Orange County Babies

How much to pay?

We are considering getting help for one to two evenings a week for two hours. I would be home but need someone to play with DD while I get dinner ready. They would also help DD dinner but that's it. Anyone find minimum wage fair to pay?

Also, anyone use care.com? What was your experience?

TIA.

Re: How much to pay?

• Last time I needed a baby-sitter I paid $10/hour. It seemed fair to me.
  • I have three DD's and I began an account on Care.com and have heard great things about it. The people that contacted me asked for $10-15hr and that was for 3 girls. My oldest doesn't need taking care of but she does need someone to look after her and she is more of a helper to the sitter. I ended up finding a friend of the family who is 18 who helps us out probably once a week or once every two weeks and her mom and I talked and she wanted $12/hr. I pay her the same whether I am in the house or she in on her own. She has free range to all the food in the house as well. Tomorrow she is going grocery shopping with me and helping with the little ones at the store and I will pay her the same amount as if she was watching the girls on her own. Part of me thinks she deserves more than what I pay her which is why I pay her the same whether she is on her own or not and when she watches one DD instead of all 3, no matter what I pay her the max of what she asks and sometimes I take her out to eat or buy her things. My girls are very easy and my oldest helps out alot as well.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I just recently used care.com to find a midday sitter for my 9month old son. Check online for coupon codes, I saved 20%! We use her 1-2 times a week.

I was very honest is what we needed and how much we could afford when I posted the job. I got over 25 responses, although many clearly did not read my posting. I responded to 9, clarifying our needs and compensation and asked that they respond if everything was agreeable. I ended up getting 5 responses.

Two have already fallen through, one girl is awesome and we have continued to have her back. We are meeting another girl this week.

All in all, it was a bit frustrating when I was canceled on and when a sitter just stopped responding, but absolutely worth it. We found an amazing sitter, who is great with my son, and who watches him for $6/hour!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"