North Carolina Babies

Kinda TMI - lactation

I stopped breastfeeding, pumping etc. back in October.  However, I am still lactating - is that normal?  It's not enough to need pads, and I'm not leaking.  I just check every couple of weeks or so and it's still there if I squeeze.  I would think it should have stopped by now since I haven't been trying to get milk out for a really long time now.  I've heard about the cabbage leaf thing, but I thought if I just stopped that the production would stop eventually - I kinda wonder if it could be keeping me from losing some of the baby weight?

Re: Kinda TMI - lactation

• H&W05H&W05 member
    I haven't stopped BFing yet, but I've heard this from a few other people too. I was under the impression too that once you stopped bf-ing/pumping, that was it, but apparently not.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I stopped BF in June and still leak occasionally, if I take off my bra and while I'm sleeping.
    image Caleb is 3! 101 in 1001
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm still BFing so I don't know, but I wonder if your "checking" might encourage it to continue? 

It reminds me of that old joke where the patient tells the doctor "My arm hurts when I do this...", and the doctor responds "Well...stop doing that."  hehe.

Honestly - I don't know either, but am interested in other responses.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Hate to break the news to you, but my milk never completely went away after I nursed Ben. I could always manually express a little. Evidently some of use milk-cows are just lucky that way. Yay Confused
  • imageJuberP:

I'm still BFing so I don't know, but I wonder if your "checking" might encourage it to continue?

This is exactly what I'm thinking too.

• The nurse practioner at my OB/GYN reminds me at every annual that it's "completely normal" to continue to have some milk when expressed after nursing. That this can happen for years after. And I still can and my daughter's been weaned for almost 2 yrs.
  • I'm probably wrong, but I thought cabbage leaves promoted lactation.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"