Detroit Babies

Gas

Dayne seems to have a funny latch with the bottle (we've moved over to 100% formula so no BF anymore) and when he sucks you can HEAR the air he's swallowing.  Which leads to painful screams with gas issues.  We have the Avent bottles - sooooo many people told us to use Dr. Brown so we bought two bottles this past weekend to try out and you can still hear all the air he's taking in. 

I have also heard that those drop ins can help too but some moms say they make the problem worse.  I have given him Mylicon a few times but I don't want that to be my go to for his gas issues, I'd rather fix the problem.  Any suggestions?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Gas

• Sounds like the issue is his 'latch' more than the bottles if he's still taking in air with the Dr Browns. I'm not an engineer, but I am pretty sure that it's next to impossible to take in air from those bottles. Maybe try a bottle with a larger nipple like the tommee tippee's to see if that makes any difference? 

As far as the gas drops are concerned, I wouldn't worry about giving them as needed. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I use Dr. Brown's bottles and specifically got them because of Gabe's gas/colic issues.  There is no way to suck in air due to the way they are designed and engineered.  I'm totally not trying to tell you you are wrong, but are you absolutely sure it's air coming into his mouth from the bottle nipple or is it air coming in because of his latch on the bottle (i.e. sucking in air from the atmosphere)?  Have you tried stopping in the middle of a feeding to burp him frequently?  I'm just trying to run though everything we tried to help Gabe's gas issues early on.  We also loved Colic Calm and Gripe Water to help with gas and colic.
    Gabriel Joseph 6/13/2010
    BFP#2: 8/14/11 M/C 8/30/11 6w1d
    BFP #3: 10/26/11
    Beta #1 @11dpo: 22 Beta #2 @13dpo: 90 Beta #3 @17dpo: 480
    Missed m/c 12w3d 12/28/11, d&c 12/30/11
    dx Homozygous C677T MTHFR image image
  • Loading the player...
  • dup
  • No I'm sure you ladies are correct, with the Avent I thought maybe it was the bottle so I tried the Dr Brown and still he's sucking in air.  Which is why I think it is the latch and not the bottle.  How do you correct the latch on a bottle?  Take him off and try again? 

I do try to burp mid feedings but sometimes he screams if you take the bottle away before he's full.  haha.  Which causes more air intake.  

• Have you tried the wide neck Dr. Brown's bottles?  I believe those have a wider nipple that may help the latch.  Is it he's not taking in the nipple far enough?  I'm just trying to picture this in my head to try and give advice.
    Gabriel Joseph 6/13/2010
  • imageballerina06:
    Have you tried the wide neck Dr. Brown's bottles?  I believe those have a wider nipple that may help the latch.  Is it he's not taking in the nipple far enough?  I'm just trying to picture this in my head to try and give advice.

I was actually going to suggest this.  My friend told me (after reviewing my registry for me), I didn't need wide necks unless there was some sort of issue like this...and suggested Dr. Browns if I ended up needing them.  I am not speaking from any sort of experience, just what I have been told. :)

• Maybe it isn't his latch but the formula. Switching to formula can upset their tummys at the beginning. Maybe try another formula or a gentlease one and see if it helps?

I think I remember them saying that bubbles are formed when you shake the formula. We used a mixer most of the time or if we shoke it we let it sit for a bit so the bubbles would go away.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageTarah716:

No I'm sure you ladies are correct, with the Avent I thought maybe it was the bottle so I tried the Dr Brown and still he's sucking in air.  Which is why I think it is the latch and not the bottle.  How do you correct the latch on a bottle?  Take him off and try again? 

I do try to burp mid feedings but sometimes he screams if you take the bottle away before he's full.  haha.  Which causes more air intake.  

Are you shoving the nipple in his mouth as far as it will go? Gosh that sounds violent. I don't mean it that way. Just like with your breast, he should have as much of the nipple in his mouth  as you can get. 

• We use the drop-ins and they work really well.  You can push on the liner to let any air out of the bottle.  What's nice is since the liner collapses in on itself, the formula usually stays up in the nipple, so it's harder to suck in air.

Don't be afraid to use the gas drops.  Our peditrician said that it's perfectly fine.  I think the bottle even says it's ok to use up to 12 times a day, so if that's any indication.

What kind of formula is he on?  The gas might be from the formula.  If he's on regular formula,  you might want to try the sensative version.  The milk proteins are partially broken down, so it's easier for baby to digest.

• Yeah, we bought the wide neck bottles.  I thought it might be the shaking as well, guess I'll try stirring his next one to see if that helps at all.  I'll also see if I can get the nipple in his mouth any further too. 
  • imageMrsRenee:

We use the drop-ins and they work really well.  You can push on the liner to let any air out of the bottle.  What's nice is since the liner collapses in on itself, the formula usually stays up in the nipple, so it's harder to suck in air.

We used drop in liners also for this reason. We used avent and Dr browns the first week and she was up screaming every night. We switched to a drop in on night 4 and it got better.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageTarah716:
    Yeah, we bought the wide neck bottles.  I thought it might be the shaking as well, guess I'll try stirring his next one to see if that helps at all.  I'll also see if I can get the nipple in his mouth any further too. 

Also, you are a good mom and are doing a good job. Try not to stress too much! 

• We're using Enfimile Newborn
  • We also use drop ins and have had no gas issues. 

Don't feel bad at all about the formula.  You have to do what's best for everyone's sanity.  :)  If you need to use gas drops, and they seem to help, then that's what you do!  You are doing a great job.  Dayne is only 2 weeks old and both of you are still figuring out what works best.  He loves you no matter what.  :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Aw thanks girls, you're making me tear up.  No one can prepare you for the loop motherhood throws you for!  Each day does get easier but it's such an overwhelming job!
  • imageTarah716:
    Aw thanks girls, you're making me tear up.  No one can prepare you for the loop motherhood throws you for!  Each day does get easier but it's such an overwhelming job!

You've got that right!  You are doing amazing Tarah :)  You'll figure each other out in no time!  You both are still learning!

Gabriel Joseph 6/13/2010
  • I was going to suggest the same things.  The switch from BM to F sometimes causes gas.  Also he might not be getting the nipple all the way in his mouth. We used the drop-in and we didn't have gas issues from feeding.  DS had colic & reflux, but not from the bottle.  Also, don't feel bad about using the Mylicon drops! 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • imageTarah716:
    Aw thanks girls, you're making me tear up.  No one can prepare you for the loop motherhood throws you for!  Each day does get easier but it's such an overwhelming job!

It is definitely overwhelming!  DH and I would crawl into bed at night and I would just start crying for no apparent reason and it was really just because I felt so overwhelmed!  Before you know it, he'll be 5 months old and you'll feel like an old pro!  I'm sure the other girls will tell you before you know it, he'll be 9, 12, 18 months old! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hi!  I completely understand about gas issues!  My DS had gas issues, as well.  We tried a LOT of different formulas and finally settled on Enfamil Gentlease.  Not sure how different the Enfamil Newborn is but the Gentlease is supposed to help with gas and digestion.

Also, the Mylicon drops are great!  Don't worry about using them!  It is much better than having your baby in pain. 

• Alexa had the same problem with breast milk in the bottles.  But once we switched to the wide dr brown's it got much better.  And I shoved her mouth all the way down on the nipple.  It was hard to teach a breast fed baby to use a bottle.

Also the mylicon and gripe water were our good friends.  If you don't notice any improvement you could try a different formula.  I know that when we put Alexa on formula we started wiht gerber good start.  It has partially broken down proteins which are easier to digest.  

I did notice to that after a few weeks the gas issues she started to grow out of and they got much better!

And always remember you are doing an excellent job and its a learning as you go kinda thing.  So don't beat yourself up!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageHiggyFan42:

imageTarah716:

It is definitely overwhelming!  DH and I would crawl into bed at night and I would just start crying for no apparent reason and it was really just because I felt so overwhelmed!  Before you know it, he'll be 5 months old and you'll feel like an old pro!  I'm sure the other girls will tell you before you know it, he'll be 9, 12, 18 months old! 

I think they don't tell you the loop motherhood throws you since maybe we won't do it.  Of course those that have 2+ know that loop & we still did again, and again....but it is worth it.  Can I tell you when Kaitlyn was 3 months old I remember telling my mom there's no way I can make it to 6 months?  It seemed like an eternity away.  But we made it...and like Higgy said, before you know they're 3 already!  And when Joshua was born, it's gone way quicker than w/Kaitlyn, he's already 10 months old & it has flown by!

You're a good mom, and it's all a learning process, it always will be, just keep it up & hang in there!

If you want a laugh: I read "Gas" and thought you were going to talk about the stuff you put in your car!  No idea where my brain was at, maybe I thought I was on the Nest, even though I clicked the Baby link.  Yes, you lose brain cells w/kids too!   Big Smile

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Try the tommee tippee bottles.  I used dr. browns with ds1, thought they were wonderful.  with ds2 he hated the bottles.  wouldnt latch on to them right and he would always sound like he was sucking in a lot of air as well.  Gave the tommee tippee ones a try and they have made a huge difference.  he wont fight the bottle anymore and doesnt take in any air.  and also colic calm will help with those gas bubbles.  its a bit pricy, but worth every penny.

AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"