Pre-School and Daycare

The gimmies???

what do you do for a 4 yr old with the gimmies? mine is out of control i tried everything~
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Re: The gimmies???

• Not to sound mean or rude but be the parent and just say no.  End the conversation and if your kid has a tantrum about it, let them but don't give in.  You need to be consistant and firm in whatever you decide.  If you are in public and your child has a tantrum because you said no, take the child out - go to the car, a grassy area near by - whatever but don't give in.  After a few tantrums and you not giving in, it will start to get better.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • We have a book called Dora and the Crystal Kingdom, where there is a "greedy king". When DD says gimme, or grabs, I say she sounds like the greedy king (and of course we know that's not a good thing!). Sometimes that helps.

Since you didn't give context I am not sure what else to add but I agree that saying no and meaning it helps. I use this for whining, and say "when you talk that way you don't get what you want". GL! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • No is what helps me with my son best.  He knows I never give in when I say no.  Consistency is key I feel.

Also if it is something she really wants at say a store I think 4 is a great age to start teaching her about earning money and saving up for something.  We are already starting this with Harmon.  I buy him say the train he is dying for but I tell him he can't have it to play with until he earns it.  We have a star chart and I tell him the train is 9 stars and so he has to help me with 9 special projects before he "buys" his train.  It has helped curb gimmes and is teaching him a valuable lesson that in life you need to earn things.

Mom to Harmon 1/17/08 and twins Rachel & Callum 8/28/09 Photobucket 29o0v13.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"