Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Any IH-DCPs.Q for you.

I noticed that several people here have in-home daycares, so I thought this would be a good place to ask. 

I am going to be quitting my FT job soon (late may), working side jobs (I'm an architect) and providing morning only daycare for 3 kids in my house.

I want to make sure I have all my bases covered.

-In NC I don't have to be licensed by the state for half-day care.

-I will have the parents sign a contract including termination notification, liability waiver, agreements as to meds, sleeping, activities, etc. (Care to share yours?)

The only thing I have not checked into is my home owners insurance policy. Do you have a rider? A separate policy? Nothing? 

Anything else I'm missing? 

TIA!  

Re: Any IH-DCPs.Q for you.

• Not sure about your state's licensing laws, but I believe most don't require a license if you have under a certain amount of children. That number probably includes your own children too.

As far as insurance, I have a rider on our home-owner's policy.  Our agent said it's a must in case something would happen while children are in your care.  He also said we must have a first-aid kit, a fire extinguisher, and working smoke detectors in every sleeping room, hallway, and on every floor. Since I am licensed that is checked by the fire marshal.

In your contract, state your holidays and days off. Some examples from mine:

Major holidays I will be closed and paid.

Holidays such as Christmas Eve and the day after Thanksgiving I am not closed. If I am open but the children will not be coming, I will be paid.

I do 10 free days a year for a full-timer. They can use those on any day, whether it be for a sick day, snow day, or personal day/vacation.

Have set hours. I have one family who is normally here 8-5 Monday thru Friday. If they don't show up (and they never call) until 9 or 10, they are still charged from 8. If they are picked up at 4:30 instead of 5, they are charged until 5. If you don't have these rules, it will really start cutting into your income. This is how I pay my bills, so it needs to be somewhat consistent. 

Good luck! Let me know if you need anything else!

• I checked, I don't need to be licensed. I'd like to do this at least for 2 years. Great idea about the major holidays.

I am going to call my insurance agent about getting a rider, if you don't mind, how much is it per month in general? $10? $100? I just need to know to factor it into my rates.

I'm sure I'll have more questions. Thanks for the help! 

• Loading the player...
  • I'm thinking it was only around 20 or 30 bucks extra. Maybe not even that much.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"