Natural Birth

FU to "Big baby" = dilemma

Back from the OB. No progress in terms of dilation or baby's position. He was all ready to pencil me in for a C-section on Tuesday of next week, but my husband and I said, what's the rush? We're going in on Monday to see if there is any progress. If not, the doc will want to schedule a C-section, and at that point, we'll say, OK, how about next week (putting us at 40 weeks)? Our plan is just to buy time and see what happens.

I know those estimates can be off, but I was a huge baby, as was my husband, plus my belly is like...absolutely enormous. Also, we've had a series of U/S in the third tri with a steady size progression, so this isn't just based on one. I am tending to think that the size may be pretty accurate in our case.

Please all, send me your labor vibes over the next few days!! I am seriously considering seeing an acupuncturist on Friday to see if she can get the ball rolling.
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: FU to "Big baby" = dilemma

• I agree that it is probable that your ultrasound is more accurate given the progression.

That being said, I also wanted to tell you that I had a 9lb 7 oz baby no problem os you can do it too!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Rooting for you guys!

Good luck!!!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm sorry, but between your two posts, I still don't see a reason to schedule a c-section.   Even if your baby is on the bigger end of the spectrum does not mean that you can't give birth naturally (or at least vaginally).  

It doesn't sound like your OB is very supportive of natural birth.  That would make me very nervous.

Maybe it is just because I have given birth to a 10 lb baby, but I think this whole plan is insane.   Maybe I am missing something?  

Edit- I know that last bit sounds a bit harsh.  I don't know how to word it in a nicer way.  I really do wish the best for you.  GL

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• No, you're not missing anything. I agree that there is no reason to schedule a C-section, which is why we are planning to continue putting it on "hold." The doctor was supportive of our birth plan, but I guess he is also a typical NJ C-section happy doctor. So the idea is to keep stalling until we go into labor on our own.

Hope that clears things up for ya!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • One of my friends went natural with a 13 lb baby. I know that's not super helpful but I find it reassuring so maybe others will, too.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I gave birth to a 10 pounder as a first time mom. All natural, it was an easy labor and delivery, in comparison to most first time moms. It also looks like this baby will be 10lbs-10lbs 2oz, and we are planning all natural again. Unless they know for certain you have a small inner pelvis there is no reason for you to not try going natural first. I say stick to your guns and say no unless there are other reasons to consider a c-section besides size.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers image image image image image image image
  • Like I said in your first post, no one knows if your body can birth a larger baby until you try. And you're still pretty early to show a lot of dilation or progress. 

FWIW, my second son was 10lb 10oz, and was born via VBAC. We had no idea that he was going to be that huge! I had a second-degree tear, but the recovery with him was still faster and easier than my c-section.

It sounds like you and your DH have a united front, and if it comes down to it, you can always *not* show up for a scheduled induction or section. I would stay away from the hospital until things are really moving along, also. good luck - I really hope it works out for you!!

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• my bradley instructor gave birth to an 11lb 10oz baby in a kiddie pool on her back deck. 

as others have posted here, it can be done naturally.  so why not wait, since you have a little time.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagehmontty:

No, you're not missing anything. I agree that there is no reason to schedule a C-section, which is why we are planning to continue putting it on "hold." The doctor was supportive of our birth plan, but I guess he is also a typical NJ C-section happy doctor. So the idea is to keep stalling until we go into labor on our own.

Stay strong Mama!  You can do this!  I know how hard the pressure can be.  Lily wasn't born until 43 weeks, so I encountered a lot of negativity during those end days of my pregnancy.  In the end I knew everything would be fine (which was backed up by my MW)- so we trudged on and Lily was born pretty and pink on her chosen birthday. 

GL!!! 

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• imagepinksweetpea2:
    imagehmontty:

No, you're not missing anything. I agree that there is no reason to schedule a C-section, which is why we are planning to continue putting it on "hold." The doctor was supportive of our birth plan, but I guess he is also a typical NJ C-section happy doctor. So the idea is to keep stalling until we go into labor on our own.

Stay strong Mama!  You can do this!  I know how hard the pressure can be.  Lily wasn't born until 43 weeks, so I encountered a lot of negativity during those end days of my pregnancy.  In the end I knew everything would be fine (which was backed up by my MW)- so we trudged on and Lily was born pretty and pink on her chosen birthday. 

GL!!! 

This!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Eleanor Noelle - 18/05/12 Claire Elisabeth - 16/-5/10
  • Stay strong!! You can birth this baby, big or small :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • LO was 8lbs 12oz and i birthed naturally with no issues, his head circ was 13cm! at 36 weeks they estimated him to be 7-8lbs (not!) they estimated he'd be 10-11 lbs at 40 weeks
  • imagepinksweetpea2:

I'm sorry, but between your two posts, I still don't see a reason to schedule a c-section.   Even if your baby is on the bigger end of the spectrum does not mean that you can't give birth naturally (or at least vaginally).  

It doesn't sound like your OB is very supportive of natural birth.  That would make me very nervous.

Maybe it is just because I have given birth to a 10 lb baby, but I think this whole plan is insane.   Maybe I am missing something?  

Edit- I know that last bit sounds a bit harsh.  I don't know how to word it in a nicer way.  I really do wish the best for you.  GL

I don't think you're being harsh. It is appalling to me how many doctors try to go this route.

I saw a doc in my OB group this week that I don't usually see because mine is on vacation, and he was all about talking c-sections and inductions with me. He threw in all of the regular scare-tactics regarding my "enormous" baby and my "unfavorable cervix". (Oh the horror. It was still high and closed that 36w3d.)  I was pretty clear that unless there was a medical emergency, I wouldn't be discussing either of those things until I hit 40 weeks. Let's just say my comments went over as well with him as his did with me. Stick out tongue

Thank goodness my regular doctor is back next week!

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"