Alaska Babies
Options

my beautiful baby boy

Hello ladies!  I need your help!  I had my baby boy on February 19, 2011.  I have a couple of things that I need suggestions/help with and I am seriously hoping I can get some feedback...

Issue #1: Mac has his day and night reversed.  How in the world do I fix this?  I have tried making day time feedings and just awake time fun and entertaining and the night time calm and dark.  Still got day and night reversal....thoughts on what to do?

Issue #2: Mac is currently sleeping in the bed with us and I have no idea how to start transitioning him to his crib.  Do I just stick him in the crib?  I was not able to get him to latch on to my breast so he is being bottle fed expressed milk....do I need to keep him on a schedule at night (every 3ish hours feed him) or do I just wait until he starts getting upset to feed him?  

Issue #3:  Since I am pumping, I need to figure out ways to increase my breast milk supply.  My little chunk is eating a lot and I am slightly worried about keeping up with his demands....

Issue #4: Sometimes he gets really fussy.  I cannot tell if it is gas or what is going on.  He does this primarily at night.  Thoughts on what to do????

Yup....I have a lot of questions/problems.  I am a first time mom with no family in alaska so any help or advice you give me would be awesome!  I keep getting unsolicited advice from family or older friends but it just not really seem applicable to what is done now.  It is also driving me insane but I know they mean well....

THANK YOU!!!!!! 

Re: my beautiful baby boy

• Options

I would ask your ped. about the night feeding. Once Sawyer was over his birth weight (about five days old) he told us to  let him sleep and feed him when he's hungry. Waiting until he is crying might be super frustrating for him and you, our little guy gives a few hunger cues before having a big cry. He will start rooting around and will do an awesome head bob if you are holding him. If it takes too long he will start with a little wind up cry and then lets it fly. It took a littlw while for us to get with hisprogram, but now things are going really well.

I nurse and bottle feed pumped milk. My hubby feeds him bottles during the night and when we go places... so all the pumping during the night goes to the freezer/fridge. When I first started pumping it was only a couple ounces, but now my best pump of the day is about 6 ounces... which makes a 3.5oz bottle for him and extra to save. I drink 'Mother's Milk Tea' (they sell it at Target). It's supposed to boost supply and tastes pretty good!

My hubs and I were just talking about how people know when to give their kids gas drops. Maybe just try it out when he's inconsolable and see if they solve the issue. Our little guy hasn't had any gassy issues beyond burping problems (luckily).

I hope some of that helps!! Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I don't have any tips to offer, sorry, first time mom here too patiently waiting LO's arrival (at 39.5 weeks, I hope it's soon!). There are some mom classes at Providence that you could look at going to and talking to other moms and nurses about your questions. There's also a breastfeeding support group with lactation consultants that could help with your pumping question. You don't have to be a patient at Providence to attend, so it might be a good start for finding some support. I plan to stop by some of the classes once LO is here to see what they're like and hopefuly meet some other moms. Like you, I don't have any family up here either so I know it will often be frustrating and lonely.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagejamijoe:

Hello ladies!  I need your help!  I had my baby boy on February 19, 2011.  I have a couple of things that I need suggestions/help with and I am seriously hoping I can get some feedback...

Issue #1: Mac has his day and night reversed.  How in the world do I fix this?  I have tried making day time feedings and just awake time fun and entertaining and the night time calm and dark.  Still got day and night reversal....thoughts on what to do?

Dont let him fall asleep when he is nursing during the day, unlach him if he starts dozing off.

Issue #2: Mac is currently sleeping in the bed with us and I have no idea how to start transitioning him to his crib.  Do I just stick him in the crib?  I was not able to get him to latch on to my breast so he is being bottle fed expressed milk....do I need to keep him on a schedule at night (every 3ish hours feed him) or do I just wait until he starts getting upset to feed him?  

Our LO is sleeping with us too and I want to keep it that way until he is a month or more. I love snuggling with him at night and so does DH.. DH was the one who was against LO sleeping with us at first and then all for it when we brought him home. It will take time for him to get use to his crib, maybe start with naps during the day in there.

Issue #3:  Since I am pumping, I need to figure out ways to increase my breast milk supply.  My little chunk is eating a lot and I am slightly worried about keeping up with his demands....

Pumping is away to increase you milk flow:)

Issue #4: Sometimes he gets really fussy.  I cannot tell if it is gas or what is going on.  He does this primarily at night.  Thoughts on what to do????

My MW said some infants just have a cranky time and its mostly at night. Our LO is the same way from 9-11pm he is fussy and I just bounce him around.

Yup....I have a lot of questions/problems.  I am a first time mom with no family in alaska so any help or advice you give me would be awesome!  I keep getting unsolicited advice from family or older friends but it just not really seem applicable to what is done now.  It is also driving me insane but I know they mean well....

THANK YOU!!!!!! 

Hope some of that helps!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Welcome to the mommy club!  I hope some of these suggestions help and feel free to PM me as well.

You are doing exactly what you should.  I agree with PP on not letting LO fall asleep while eating but other than that, reversing days and nights takes a while to happen, it wont be all of a sudden.  Also try waking LO up from naps if they seem to go on excessivly.. I wont let DD sleep longer than 2 and a half hours or so during the day unless we have done something extreamly tiring.  This helps them to be tired at night.

We bedshare as it is just easier for us, however, we are working on transitioning my DD to the crib as well so she will sleep in both.  This can be a fight sometimes.  I rock DD to sleep and then put her in the crib.  When she wakes up we do this again.  I dont let her cry in her crib as I dont want the association of screaming to be in the place that is supposed to cause comfort.  I do have a mobile that I turn on when I place her in the crib awake so she can watch it and not be bored/frusterated.

Pump as often as he eats for longer than he eats.  The pump is not as effective as nursing so it takes a little more work.  The more often you pump, the more you supply as this is how your body knows how much to produce.  Also make sure you relax while pumping.  This will improve your flow.  See if you can pump while giving lo his bottle or while holding him asleep as this is one of the best ways to relax and let it flow.

Babys have natural fussy times and a lot of the time it is in the evenings.  Part of it is they are used to moving then, and part of it can be overstimulation (everyone getting home from work exc. makes this a busy time in most peoples houses)  Unfortunatly it is a time that just has to be worked through.. If your little one settles being carried, try a carrier.  If he will settle in his swing or bouncy chair, try these in areas that are not as busy as the main part of the house. 

If the cause of your LO's upset is an upset tummy they may spit up, fart, kick and jerk their knees to their tummy.  Gas drops may help at this point but are not guaranteed to help.

THANK YOU!!!!!! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"