Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Do you throw away unfinished baby food?

It seems like such a waste! But I think I read somewhere that if LO doesn't finish in that sitting then I should throw the rest away. WWYD?

Can I refrigerate the leftovers and serve at the next meal?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Do you throw away unfinished baby food?

• Options
    We put all of A's food in a seperate bowl for that feeding.  That way if he doesn't eat all of it, the part we didn't put  into his bowl can be refridgerated for a day or 2.  We don't keep them for more than 2 days in the fridge.  hth
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I use open baby food jars for up to 48 hours, as long as I refrigerate them, AND I use a separate spoon so I don't cross-contaminate the jars as DS eats cereal, squash, and peas all in one meal.  (for example)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I do toss it.  I try not to give him too much at one time and he loves to eat, so I usually don't have to throw away a ton.
  • Options

imagekmfrey:
    We put all of A's food in a seperate bowl for that feeding.  That way if he doesn't eat all of it, the part we didn't put  into his bowl can be refridgerated for a day or 2.  We don't keep them for more than 2 days in the fridge.  hth

This is what we do as well.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    All of the packaging on the containers we give LO says if you don't use it all to refrigerate and use within 2-3 days. We always use it within 24 hours though.
  • Options

imagekmfrey:

This exactly

Pregnancy TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I've read that the reason to not use opened containers of babyfood once baby has eaten out of it is because it can get watery from saliva and is then not as appetizing.  How can your child contaminate it if they are the only one eating from it?? 

If my DS doesn't finish something, I pop it in the fridge with the lid on tight and feed it to him at the next meal.  I've eaten stuff and put it in the fridge half-way through and ate it later.  No reason to throw it away, IMO, as long as it's used in a timely manner. 

• Options
    Wow, im suprised more people dont toss it. We trash any food after eating that he doesnt finish. Of lo happens to have a cold, sick, any germs, you are transfering from mouth to spoon to food and giving to lo again next use
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    whatever LO dos'nt finish i refridgerate for the next feeding or the next day. never more than 48 hours though!
  • Options
    imageRoxpup:

I've read that the reason to not use opened containers of babyfood once baby has eaten out of it is because it can get watery from saliva and is then not as appetizing.  How can your child contaminate it if they are the only one eating from it?? 

If my DS doesn't finish something, I pop it in the fridge with the lid on tight and feed it to him at the next meal.  I've eaten stuff and put it in the fridge half-way through and ate it later.  No reason to throw it away, IMO, as long as it's used in a timely manner. 

The concern is that bacteria will start to grow from the bacteria in LO's mouth.  Same thought as using a glass to drink milk rather than drinking straight from the carton.   We serve out of a separate container so we can reuse the leftovers.  

• Options
    We refrigerate the leftovers, but we only keep it for 2 days at the most.
  • Options
    I make DD's food, but if she doesn't eat everything yes, I do throw it out
  • Options
    Your supposed to seperate what you feed your LO from what your going to keep. The reason being that the bacteria from their saliva makes the food unsafe to keep.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imageniki.jones5582:
    whatever LO dos'nt finish i refridgerate for the next feeding or the next day. never more than 48 hours though!

this. unless she is sick and then it gets tossed.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

We don't usually have "leftovers".  I make my own and freeze it in small portions to avoid giving him a lot at one feeding.  I just thaw what I need.

In the event that we have a jar of something, I'll put it in a seperate bowl for feeding, refrigerate what he doesn't eat and will use it within a day or two. 

• Options
    I will save anything more than 1/3 of a jar. I typically use it at the next meal. It gets saved no more than 24 hours. If I know sh is not going to eat a whole jar I put what I think she is going to eat into a sperate bowl and then put the rest in the fridge.
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"