High-Risk Pregnancy

shortened cervix - average delivery week?

for those of you out there that have had shortened cervix in the past - what week were you in when you delivered.  Just trying to determine if there could be a possibility i could go early?

Re: shortened cervix - average delivery week?

• its not that cut and dry, and what I was told was that no one can predict when you will deliver...its all about your body!

I had a verrrry short cervix (see siggy for details) and went into labor at 31 weeks (10mms of cervix), got it stopped thankfully. The stitches were cut out at 36weeks when I started to dialate. I had zero cervix left and opened 2cm for a week until I delivered at 37 weeks. 

by now in your pregnancy, your cervix will start to shorten in preparation, its more important to measure dialation now as an indicator (or a fFN test)

• i'm aware everyone is different and there is no way to possibly predict... just thought I'd conduct a little survey and see how many times those of us in the same situation did go early.
  • Loading the player...
  • My first pregnancy went fine. Delivered at 40 weeks with no indication of cervical issues.

The 2nd one, I lost my son at 22 weeks due to an infection; IC was suspected here.

For the 3rd, had a preventative cerclage at 14 weeks, funneled and shortened to 0.5cm at 21 weeks. Tossed into hospital on emergency bed-rest. Remained stable and was discharged at 28 weeks to home bed-rest. Delivered at 39 weeks (scheduled C-section).

It all depends but I do feel bed-rest has a huge part to play in how far you can go.

Nutmeg, cilantro, sage, mint, thyme... these are a few of my favorite things! Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest! We have four children; one left us too soon.
  • had an emergency cerclage at 21weeks with dd..cervix shortened to a 1.3,,my cerlcage was taken ot at 35w5d and I didn't deliver 'til 38w5d!

but I was on super strict bedrest from week 21-35!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • With #1, we never measured my cervix b/c we didn't realize there was a problem but I went into PTL at 32w and started dilating at that point.  I was 4cm by 36 weeks but didn't deliver until 39w5d.

With #2, we started bi-weekly checks b/c of PTL with #1.  My cervix started shortening at 24 weeks....it was 1.9cm.  I delivered at 35w5d.

Here's a website that predicts delivery time:

https://www.keepemcookin.com/prevention.aspx

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Went into PTL with my daughter at 26 weeks, cervix was 1.6.  I was put on mag sulfate in the hospital on strict bedrest and made it to 33 weeks, 5 days.

It is so dependent upon your exact situation - outcomes can vary so much. Try not to worry, that won't help anything for sure.

BFP #1 May 2008: live miscarriage at 12.5 weeks
    BFP #2 February 2009: Beautiful baby girl born at 33weeks 5days after 8 weeks of PTL, hospital bedrest and mag sulfate
    BFP #3 September 2010: miscarried at 6.5 weeks
    BFP #4 January 2011: Cerclage placed at 12.5 weeks, live miscarriage at 14 weeks RPL testing May 2011 - FOUND Factor V Leiden and slight autoimmune issues! Never so excited to have something wrong with me!
    BFP #5 August 2011: Aspirin and Lovenox - trying one more time!IT'S A BOY!!!
    BabyFetus Ticker image
  • My cervix shortened to 1.8mm at 22 weeks.  I was on bed rest and progesterone suppositories until 35 weeks.  Still haven't delivered despite MFM's predictions that it would happen immediately (and I've been all over the place including Coscto yesterday where I bought a 40 pound bag of dog food).  Go figure.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • With DD we didn't ever know anything was wrong, until at 27 weeks I went to the hospital for some bleeding and found out I was 2 cm dilated and contracting every 2 minutes, I was also 80% effaced. Never was told how long it was though. With a lot of trips to the hospital and a lot of steroids and terbutaline I made it to 40 weeks 4 days with her. This time we found out that my cervix is short at 6 weeks (it was 2.8cm then) at 15 weeks it was 3.09cm, so I'm doing good according to the Drs. I go again in 2 weeks to measure it again and I"m hoping it is staying at 3!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks everyone for  your input.  Best wishes to all!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"