Parenting after a Loss

Was in ER last night with bleeding oozing Csection incision and fever

I was pretty pissed when I called the L&D of the hospital that did my Csection and they told me "go to the ER." My doctor is out this week bc she had surgery but I was angry because THEY did my surgery, and they're going to send me to ER? Anyhow....

The ER said that I should take Keflex,a  stronger antibiotic, and follow up with my OB 'asap.' My incision staples were removed only 2 days after my surgery and I'm wondering if this was too soon. They put Steri-strips over the incision when removing staples. The strips on the left side are all about to come off bc of the oozing/blood drainage. They did say when they applied the strips on 3-19, that they should "fall off on their own or you can take them off if they don't fall off by a week" which should be today. However I am hesitant to take them off for fear the incision will pop open. After reading horror stories on Dr. Google, I am feeling sicker than before and hope that none of those stories happen to me.

I am venting but also looking for any advice if something similar to this happened to you. Thanks for reading! And excuse my siggy - it won't update no matter how many times I try. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Was in ER last night with bleeding oozing Csection incision and fever

• My staples came out quick and I had steri-strips also. They fell off within a week except for two which I removed. I am not sure if I would remove anything if you have an infection but don't worry about the ones that fell or are falling off. I'm sorry you're dealing with this and I hope you're better soon!
    Oct 2008 m/c #1 5 weeks, May 2009 m/c #2 4w5d. BFP 6/23/09 EDD 3/8/10!
    You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you stop to look fear in the face. -Eleanor Roosevelt
    After 1 year of TTC#2 BFP May 2011 m/c #3 4w2d. Off to RE.

Round 1: Femara + Ovidrel +TI = BFP! EDD 2/20/12
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    2IF does not always equal 3IF...Surprise!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I'm sorry! Did the ER check your urine to make sure you don't have a UTI? Are you BFing? There are other sources of fever in post-partum women and I'm hoping they didn't miss anything. What is oozing from your c-section? Clear stuff? Bloody stuff? Puss? Is there redness around the surgery site? Tenderness? Hope you feel better ASAP!!!
    BFP#1 May 17, 2008
    Surgery for ectopic pregnancy June 3, 2008
    BFP #2 September 25, 2008
    Baby boy born June 4, 2009 at 40 weeks
    8 pounds 13 ounces and 23 inches
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP #3 February 6, 2011
    First U/S February 25, 2011 = TWINS!!!
    Boy/girl twins born October 4, 2011
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm so sorry.  I had a bit of an unusual situation with my c-section, so I can't help you there, but I did have a post-surgical infection with my myomectomy and it was scary as hell.   I hope the antibiotics work and that you can see your surgeon soon!  Nothing like dealing with this on top of new baby care. 
  • As a nurse I will tell you - DO NOT TAKE OFF THE STERI STRIPS - unless its been almost 2 weeks. For any surgery we use those for - we always tell our patient's to leave them on as long as possible even if they start to peel up. I hope you feel better.
  • Ick! That sounds awful!  My staples were left in over a week and they got VERY irritated, red and oozy.  Finally, they took them out in the OB's office and she replaced them with steri-strips for another 2 weeks.  They also got oozy and gross.  I hope things clear up for you soon!
    Twin boys born too early at 17w4d and 18w2d in February 2010
    Transabdominal cerclage placed September 2010
    DS born at 35w1d in February 2011
    Twin girls born at exactly 36w in February 2013
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • JenyMJenyM member
    Something similar happened to me. One night about a week or 2 after my c-section, I started oozing and bleeding from incision site. I went to ob next day. I developed a pocket of fluid between the layers of tissue and basically it came thru a 1-2cm opening at the incision. They have no idea how it happened. I had to go to the ob 3x a week for 3 weeks for would cleansing and wear a gauze bandage at the incision. It was really painful and my recovery totally sucked. Not sure if this is what's happening to you. I was on antibiotics due to an ear infection and upper respiratory infection after I left the hospital. Doc said good thing I was. That prevented an infection at the site. Feel free to page or pm me if you need any more info. Hope your recovery is speedy!
    BFP#1 missed m/c-d&c 10/27/08, BFP#2 BO-natural m/c 5/15/09, BFP#3 8/12/09-DS born 4/2010, BFP#4=TWINS-missed m/c&d/c 6/15/11, BFP#4 11/22/11- please stay with me
  • I had my c/s on monay and staples were removed on Friday.  It ended up opening back up on one side of the incision and I had to pack it 2x a day for a week.  It thankfully was a small area.  Hope you start feeling better soon. 
    From miscarriages, a diagnosis of a bicornuate uterus, and fibroid removal surgery...It's been quite the journey but it was all well worth it. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"