Maryland Babies
Options

dr apt update-c-section moms chime in!

Just got back from the doctors...and I thought there would be progress today.  NOPE!  Baby is still high and wile I am thinning out a bit I am still not dilated.  Doc gave me a choice to take the baby now or wait until Thursday.  I am uninducable so basically we're talking c-section right now.  I decided to wait and see him again on Thursday still hoping that I go into labor naturally.  If I make it until Thursday and still no progress I will have a c-section Friday...if there is a change then I may be induced.  

Here's hoping I go between now and Thursday on my own since I really thought I would go into labor on my own-I don't want to miss out on that experience.  I am worried and a tad bit nervous.  C-Sections mamas...any advice??  I really wanted to go through the whole pushing process and be able to hold my baby right away.  Were you able to hold your baby?  How did you make the c-section extra special since it's more like a surgery?  I just don't really know what to think.  I am disappointed and excited at the same time.  Disappointed my birth plan may have just flown out the window but excited that there is an end in sight and this will be my last Monday without my little one. 
image DD#1-Lillian (Lilly) Grace BabyFruit Ticker BLOG:http://lifeasweknowitkelly.blogspot.com/

Re: dr apt update-c-section moms chime in!

• Options
    imageBunintheOven311:

I am uninducable so basically we're talking c-section right now.

I obviously have no advice to offer, but I was wondering how come you're uninducable? What does that mean?

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w
    BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w
    BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d
    BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: Decorate This
  • Options

I hope things change between now and Thursday!!!

I had a c/s because baby was breech. It really wasn't bad.  DH got to hold the baby pretty fast, once he got over his squemishness of my belly being cut open.   I got her when we went into th erecovery room and nursed then.  There was family coming in and out of the room but by then I just didn't care.  And my mom held my dad off for a little while, since he was the one that didn't want to see my boobs hanging out.  But really, time kind of just stands still, I have no clue how long it was between her being born and my holding her but it didn't seem all that long.  And once we left the OR, we moved as a "team" so Mommy and baby were not seperated.

Once we got onto Maternity, they did take her for some tests but I think they do that no matter how the baby is born.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Well right now I am.  My cervix is still closed and the baby is too high.  Basically the doctor said that I could be induced but it would basically do nothing and 9 times out of 10 cases like mine turn into C-sections anyway.  I am waiting it out though hoping this stubborn little bugger makes his/her way out on his/her own! 
    image DD#1-Lillian (Lilly) Grace BabyFruit Ticker BLOG:http://lifeasweknowitkelly.blogspot.com/
  • Options

I had a scheduled c-section b/c DD was breech.  We found out around 34 weeks.  I was initially very, very disappointed and sad and had really been looking forward to labor and was going to try to go med-free, etc.  It was sad to let go of that experience, but you know what, I barely think about it anymore.  My DD is here and healthy and that's really all that matters.  I think recovering for a scheduled c/s is alot easier than recovering from a medicated birth too (w/ pitocin, epidural, etc.)  I was up and walking around the next morning, got my catheter removed. 

I do think BF was more of a challenge b/c of the C/S. 

I was able to hold DD in surgery while they stitched me up (after they did the initial measurements of her) - I think w/in 10 minutes I got to hold her and I carried her on my chest while they took us to recovery.  They took her away again to do more tests, clean her up, etc. and then brought her back about an hour later and I tried to nurse her.  She latched on well, immediately, but my supply didn't kick in properly - I think b/c I didn't labor. 

The recovery part is a PITA b/c the nurses, and techs keep coming in to check your incision, BP, temp every 2 hours and its totally not coordinated w/ the nursery - so there are way too many people coming and going from your room.  If you do end up w/ a c/s, I would suggest getting out of the hospital as soon as you can.  Its not relaxing. 

I wouldn't worry too much about making it "special" wherever/whenever your baby comes into the world will be a special and amazing moment!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

So they would go ahead and give you a c-section without even trying to induce you first? Or did I read that wrong? That seems weird; never heard that before.

I have no advice since I did not have a c-section but good luck, and no matter what happens, your baby will be here soon!!

Now, I order you to get off the bump and do lots of walking and sex. lol.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I would probably hold off and wait until Thursday, go back to the dr's, and see if the baby progressed or not. I'm surprised the doc won't even consider a induction.

I didn't have a c-section, but I was admitted to the hospital b/c of high blood pressure and they basically were going to start induction the following day. Although my body and baby had other plans for me. My water broke and I had contractions and labored for 12 hours before delivering DD. I only got to hold DD for about a minute before she taken to the NICU. Obviously my birth plan went right out the window at 33weeks.

Good luck and please keep us posted. 

• Options
    imagemrs. remy <3:

So they would go ahead and give you a c-section without even trying to induce you first? Or did I read that wrong? That seems weird; never heard that before.

I have no advice since I did not have a c-section but good luck, and no matter what happens, your baby will be here soon!!

Because the baby is too high and I am not dilated at all inducing would do nothing.  

• Options

If you feel strongly about it, I would really push trying to induce the regular way.  Like Remy said, that seems werid.

I had a C/S after being induced, I was in labor for 14 hours (about 8 with an epi) and only made it to 3cm's.  They up'ed the pitocin and DS's heart dropped, so they had to decrease the amount.  And with the amount of pitocin, I just wasn't progressing.  Looking back I shouldn't have been induced when I was (12am the day after my due date) and should have said no.  The 2 OB's that were on duty kept saying they thought that DS was going to be over 10 lbs and that he was just too big (he wasn't, he was 7 lbs 12oz's, so I really doubt that was the issue).  So we decided on the C/S and an hour and a half later DS was born.  Since you are strapped down you can't hold the baby immediately, but I think within 20 minutes that he was born we were back in recovery. DH got to hold him right away and held him next to my face for a few minutes. I react badly to anestesia and the narcotics they give you so I was shaking.  I think it was maybe 2 hours before I actually held him, but DH laid him on my chest in recovery for a while so I got to stroke his face and kiss him. 

We had latching issues, and in hindsight I attribute the issues to a few factors, the CS being one.  The others, DS was born 2 days before Xmas so I don't think we got the most attentive care, the lactation consultants took hours to get there the 2 times I requested one.  But we had a private LC come the day after we got home and I BF'ed until 10 months, no problems.  I also had a really easy and fast recovery (I can barely see the scar now) I was walking around the hospital room the next morning (DS was born early afternoon), showering, and we only stayed in the hospital 2 days.  I never needed anything for pain management beyond the extra strength advil (even with the nurses pushing narcotics, saying don't be a hero, which annoyed the crap out of me).

While it may not be ideal, just always keep in mind that getting the little guy or girl here is the goal.  Once you hold that baby in your arms it wont matter how they got there.  When I look back I am disappointed in the experience, but I have a healthy little boy and that is all that matters.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Boo :(

I hope the little one decides to come on it's own.  I do think it's odd they won't even try to induce first.  Remember due dates aren't expiration dates, you could be 2 wks off, so maybe your body is taking alittle longer.  I think Daisy is a good one to ask about how long to wait past due date.  I don't think you can wait too long bc if it is too late then they start secreting meconium and it can cause issues.  I think it's smart to wait until Thursday and to be rechecked.  Can you have them strip your membranes? Do anything to help you go along on your own.

I delivered vaginally, but I can guarantee i'd be very upset if i was in your situation.  I think it's normal, however, the end result will be a perfect healthy baby.

• Options
    imagejcsntms06:

I would probably hold off and wait until Thursday, go back to the dr's, and see if the baby progressed or not. I'm surprised the doc won't even consider a induction.

This is what I am doing...he didn't rule out an induction just told me that the likelihood of it being successful now isn't likely and it would end up a c-section anyway.   If I am still around Thursday and the baby has dropped and we're good then it will be an induction. 

• Options

I'll be honest, I went in wanting a med free natural birth and I am now a total c-section convert. I had one scheduled due to breech and it was fantastic. Within 20 min of her being born I was holding her and nursing. I had a fantastic recovery because I got up and walked ASAP and stayed on top of my pain meds.

H was allowed to bring the baby over to me right after they cleaned her off and he even got to cut the portion of the cord that was left over. He was with her the whole time and I actually liked that he got that initial bonding time so then I didn't feel guilty when it was my turn.

All that matters is you have a healthy baby. Like Kathryn, I never even think about how Josie was born, I have no guilt. I'm almost 100% positive if I have another one I'll do a repeat C because I had such a good experience and liked the "control" I had over the situation.

I personally, after my experience, wouldnt even try for vaginal if you aren't progessed at all. IMO, there really is no reason to go through the pitocin contractions unless you are somewhat dilated/effaced because you're doctor is right, the stats are unfavorable that you will be able to deliver vaginally.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • Options

I?ve gone through two c-sections now.  My first was an emergency c-section with my DD.  I labored till I was 10 cm and then pushed for 3 hours with no such luck.  The second was a scheduled c-section.  Honestly, because I didn?t labor with the second the recovery was definitely a lot easier.  In both cases DH gave our kids their first bottles and was able to hold them right away.  With my DD, I was too medicated to properly hold her but I held my DS while in the recovery room.  I stayed up on the medication and made sure to try to get on my feet as soon as they told me I could. 

To me no matter how they came into the world, that day will always be special to me. 

• Options

I had an induction that ended in an emergency C-section and my recovery was pretty sucky. I don't want to share the details because it's not going to help if you end up having to go that route, and your experience could be dramatically different than mine (and hopefully will be!).  

I don't think it's fair to suggest that a C-section is easier to recover from than a vaginal delivery because each delivery is different, as is each mother.

• Options
    imageSnoopyLuv:

I'll be honest, I went in wanting a med free natural birth and I am now a total c-section convert. I had one scheduled due to breech and it was fantastic. Within 20 min of her being born I was holding her and nursing. I had a fantastic recovery because I got up and walked ASAP and stayed on top of my pain meds.

H was allowed to bring the baby over to me right after they cleaned her off and he even got to cut the portion of the cord that was left over. He was with her the whole time and I actually liked that he got that initial bonding time so then I didn't feel guilty when it was my turn.

All that matters is you have a healthy baby. Like Kathryn, I never even think about how Josie was born, I have no guilt. I'm almost 100% positive if I have another one I'll do a repeat C because I had such a good experience and liked the "control" I had over the situation.

I personally, after my experience, wouldnt even try for vaginal if you aren't progessed at all. IMO, there really is no reason to go through the pitocin contractions unless you are somewhat dilated/effaced because you're doctor is right, the stats are unfavorable that you will be able to deliver vaginally.

Actually, no. I was induced barely dilated. My son was born vaginally 13 hours after we started.My doctor was willing to try and induce me before doing surgery. Some babies do not drop down into position until the mother is in labor. As I was told, your body sometimes needs to kick the baby into action.

Your case is not the case for everyone. Some people have a long recovery from C-sections. Some hospitals won't let mom hold the baby right away. It varies from case to case, hospital to hospital.

It is weird that he is suggesting a c-section rather than letting you try to labor. Ultimately, the most important thing is that the baby arrives safe and sound no matter which way it gets here. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageKathrynMD:

I think recovering for a scheduled c/s is alot easier than recovering from a medicated birth too (w/ pitocin, epidural, etc.)  I was up and walking around the next morning, got my catheter removed. 

I think it completely depends on each circumstance. I had a medicated birth and was up walking 15-20 minutes after I delivered. Everyone handles it differently.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

My sister ended up with an emergency C-section after her induction. She went in for the induction with little progress and baby up high. Her doctor gave her the pitocin and let her progress enough to break her water. Turns out, she hadn't progressed or dropped because the baby had turned and was breech. They broke her water, checked her and discovered that what they were feeling was a butt and not a head. Are they sure the baby is head down?

I was walking around with no issue after the vaginal birth of C. With B, I had a full episiotomy and hemis so my butt hurt majorly :p

• Options
    imagemrs. remy <3:
    imageKathrynMD:

I think recovering for a scheduled c/s is alot easier than recovering from a medicated birth too (w/ pitocin, epidural, etc.)  I was up and walking around the next morning, got my catheter removed. 

I think it completely depends on each circumstance. I had a medicated birth and was up walking 15-20 minutes after I delivered. Everyone handles it differently.

I agree with remy, With all respect, Kathryn, you can't say that since you've only experienced one situation.  I had pitocin and epis with both kids. The only reason, like I've already stated, it was easier with #2 was because I didn't have hemis.

• Options

Ditto pp's, I think every delivery is diff.  We could compare every detail of everyone's delivery and i'm sure they will be different. 

I delivered vaginally and I was up very fast and had a quick and easy recover.  I delivered at 11pm Thursday, came home 1030am Saturday and I was making dinner, Sunday I was at church.

My sister had a csection and to go along with FIA, I will leave the details out but she had a horrible recovery.

• Options

I have had 2, one after an attempted vbac. I would not get a c-section, no way. I was told I needed another one if I ever had another child because after 2 -csection, my uterus would rupture (it was near rupture during this 2nd). I am not having any more kids because of it. If you are even THINKING about getting pregnant again, realize most OBs won't let you vbac, so you will be stuck getting repeat c-section which ups your rate of problems

I know you want your baby now, but wait. I am 10 wks postpartum and still recovering because one of my stitches didn't dissolve, and they had to cut me back open to remove an abcsess.  I have been dealing with pain and a weeping wound for 10 weeks and my OB was blowing it off as no big deal, which the wound care center I had to go to didn't agree!

I ALSO got a UTI from the cathater, so I had to go on 2 rounds of antibiotics. 

My first c-section my bladder was nicked, and that had to be repaired again during my 2nd c-section. My first c-section was like 20-30 minutes, my second was well over an hour.

Neither time was I allowed to hold my baby right afterwards. The first time I didn't see my baby for 7 hours. You have to ask and I would ask now what the policy is because each hospital is different. For my second I had a mother/baby hospital and it was about an hour after being wheeled into recovery.

I had no problems with nursing though.

You may have a great recovery, you may not. It is surgery and there are side effects. Oh and the pain meds they give you cause nasty constipation. It might be a breeze, it might not, same with natural delivery. You won't know until you try, personally I would try vaginally first. Unless you are over 40 years old or have high blood pressure, I can see no reason why you need to have the baby on your due date

I don't mean to scare you, but I cringe when I see OB recommended it without even trying for a natural birth. My first I was induced, my second came a week early.  Babies will come when they are ready, it's not an expiration date!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagemrs. remy <3:
    imageKathrynMD:

wow - that's impressive!  You're right - everyone is different and everyone's experience is different.  I was just trying to let BitO know that the recovery from a c/s isn't always a horrible experience and can be pretty easy

• Options
    imageBunintheOven311:
    imagemrs. remy <3:

Because the baby is too high and I am not dilated at all inducing would do nothing.  

I know its so hard to be patient at this point, but I would hold off. I agree with PP, its just an estimate, you could go two weeks past your due date. I've also heard of people being 0 cm one day and 8 the next, so you never know! Just make sure that you are the one comfortable with the decisions, dont let anyone talk you into something you arent 100% comfortable with.

Good luck!! I had an emergency c-section and had to be knocked out because they did my epidural wrong and I felt the first cut, and it still wasn't that bad. I got to nurse my baby in recovery and DH got to spend time with her while I woke up a little.

• Options

Didn't mean to offend anyone or minimize their own birth/labor/delivery experience.  I just had a surprisingly easy scheduled c/s - which was my experience, I expected it to be awful and was prepared for it to be awful, but it really wasn't. 

• Options
    imageKathrynMD:

Didn't mean to offend anyone or minimize their own birth/labor/delivery experience.  I just had a surprisingly easy scheduled c/s - which was my experience, I expected it to be awful and was prepared for it to be awful, but it really wasn't. 

You shouldn't have to say this. She asked for experiences and we shared ours, it's not our fault we had easy recoveries. I would rather give positive experiences so if someone has to go through it they aren't freaking out during surgery. I think going in with a positive idea about how things would be made my c-section better.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • Options
    imageSnoopyLuv:
    imageKathrynMD:

You shouldn't have to say this. She asked for experiences and we shared ours, it's not our fault we had easy recoveries. I would rather give positive experiences so if someone has to go through it they aren't freaking out during surgery. I think going in with a positive idea about how things would be made my c-section better.

This.  If I felt okay and wasn't having BP issues I think I'd push my OB to let me wait it out a bit longer regardless of how LO ended up coming out.  But I don't think it's particularly helpful to share (or allude to) horror stories.  If I was looking at a c-section, I think I'd find Kathryn's story and outlook very reassuring.  This should be about helping BinO get ready for her delivery - not warring over personal stories and opinions.

lovelylittleworld
    BFP#2 1/12/12 ~ Missed M/C 8w2d
  • Options
    imageSnoopyLuv:
    imageKathrynMD:

I don't think Kathryn needs to apologize for offering up her experience.  Whether is was mis-stated or mis-read, some of us took it as "C-sections have easy recovery" and many of us have had the opposite experience.  No one is "blaming" anyone for having an easy recovery but the point still remains that every birth, vaginal or C-section, is completely different.  

It's also unrealistic to solely present Kelly with positive stories of C-sections.  I can assure you that the reasons mine sucked weren't because I had a bad attitude about it.  She needs to understand that there's no way to know how her birth will go and that it could be an easy recovery (here's hoping!) or a difficult one.  

• Options

What your Dr. is saying makes sense about not being inducible. My SIL was induced twice. The 1st time it was considered a "failed induction" and they sent her home ...the 2nd time she ended up having a C-section. Her situation was pretty much identical as far as the baby being high and no dilation or thinning. I felt bad she went through all of that to begin with. It was very frustrating for her.

Thing will all work out in the end...they always do.

Jen, mom to Evan-6yrs and Ella-20 months
  • Options

You didn't offend me at all, Kathryn. I just wanted to point out that there are all kinds of different experiences where recovery is concerned. Your story is a great, positive one.

As it has been said multiple times now, the best thing is that the baby arrives safe and sound and that Kelly has a speedy recovery either way.
  • Options

just do your research. If you are healthy, and the baby is healthy, there is nothing wrong with going to 2 weeks past your due date. If you are 4 days overdue and you are not inducible, then it means, your body is not ready. There are certain reasons to get a baby out before 2 weeks, and frankly if you are not of advanced maternal age or have high blood pressure, you OB is kind of crazy for pushing a c-section on you.  I mean gosh, I am 40 and they were going to wait at least until I was 42 weeks and I am a vbac. At least that is high risk reason to have a c-section.

You can ask for monitoring Non-stress testing and a sonogram to check amnio fluid and heartbeat if you are worried about being overdue. Otherwise for your OB to assume there is an issue is jumping the gun. Many babies are 2 or 2 1/2 weeks late with no issue. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageSnoopyLuv:
    imageKathrynMD:

Thanks!  I just really want to make sure I am making the right decision.  I totally trust my doc -he's wonderful and is one of the best drs for c-sections so I know it will go great.  My SIL had 2 with him and had great experiences.  I know everyone is different and I wanted to know what to possibly expect since I had been preparing myself for a vb all along!  Hopefully it will still work that way.  I appreciate everyones feedback good and bad.  It's helped. :)  I have to admit I've never as much been in a hospital as a patient and I've broken my pinky finger thats it so the thought of surgery scares me a bit since I have no clue how I may react.  

• Options

I was induced 5 days early due to some complications that I was having. 14 hours of regular, steady contractions and I made it to a whopping 5cm (I was 2 when I got the hospital). My dr decided to try an epidural after about 13 hours just to see if it would relax me and make me dialate. That didn't work and DS was showing signs of distress. Emergency c-section followed. I was terrified of a c/s and expressed that opinion to my dr when he told me that I would be induced. I felt like being induced led to a greater chance of a c/s but I knew that because of my issues I needed to get things started (I had low fluid that was dangerously low). I was shaking and crying as they took me into the OR. I will never forget the wonderful nurse that came over and wiped my tears and told me that things would be so much better soon. I felt a little loopy during the procedure but very clearly remember my dr telling DH to annouce the sex (we were also waiting to be surprised). I got to see him for a few moments before they took him to the other end of the room to clean him up but DH was with him the whole time. After he was cleaned up they had DH take him into the recovery room and wait for me while they finished stitching me up. I did pass out for about 5 minutes but I think it was from exhaustion after labor and just relief that it was all over. I was able to hold DS almost immediately in the recovery room and family was able to visit one at a time. The nurse in the recovery room even helped me get started with breastfeeding.

DS was born around 7:30 at night on a Thursday. The nurses in my room the next morning had me up and walking by 6:30 am. It hurt but got easier each time.  By the time I left on Monday I was getting around on my own pretty well. I do have to say that if you have a c/s, make sure you use the support band that they give you. That made all the difference in the world in my recovery.

In the end, although I was afraid of it I was thrilled with the way things went and wouldn't have done it any other way. I do not plan on trying vbac with our next child.

• Options
    I've had an essentially natural med-free childbirth, a medicated induction, and a c-section. Of the three, the medicated induction was probably the quickest to recover from however the c-section wasn't bad. I know I was shown the the babies immediately and my husband held both of them. They were with me all the time and nursing was pretty easy. It was a restful recovery after the first night but I also have two toddlers at home so it was a peaceful getaway in the hospital. My advice is be your own advocate when it comes to your own health. Everyone's story is different but ultimately our babies are here and they are healthy...and that's what mattered.
  • Options
    I agree with SnoopyLuv and KathryMD, I was induced (dilated 1 cm before induction) went to 8 cm my cervix swelled up and DS's heart rate started dropping so I had a c-section and was up walking around the next day.  I got to hold C while they were stitching me up and was BF'ing in recovery about 15 minutes later my husband got to go everywhere with him and cut his cord while they were checking him.  I am scheduled for one for this baby and am glad to know that I don't have to recover from not only the c-section but being swollen from dilating to 8 cm.  Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
  • Options
    I will have to go back and reread the pp later but I wanted to say that I would get a second opinion.  If your NST is fine then there is no reason to get a c-section.  That is absolutely ridiculous that your dr would suggest that as you are only 40 weeks.  Due dates are not an exact science and can be off by a few weeks.  Vaginal births are better for both mom and baby.  Csections are great for emergency purposes, etc but not just bc your dr is getting impatient.  smh... (sorry I am just angry for you).
  • Options

I really hope things change for you by Thursday so that you can have the birth experience you really want. I've had one C-Section and it was a bit of a surprise, went to my 37 week appointment I was unknowingly 7CM and rushed to the hospital and my son was breech :( It was not what I was expecting to happen and I did think about what a different birth experience would be like. All of that went away the second I laid eyes on my little boy. That's all that really matters, right? I was able to hold him (kinda) my DH and the nurse held him near my face for a few minutes, DH was able to hold him right away. They took me to a recovery area and in less than 10 minutes I was able to have plenty of time with him and start BF'ing which is what I wanted. My recovery went well, I was able to get up and moving around in about a day or 2, left the hospital a day early. I was back to a 100% in about a week (I wasn't running any marathons, but felt like myself)

The most important thing is that you do what feels right to you and your family. In no time at all that tiny precious little one will be in your arms.  :)

• Options
    imageFieryIrishAngel:
    imageSnoopyLuv:
    imageKathrynMD:

I don't think Kathryn needs to apologize for offering up her experience.  Whether is was mis-stated or mis-read, some of us took it as "C-sections have easy recovery" and many of us have had the opposite experience.  No one is "blaming" anyone for having an easy recovery but the point still remains that every birth, vaginal or C-section, is completely different.  

It's also unrealistic to solely present Kelly with positive stories of C-sections.  I can assure you that the reasons mine sucked weren't because I had a bad attitude about it.  She needs to understand that there's no way to know how her birth will go and that it could be an easy recovery (here's hoping!) or a difficult one.  

ITA.  Kathryn shouldn't need to apologize but the OP should definitely be presented w/both sides of the "story" as she does have a choice right now.  She doesn't need to go in and get induced this week as long as her NSTs are fine.  I am actually surprised that her ob doesn't have her have a weekly NST (barring any other problem such as high BP, etc).  I mean it's not like she is 42 weeks she is 40 and a csection is major surgery!  Babies sometimes get knicked as do internal organs, infections and all sorts of other problems can happen as well.  

• Options

Both of my DDs were born via scheduled c/s. I've never had a contraction, and while I am curious about what it may have been like to try vaginal birth, in the end all that matters is that my DDs are here and healthy. I was disappointed a bit the first time, but I'm still the one my DDs look to for comfort and to have all their needs met. I am Mom, no matter how they were born.

I was able to hold them shortly after brith. DH held them first, of course, but he held them close to me so I could see them pretty much right away. I held them as soon as I got into the recovery room.

I wouldn't let the dr scare you out of trying induction if that's what you're really hoping for, however. Statistics may not be in your favor, but there are plenty of women who started induction with meds to ripen the cervix and ended up having a vaginal birth. It's all about how you feel more comfortable. GL! i hope you go into labor on your own.

• Options

I had a c-section from a failed induction (I guess). I was induced at 42 weeks exactly (based on u/s, based on my charting I had a few days left). I got stuck at 3. My physical recovery from the c/s was pretty easy, my emotional was not. I am just now getting past it. Everyone says "oh at least the baby is here and healthy" well yeah that's true, but for me I really struggled with the way things went. I know there are lots of women who feel that way. I've "met" lots on the VBAC board. I am glad that it doesn't seem other women on this board have had that experience, but I did want to mention it because if a vaginal delivery is extremely important to you, as it was to me, I would consider fighting for more time/ and induction like some pps have said.

I don't have a ton of information as I am just starting to research VBAC, but Photo_Nut gave some good info and I am betting the ladies on the VBAC board would be happy to tell you they wish they had advocated for themselves a little more.

If you are happy and comfortable with the idea of a c/s please disregard. This is not meant to scare you in any way. My heart just breaks for anyone in a similar situation to me. Had I known then what I know now I would have done things so differently. Good luck! Here's throwing tons of labor dust your way so all of this is a non issue!

• Options

I had two c-sections. The first one ended up in an emergency c-section because ds's heartrate kept dropping and at one point didnt come back up. I had labored to 7cm.

The second time around they said I could do vaginal birth after c-section but my amniotic fluid was getting so low that my uterus shrank instead of grew. An induction causes stronger contractions and the risk that my uterus ruptures after the previous c-section was too great, so I was sent in for an immediate c-section. 

I have to say I was disappointed that I didn't have at least one vaginal birth, however I was very glad that at least I knew what labor is like. Labor HURTS, big time,  but it was part of the experience. 

Just based on my experience I would ask for induction anyway so at least you know later you tried and you felt some of it. 

The c-sections for me weren't bad at all. I was up walking the next day (slow obviously) and after 1 week I felt like I could do it all again. You just need to take it easy, but after just having a baby you really aren't all over the place anyway for a couple of weeks or more. 

When you have a c-section you will be given a spinal instead of an epidural. They will strap your arms down and put this blue "sheet" up to block your view onto the surgical area. When they start pulling out the baby you will feel a lot of preassure and pulling and tugging. It does not hurt at all but feels really odd. 

The baby will be out within minutes and they will likely take him to check his apgar (spelling) scores right away and weigh him, swaddle and then show him/her to you. While all this is happening the doctor will sew you up. 

Within 20 minutes or so you will be in recovery and holding your baby, I am a big believer in trying to nurse immediately, which is what I did. He didn't really latch on right away but it was a great bonding experience. 

While you are in the hospital your dh will do the diaper duty because you can't get up easily. Once you are home, you can do it too. 

Good luck!!!!

• Options
    Thank you everyone for your feedback, advice, and support.  I think I am coming to terms with the fact that this may be in my future..and hey Friday is Elton Johns Birthday so how cool is that!  My parents are going to the concert on Saturday so it's pretty fitting.  I am coming to terms with my change of plans but still holding out this bambino will come on his/her own!  Thanks for the labor dust! Also we just found out this morning my SIL who has been waiting for years to have a baby is pregnant!! Fingers crossed for her-she's high risk. 
  • Options
    I had 2 c-sections, and both were not bad experiences. The first was for failure to progress (never made it past a 4) and the second was scheduled. I know it's disapointing that your birth plan may go out the window, but if a c-section is what is going to be happening, have a c-section plan. Let your doctor and hospital staff know what you want and how you would like things to go. Obviously hospital policy may get in the way, but you can still let them know. Good Luck! 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"