3rd Trimester
Options

Misaligned jaw =pain...anyone else?

Over the past several weeks I have noticed that my teeth are not lining up the way they used to.  My smile looks funky, and it feels weird to eat. I'm not sure if it is a pregnancy thing or from sleeping in the same position all the time, or just a coincidence.  Has this happened to anyone else?

Re: Misaligned jaw =pain...anyone else?

• Options
    I've noticed this happening, too.  Who knows if it's pregnancy related or not.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

i've had TMJ for years and my bottom jaw is a bit crooked. You can't tell unless you see or feel how my bite lines up.  Unfortunately, i've been told the only way to fix it for me is to have my jaw broken, re-aligned, and wired shut to heal... which is why i've been dealing with it for years.  Oddly enough, i've had less pain than usual since being pregnant.

Your body produces relaxin and hormones that affect your joints during pregnancy, so that could be your issue. Hopefully it will go back to normal once LO is out!!  Ask your dentist about using a mouthguard if you're concerned about your teeth/jaw when you sleep.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageLynsiBHM:

i've had TMJ for years and my bottom jaw is a bit crooked. You can't tell unless you see or feel how my bite lines up.  Unfortunately, i've been told the only way to fix it for me is to have my jaw broken, re-aligned, and wired shut to heal... which is why i've been dealing with it for years.  Oddly enough, i've had less pain than usual since being pregnant.

Your body produces relaxin and hormones that affect your joints during pregnancy, so that could be your issue. Hopefully it will go back to normal once LO is out!!  Ask your dentist about using a mouthguard if you're concerned about your teeth/jaw when you sleep.

I have TMJ myself.. i was told that it was a bit simpler than that, they make a small cut right at the jaw hinge (or whatever you call it) and they shave away the buildup....

Maybe i just have a less severe case of it

• Options

Do hot and cold compresses. 10 of hot then 10 of cold ..do twice a day. Your iflammed in the joint. Do not hyperextend your jaw and stay away from gum.

I am a hygienist

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

I have jaw pain alot.. pregnant and not pregnant and its from grinding my teeth while im sleeping and like clamping my jaw shut while im just doing things in every day life.. bad habbit and my brother has the same thing! If it starts to bother your ears i would go to the doctor because i have a ton of ear pain and its because i grind away the cartialige (sp) in my ears.

Good luck! 

• Options

It is pregnancy related. your body has released hormones that soften joints and ligaments. To help your hips widen and make room for baby to come out. But it affects all of your joints and ligaments. I've had problems with my jaw all my life, so this is nothing new for me, but it should go away soon after baby is born. Just be careful not to eat laying down or with your head at an angle. Etc. as it can cause your jaw to unhinge even more. when it gets bad I open my jaws wide and massage the joints.

I hope this helps.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers image image image image image image image
  • Options
    Ugh I have TMJ too... My dentist suggested this: put the tip of your tongue against the roof of your mouth right behind your teeth then pull your lower jaw down. This stretches the jaw muscles and helps realign the jaw. Don't "pop" your jaw though, just slowly stretch it. It helps alleviate pain for awhile...
  • Options
    I've had the chiro adjust my jaw when I was there anyway for back pain. It did help.
  • Options
    imageLynsiBHM:

This is me exactly! I've tried several splints, mouthguards etc nothing works. I was looking into surgery b/f i got the BFP. My dr said Id need to get braces first for about 3-6 months and then have my jaw broken then wear the braces for another 3-6 months. 

• Options
    I could barely open my mouth during my first trimester!  It came on suddenly and I thought it was TMJ, but I did some research and it seems to be common in pregnancy.  When I went into my second trimester, the symptoms went away just as fast as they came?!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    All 4 of my wisdom teeth have been slowing coming in over the last few years and it's messed with the way my jaw and teeth align.  The pain becomes much more bearable when I wear a mouthguard at night, because I grind my teeth, too.  I just bought one of those guards at the store that you heat up yourself and mold to your teeth (the dentist wanted almost $300 for one and it's the same damn thing).  It really makes a world of difference with my jaw pain AND my headaches!!
  • Options
    imageJoyfulW&M:

It is pregnancy related. your body has released hormones that soften joints and ligaments. To help your hips widen and make room for baby to come out. But it affects all of your joints and ligaments. I've had problems with my jaw all my life, so this is nothing new for me, but it should go away soon after baby is born. Just be careful not to eat laying down or with your head at an angle. Etc. as it can cause your jaw to unhinge even more. when it gets bad I open my jaws wide and massage the joints.

I hope this helps.

Until I see my dentist this is what I am hoping is going on:)  Not sure if TMJ can come on suddenly, but I'd really like this to be something that goes away on its own.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"