Indiana Babies
Options

Anyone ever walk or run a mini while pregnant?

So I'm signed up the mini in May, and I still really want to do it.  Although I did run a marathon two months before I got pregnant, I have totally counted out running this.  I've cut back to 3-4 miles only once or twice a week, and I'm moving like a slow boat to China.

That being said, I'd still like to walk it.  I'll be almost 20 weeks pregnant.  Anyone ever done this or have a friend who's done it while pregnant?  In my mind I will totally be up for it (it's really not that far away and I feel like I could go out and do it this afternoon if I had to), but my mom is worried about it and doesn't think it's smart to try it.  (I'd be walking it with her to keep her company, mainly.)  I'm a big follower of the "listen to your body" rule and will definitely stop during the race if I'm not feeling right.

Just curious to hear anyone else's experience!   

Re: Anyone ever walk or run a mini while pregnant?

• Options

You might want to post this on the H&F board on the Nest... there are a couple girls there who have run long races like that while pregnant, and one who is training for next month's Boston Marathon and will be 20 weeks when she runs it.

#PerfectStrangers

2012 Races:
    1/28 - Planet Adventure night trail 1/4-marathon - 1:25:47
    3/24 - Sam Costa half marathon - 2:02:47
    4/14 - Hoosier 10 miler - 1:25:21 (8:32) PR!
    7/8 - XTERRA Freedom Fest Hawaii 10K
    9/1 - Indianapolis Women's Half Marathon
    10/20 - Indianapolis Marathon Relay
    11/4 - Monumental Marathon (full marathon #2)
    11/22 - Drumstick Dash 4.5mi
  • Options

Obviously I've never done it myself, but ~20 weeks is about the latest I'd try actually running a race. Seeing/hearing too many cases of later-term pregnant women running  and having serious issues with uterine prolapse, etc was enough to limit me to walking during the second half of my pregnancies. But, there are plenty of women who are avid runners who continue running throughout their pregnancies. I think it depends in how conditioned you and your ligaments are...

ETA: I would definitely be less nervous about walking the mini - I think that's still an amazing goal!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I signed up to run it 2 years ago and found out I was pregnant 2 weeks later... of course! I would have been around 26 weeks and my OB told me absolutely not to walk it, even though I worked out for an hour or two 4-5 days a week.But by the time came anyway, no way I wanted to get up that early in the morning and miss out on precious sleep to go walk 13.1 miles!  So Talk to your OB about it! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Amy - thanks, great advice.  The Nest boards are blocked at work for some reason, but I'll XP tonight.  Congrats on your PR in the Polar Bear.  Awesome time!!

Whitney/SoccerMom - I do just need to ask my OB if she feels comfortable with me doing it.  I think the answer will be no - she's been pretty conservative on other exercise-related questions I've asked in the past.  For example, she said I could keep running, but to keep my heartrate under 140.  From what I've read, that seems like pretty old school advice (the HR at 140)...and, ummmm, it's impossible for me to do much more than walk briskly at an incline on a treadmill and keep it below 140.

It's interesting to hear different OB's opinions about the topic.  A friend of mine will be 27 weeks pg at the time of the mini, has only trained for one in the past, and her doctor told her to go for it and run it.   

I guess bottom line is that while I'd like to participate, I want to be smart about it above all.  Missing the mini one year is no big deal and I don't want to be reckless...but I don't feel like it's unreasonable.

• Options
    imageSweetTea*83:

Amy - thanks, great advice.  The Nest boards are blocked at work for some reason, but I'll XP tonight.  Congrats on your PR in the Polar Bear.  Awesome time!!

You're welcome, and thanks!  Cool

#PerfectStrangers

2012 Races:
    1/28 - Planet Adventure night trail 1/4-marathon - 1:25:47
    3/24 - Sam Costa half marathon - 2:02:47
    4/14 - Hoosier 10 miler - 1:25:21 (8:32) PR!
    7/8 - XTERRA Freedom Fest Hawaii 10K
    9/1 - Indianapolis Women's Half Marathon
    10/20 - Indianapolis Marathon Relay
    11/4 - Monumental Marathon (full marathon #2)
    11/22 - Drumstick Dash 4.5mi
  • Options

I walked the mini last year when I was pregnant with Nora.  I was 16 weeks pregnant.  My OB told me as long as I wore a heart rate monitor didn't go about a certain BPM  Drank enough to pee at every available porta potty, and stopped if I started to feel bad that I could do it.

Talk to you OB and see what they say.  It was also my 2nd pregnancy so she was less concerned.

Deleted
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"