Tennessee Babies

UT Hospital - Any Experience with their L&D?

My group of Drs. only deliver @ UT Hospital (Knoxville). I was born there many moons ago and my Mom was very pleased by her experience there. Have any of you delivered there or planning to? I know poeple who have delivered everywhere but UT in recent years and can't seem to find anyone that has delivered there more recently. Basically, I was just curious about your experience there. Any feedback is appreciated. :)

Thanks ladies!

imageimage
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
~ Winston Churchill

Re: UT Hospital - Any Experience with their L&D?

• I delivered at UT in December and I had a good experience.  I have never been hospitalized before so I don't really have much to compare it to!! 

When you check in you will be put into a L&D room.  They are pretty nice, the one I had was really big, had a shower and tv.  As long as you haven't been induced you will be able to get up and walk around, they do have the remote units, but apparently they don't work the best because the belts with the monitors tend to shift a lot.  I was the only one in the ward delivering the night I went it, so I got a lot of attention from the nurses, but not so much that it was intrusive.  I had to be induced, so there was a little more monitoring. 

After delivery you will be moved to the post-partum ward, which is just down the hall.  The rooms there are smaller, but still ok.  They have showers in them as well as chairs that fold out so that your SO or other support person can room in with you.  They encourage rooming in with baby, but they do have a nursery that you can send LO to if you need to get some sleep. 

They have LC's on staff (that work M-F 9-5) that you can request to see if you choose to BF. 

They also have the NICU down the hall. 

You can call and they offer tours of L&D and the PP wards and will answer all of your questions there. 

hth....if you have more questions let me know!

• imagejigglyjelloo:

I delivered at UT in December and I had a good experience.  I have never been hospitalized before so I don't really have much to compare it to!! 

When you check in you will be put into a L&D room.  They are pretty nice, the one I had was really big, had a shower and tv.  As long as you haven't been induced you will be able to get up and walk around, they do have the remote units, but apparently they don't work the best because the belts with the monitors tend to shift a lot.  I was the only one in the ward delivering the night I went it, so I got a lot of attention from the nurses, but not so much that it was intrusive.  I had to be induced, so there was a little more monitoring. 

After delivery you will be moved to the post-partum ward, which is just down the hall.  The rooms there are smaller, but still ok.  They have showers in them as well as chairs that fold out so that your SO or other support person can room in with you.  They encourage rooming in with baby, but they do have a nursery that you can send LO to if you need to get some sleep. 

They have LC's on staff (that work M-F 9-5) that you can request to see if you choose to BF. 

They also have the NICU down the hall. 

You can call and they offer tours of L&D and the PP wards and will answer all of your questions there. 

hth....if you have more questions let me know!

Thank-you so much! It helps to hear that you had a good experience. I've never been hospitalized either (knock on wood), so this is all new to me.

Thanks again!

imageimage
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    ~ Winston Churchill
  • Loading the player...
  • My sister went into labor two months early when she had her 2nd (he's now a happy, healthy 2 year old).  She was transfered to UT from Morristown so he could be in the NICU.  She said her experience at UT was better than it was at Baptist West (where she had her first) and the folks at the NICU were so wonderful and took such good care of our boy!
  • imageacaver:
    My sister went into labor two months early when she had her 2nd (he's now a happy, healthy 2 year old).  She was transfered to UT from Morristown so he could be in the NICU.  She said her experience at UT was better than it was at Baptist West (where she had her first) and the folks at the NICU were so wonderful and took such good care of our boy!

I'm sorry she had to be transferred, but glad to hear she had a good experience @ UT. Thanks for sharing!!!

imageimage
    ~ Winston Churchill
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"