Baby Showers

Should I throw my sister a sprinkle?

Before anyone jumps on the sister thing, it is the norm in my area for family to host showers. That being said, here's the situation.

It's my sister's third child. She has a girl who's about to turn 16, and a boy who just turned 2. She had a small shower 2 years ago for him. She's due in July with a girl.

I'm debating offering her a sprinkle, but I don't know if she'll go for it. I don't want to offend her, which she will be if she feels it looks like she's hunting for presents. I'd just like to have a little get-together before the baby comes.

What do you guys think? You seem to be the experts.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Should I throw my sister a sprinkle?

• If I were going to do anything in this situation, I would do a meet-the-baby luncheon or drop-in once her LO is here.  I don't think a 3rd child (and 2nd one in 2 years) warrrants a gift-giving celebration ahead of time.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagekgunz11:
    If I were going to do anything in this situation, I would do a meet-the-baby luncheon or drop-in once her LO is here.  I don't think a 3rd child (and 2nd one in 2 years) warrrants a gift-giving celebration ahead of time.

I thought about doing that, but it doesn't seem like my place to offer to throw a meet-the-baby party, as that's more work for her. Maybe I'll just take her out for mani/pedis or something.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • What about a luncheon of her closest girl friends to pamper mom before the baby arrives?  It would be an opportunity for her to have some "me" time and a nice memorable occasion without seeming gift-grabby. 
  • I'm not quite sure how a "meet the baby" party would be more work for her if YOU are the one hosting it.  I've hosted a couple of them for other people and even hosted my own for my 2nd son.  It wasn't a lot of work (no work really) for the new-mom.  You can host it at her home if it makes things easier for her...or at another venue (her home, park, clubhouse, etc).

You can also offer a sprinkle.  You won't know if she will turn it down until you ask her.  If she turns that down then maybe go with the "meet the baby" party.

• My SIL surprised me with a little sprinkle, and we're having our second girl in 3 years. No games, just a gift from each guest and a cake the day of the Super Bowl. We opened gifts during a commercial break. I was very appreciative, since I was not expecting anything or even imagining that something would be done. The only people that were there were parents, brothers, sisters, and one friends couple. 

You can surprise her, or offer. A surprise makes it obvious to all invited guests that she's not hunting for gifts. IMO it never hurts to extend yourself to do something nice. I'd keep it very small, regardless.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"