June 2011 Moms

Chivalary is dead: NBR, mini-vent

Saturday I decided to head down to the bookstore to get some more ideas for nursery decor. And, since DH took the car to work that morning, I decided to just hop on the bus since it was so nice out. This was the first time this year I've been able to get out without my winter coat on, and I was more then happy to show off my awesomely huge baby bump! Well, I get on the bus, and it was CROWDED! Apparently, I was not the only one who decided to head to the mall on a sunny weekend afternoon (who would've thought, right?). The vast majority of the bus patrons were teenagers, and all of the seats were taken up and a few teens were already standing. And, do you know what happened? Not one single kid offered to give up their seat to an obviously pregnant woman! Did their parents not teach them about this thing called manners? Luckily, someone got off a few stops after that, so I was able to snag a seat then.

But, the lousy etiquette doesn't end there folks! A few more stops after I sat down, a blind man with his daughter and seeing-eye dog gets on the bus. And STILL no one offered them their seat! I was about to give them my seat (because I thought blind man with kid trumped pregnant woman) when an older gentleman in the back offered them his seat (while loudly chastising the teens on the bus for not doing it Smile).

My son, will SO be raised better then those horrible kids! I'd love to slap each and every one of their parents!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary my read shelf:
Tawny's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) image

Re: Chivalary is dead: NBR, mini-vent

• That is terrible. I can not believe some people. What I believe is common sense (because my parents did a good job raising me I guess), just isn't to other people. It's sad.
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image"">imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • This has always been one of my pet peeves! And it bothers me even more now that I'm pregnant and one of those people who would appreciate a seat being offered!! I agree... I will raise my son to be better than that too :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ugh, that's terrible. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I ride the bus to/from work everyday, and i NEVER get a seat. They just did (and are planning on doing more) major route cuts, so the bus has gotten quite packed. And this isn't even teenagers we are talking about. This is a bunch of working adults that sit there and turn a blind eye.

There is a handicapped man that rides and I couldn't even count how many times I have given up my seat for him, while men just sit there and relax.

I have had this conversation with my mom and husband so many times I could puke.

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • When I was still commuting, it wasn't a problem on my regular bus route because it isn't that crowded, but when I had to take BART or MUNI, which always seemed to be packed, someone always gave me their seat.  Usually it was women about my age or men--never teenagers.  If I'd ever gotten on and no one had offered, I would have asked the people in the disabled seating to let me sit down, and I would not have felt ashamed for it! 

My kids will definitely be taught to offer their seats to pregnant women, the disabled, the elderly, and generally anyone who looks like they need it more than they do.  I would be ashamed to be the parents of those rude teenagers on your bus, OP! 

• This kills me!  My bump is huge and I still only get offered a seat on the Metro maybe 60% of the time. 

One time, I saw a woman with a missing leg who was hopping along on crutches get onto Metro and no one offered her a seat, including the jerks who were sitting in the priority seating that's reserved for disabled and elderly passengers.  I was a few rows back but I gave her my seat, offering it very loudly, so the other jerks could feel ashamed.  Doubt they did, though.  The poor woman looked like she was going to fall down if she had had to try to stay upright with the train stopping and starting.  People just don't make eye contact when they get on the train and get a seat, it's maddening.

Been away from theBump for a while, getting active again for all the good advice :)Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • As part of the younger crowd (20-24 years) it sickens me when I see a pregnant woman, elderly or disabled person get on the transit, and people just turn a blind eye. I've always given my seat up, sometimes arguing with a elderly woman and "bullying" her to take my seat. My daughter will definately have better manners, and will always give her seat up for those in greater need.
  • And it's not just dead on buses... I am yet to have a door opened for me, paid grocery store employees never offer to help me out to my car, and I have never had anyone offer me a hand when it was obvious I was bogged down. I always think it is because everyone around is fat or pregnant and so people are desensitized. (P.S. that isn't a joke either)
    image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Annabelle Photobucket
  • When I was pregnant with DD I was in college and took the shuttle from one end of campus to the other and I always ended up standing. The other place it bothers me is when there is a long wait at a restaurant and the little seating there is is taken up by kids, teenagers and healthy young adults while I am pregnant and struggling to juggle my 2 year old, diaper bag and coats...so frustrating

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

• I am the do-gooder scoutgirl. The kind of person that even changes seats just so that two people that came in together can sit together (I mention this because it seems that, although it doesn't mean having to stand, for some reason it seems to be an even rarer phenomenom). So that kind of rudeness really bothers me. I mean why would choose to be nasty when it will cost you so little to be so nice? 

I have a good one about that: a few months ago, when I was already pregnant, but still not showing, I was at a hotel and had my hands full with some bags (tourists stuff) and I went to catch the elevator alone, because DH (also with a ton of bags) was at the reception buying an internet card and I desperately needed to pee. When the elevator arrived, a man ran into it in front of me and let the elevator's doors start to close. Luckily, I could "jump" in before they were shut and managed to board. Now get this: once I was inside, after I struggled to hit my floor button in spite of all the bags (he just watched, I mean, it never even occurred to him that the might help me with that) , the jerk had the nerve to hit on me! "Oh, is this your first visit to Amsterdam? Maybe I'll be seeing you around..." I didn't even reply, I just glared at him unbelievingly. I mean, really! Newsflash, pal: wanna get a woman's attention? How about not being an ass?

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"