Pregnant after a Loss

Birth vs. C-Section after Stillbirth

I lost my son in July at 33 weeks to stillbirth.  I know this is a personal choice, but if anyone has advice on if/how they decided on a c-section after I would love to hear it.  I can't imagine mentally going through childbirth again after the stillbirth.  Most importantly, I also think it's saferfor the baby.  I'm so concerned about complications during childbirth now.  I know c-section is more risky for me...but i'm not that worried about me right now. (i get it - i matter too! Big Smile 

Re: Birth vs. C-Section after Stillbirth

• I had a c-section with my daughter because she was breech, so I know I will have a c-section again.  I don't have any advice on how to decide.  You just have to do what feels right for you and what your doctor thinks s best.   I am so sorry for your loss.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Hi,

I was pregnant with twins and one was stillborn; she died during labor & ended up having a c/s. I have always thought that I would have another c/s because I don't mentally think I can deal with labor again. My OB has told me I can have whatever I want if we decided to have another so I will do that.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 4/9/09 - Chloe, our angel twin Lilypie First Birthday tickers>
  • Loading the player...
  • I had a c/section when we found out we lost our baby.  My H and I decided it was better for our sanity and in the end, it was necessary b/c I started to bleed out.

I wasn't given a choice of the next time.  I was scheduled for a c/section at 38w.  I had agreed to an amnio the day before to be sure the lungs were developed since *I* was  the one who said 38w but my OB and MFM agreed w/ me.  Turns out I went into labor at 37w so my plan (ha!) went out the window.  I had the repeat c/section at 37w.  For ME, it was the best option.  I really don't think I would have opted to VBAC. 

I am so sorry for your loss.

BFP #1 5/10/06 ...m/mc @11.5w 6/29/06 D&C 6/30/06
    BFP #2 10/29/08 ...stillborn via c/s @41w 7/20/09
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    missing my baby everyday
    BFP #3 1/20/10 My angel's little sister Grace Madison was born September 8th 2010 @37w. We're so blessed! Thank you angel for getting her here safely.
    BFP #4 12/30/11. Jackson Christopher 8/22/2012 via repeat c/s @ 37w 3d
  • I did not have a stillbirth but did have a late loss. My OB has advised me that through her experience as an OB she has learned that labor is a very difficult process for anyone who has gone through a late loss. She said it is difficult to know how you are going to react emotionally and that emotional stress can make the physical stress of labor much worse. We have decided to have a scheduled c-section so that things will go smooth and I will have less to worry about, assuming little one does not decide to show up early of course. Good luck to you in making this decision I know it can be overwhelming to think about!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • So sorry to hear of your loss.  I too had a stillbirth.  My daughter died in the 39th week, due to UCA, and I vaginally delivered her.  For me, that was the best decision.  I understand where the other ladies are coming from though.  I am pregnant again, and we're planning another vaginal birth, but induced in the 37-38 week range.  I asked my doctor if I should just plan on having a C-section.  He didn't see any reason to pursue a C-section unless necessary. 

I would say that you just need to do what feels best for you.  There are positives and negatives on each side. 

I do know of a fellow BLM who also had a full term stillbirth.  She recently delivered her rainbow baby via vaginal birth.  She has a happy and healthy baby boy at home now...It always helps me to know of a real life situation where it has worked (or hasn't worked) for others.

Best of luck!!! 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"