2nd Trimester

Salicylic Acid

Hi, all. Has anyone inadvertently

used
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Salicylic Acid

• Oops sorry, my computer just blipped and this posted without my finishing the post. 

I was going to ask if anyone has accidentally used a skin care product with salicylic acid in it.  I just realized last night that I have about 1-2 times a week since getting pregnant.  I'm freaking now.  It never occurred to me to check the ingredients b/c it was not a product for acne....can anyone put my mind at ease or should I be worried?

• my face wash and moisturizer both have it in it (minimal amounts). Never thought it was a bad thing... maybe I should check on that?
  • Loading the player...
  • Salicylic acid is definitely not recommended for use. I asked my derm about it early on. But, I don't know why exactly.  There obviously is not much you can do about the fact you already used it, but I would just stop using it going forward.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie - (hfj2)
  • I use it everyday in my face wash. Asked my midwife specifically, the concern is in lotions or facials which would sit on your skin for long amounts of time. Face wash is fine to use 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My doc said don't use it because Salicylic acid is aspirin and not good for you while pregnant.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Salicylic acid is the same ingredient that is in the same family as the ingredient in asprin, which you aren't supposed to take while pregnant. I use a face wash with salicylic acid. The studies that showed a problem were when high doses were taken orally. I talked to my doctor about it, and as long as I'm just using the face wash, and washing it off right away, I feel ok about it. I stopped using any kind of topical treatments and toners. But I would discuss this with your doctor and see what they think. 
    BabyFruit Ticker image
  • I think everyone's dr opinion is different.  My dr said it was totally fine to use my face wash with .5% and lotion is 2% in it.  It is the same as aspirin but it on your face and you not ingesting it he said.  That little amount won't effect anything even if it does get absorbed.  Plus they prescribe aspirin for some pregnant patients anyway.  So I would ask your dr since everyone's seems to have a different opinion.
  • I used it a few times- on my face and on an ingrown hair. I have stopped after reading on the net and I have switched to a lesser pregnant evil of tea tree oil.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It's fine to use topically. The amount that would be absorbed is so minimal that it doesn't pose a risk to the fetus. 

Re; Aspirin, it's the same amin ingredient, however, you avoid ingesting aspirin because of the blood thinning affects. It has no apparent affects on congenital abnormalities or birth defects.  

BabyGaga
    Pregnancy # 6
    4 missed chances
    2 loving children
    1 on the way
  • I was taking 1 baby aspirin a day before I knew I was pregnant, about 2 or 3 weeks. I did quite a bit of research on the subject because it made me nervous, and I wasn't sure if the benefits outweighed the risks of taking it. I stopped as soon as I got my BFP, and with my midwife's advice, I haven't resumed taking it, but I really am not nervous about the exposure before knowing I was pregnant.

According to research, women taking oral aspirin (didn't even mention salicylic acid face washes/cremes) had a slightly increased risk for miscarriage in the first tri, but if taken before 14 weeks, had a slightly reduced risk of developing pre-eclampsia. I would probably stop using it, but that is just me, I have been trying to steer clear of chemicals and meds.

• I'm sure your fine.  Many women who do IVF have to take baby aspirin for the first 12 weeks of their pregnancy.  It acts like a blood thinner, and actually lets more blood flow go to the uterus to sustain the pregnancy.  Others are prescribed Rx blood thinners (those who have some clotting issues).  I'm sure the small amount that is found in your lotion would be fine, otherwise there would HAVE to be a BIG WARNING....DO NOT USE WHILE PREGNANT, or you could sue them for millions of dollars.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Thank you all for your input. I gave my doctor a call and she said she doesn't have a problem with using it.  The levels of SA are so low in OTC products and she said it really doesn't get into your system.  I will discontinue use; however, just to save myself all this worry....does it ever end??!!!

• Under 2% is fine. Think about how much you would actually have to use for it to get into your bloodstream through your skin and then through the placenta. I think anything Over the Counter is under 2%.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • topical salycic acid is no biggie--I use extra strength proactiv (have since before pregnant) and my ob okay'ed it. It's the oral SA that you need to avoid
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"