North Carolina Babies

PT Question for you experts

When your LO first tells you they need to use the potty - how long do you let them sit there and try.  Do you grab a book and hope for the best? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: PT Question for you experts

• I let him sit as long as he will sit.  If he doesn't go I will keep putting him back or asking him to sit back down until he gets mad about it.  Most of the time he just goes, but sometimes I pull out all the stops and give him stickers to put on his legs and hands.
    My sweet boy :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If she's said she needs to go, and then decides she "doesn't need to," we'll make her count to 5 (slowly, we'll count along). Usually she'll go, but if not, we take her off. We never make her sit there, and don't give her any books or other things to entice her to sit longer. If she doesn't have to go, she gets off. We just remind her again that she has to keep her undies dry and to let us know when she needs to go potty. We've tried to always put the ball in her court, and it's worked well for us.

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

• Loading the player...
  • The few times she asked to go we put her on and then she would say "all done" but nothing happened.  Then we take her off the potty, get her pants on - and probably 10 minutes later you can tell she's going to the bathroom.  Hmmmm
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagecate1119:
    The few times she asked to go we put her on and then she would say "all done" but nothing happened.  Then we take her off the potty, get her pants on - and probably 10 minutes later you can tell she's going to the bathroom.  Hmmmm

I'd make her sit for at least a few seconds, distract with a song, or countdown, or whatever. Also maybe remind her of the prize she gets if she goes (if she gets one--we did stickers on a chart & a mini m&m at first--now just stickers).

Is she still wearing diapers? I whole heartedly believe in the straight to underwear technique. It feels icky to them to have a wet/dirty pair of undies, where it won't bother them in a diaper. Just keep reminding her that she has to keep her undies clean and dry, and how proud of her you'll be if she does. If she does have an accident, involve her in the clean up, and make it take a long time--so that she associates peeing/pooping her pants with something unpleasant (like not being able to play until she's cleaned up).

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

• imagecate1119:
    The few times she asked to go we put her on and then she would say "all done" but nothing happened.  Then we take her off the potty, get her pants on - and probably 10 minutes later you can tell she's going to the bathroom.  Hmmmm

This is us too. She'll sit on the potty and even though she doesn't have a diaper on she won't pee on the floor or anything and we'll just let her sit on the potty in the living room. As SOON as we put a diaper on her she pees. UGG. She will also sit on the potty/ring and say I DID IT and she is dry. She's starting coming right away after a poop and asking me to change her "take it out" so I am hoping that is a good sign for things to come. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"