery" period because I barly had any spotting or pain.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I had an unplanned D&C a little over a week ago.  I found it to be a very simple procedure.  They wheeled me up from the ER to the OR prep area.  There I spoke with the nurse and the anesthesiologist.  I waited there about 5 minutes.  Then they wheeled me into the OR.  I was just barely on the operating table when I noticed the lights were starting to get a bit woozy.  I remember mumbling something about "wow, this stuff works fast."  Next thing I know I heard my name being said loudly.  I opened my eyes and was in the recovery room.  The nurse went and got me a blue popsicle.  It was delicious.  I didn't see the Doc. post-op.  He talked to my hubby and told him how the procedure went etc.  I think I was wheeled up to the OR around 7:15am and was home at 12:30pm.  

When speaking with the OBGYN and nurses pre-procedure they told me that there were minimal side effects because the D&C would involve a vacuum type device so there would be no incision, just suction.  The nurse also said in some ways it is better to have the D&C because it gets the whole experience over sooner.  I can't imagine being at home and going through the miscarriage relatively alone.  

Best of luck.  As pp said, a D&C is a fairly standard procedure and a significant amount of women have gone on to conceive post-procedure.   

BFP #1 - Missed M/C, D&C 3.21.11

BFP #2 - Sylvie V. Q. born and died on 10.28.11 at 21w. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BFP #3 - Evie V. Q. Fetal demise @ 16w. DC 7.8.12
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BFP  #4 - Beatrix V. Q. Born 6.2.13 at 23w6d.

My blog My chart
  • imagexokell2:
    Goodluck today. My D&C went great in hindsight. I literally got an iv and fell asleep then woke up feeling pretty good. It was over so fast and when I got home there basically was no "recovery" period because I barly had any spotting or pain.

This.  It will be over before you know it.  I did have some cramping afterwards..a heating pad helps if you have one.  It can also be very emotional...I broke down when I got to the hospital, so make sure you have someone there you are very close with... GL to you...and i'm so sorry for your loss.  (((hugs)))

BFP #2 7/20/11 ** EDD: 3/28/12: IT'S A BOY!
    BFP #1 12/30/10 ** EDD: 9/6/11** H/B stopped at 10w 6d conf on 2/22/11 ** D&C 2/24/11.
    Congrats to my Labor Buddy LoriJ11, baby Elise born 2/24/12
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"