Military Families
Options

Husband joined the Marine's

he leaves for bootcamp on April 11th, and I'm so worried because he's going to be missing out on our LO's development :[ He also found out his MOS training is in Pensacola, FL, and it's for 8 months :[ Here's my question...should LO and I move to Pensacola while he's doing his MOS? I mean, we think it's a good idea, and I know he'd only be able to come home on the weekends, but we live in Knoxville, TN right now and it's almost a 9 hour drive, and I don't want him to miss out on Emma walking, and getting her first tooth...all the big things! What do you ladies think??
Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

Re: Husband joined the Marine's

• Options
    I don't know how intensive Marine training is but he may not have all that much free time. That said, 8 months is a long time and I would move and pay out of pocket to spend more time with DH. I didn't while DH was in training, but I was pregnant and we lived two days drive apart, so it didn't make sense. I wish I would have though if I could have. And there is the possibility that since his training is so long, they would move the whole family? But I have no experience with the Marines. Hope it all works out for you!
  • Options
    Military Nesties gets more traffic so you may want to post over there too.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was in Pensacola for a short time. I moved there at the end of my H's MOS there. You may want to check into it, but they would not allow us to live together. He stayed on base and I lived about 5 minutes away with another Marine wife. He wouldn't necessarily get to come every weekend either. If he had post or if someone screwed up they sometimes took away time off base. My hubby is now in Japan and we have a 4 week old so I can relate to the missing out thing, so I say even some time is better than none. I enjoyed Pensacola. I love the ocean so I didn't need much more! :) Good luck to you guys.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • Options
    If you are thinking that it is feasible for him to possibly come to TN on weekends, it is not going to happen. He will have a distance regulation. He won't be able to go past a certain amount of mileage, and 9 hours is definitely too far. If that is what you were thinking so you could stay home, you'd be rethink your plan. It just won't be allowed. Sure you can sometimes get a liberty chit for more flexibility, but it is highly unlikely that he will be given this while in school. DH went to "A" school for several months in Pensacola. I went there for spring break one year, and I loved it. If you have the opportunity to go, you should consider it.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I would keep a journal of your DDs development through letters while your DH is in bootcamp, he will definitely appreciate them. Make sure the tone isn't all "look what you are missing..." Write to him so he feels like he is there experiencing it too. DH went to bootcamp over 8 years ago and at that time it was very risky to send pictures... I dont know how it is now, or how it is when you send them of children. But if my DH was caught with them they were posted in his barracks for everyone to see. Keep in mind too:  When my DH went to PI we only had contact through letters and I think I got one or two phone calls the entire 13 weeks. As for Pensacola, if you dont have a job tying you down or your familys help then I would def. strongly consider moving. From what Ive heard Pensacola is a great place to live. Good luck :)
    Pregnancy Ticker

Natural M/C 1.10 MMC 1.13 CP 12.13
    This is for all the caterpillars that never became butterflies. And for all the butterflies that never felt the wind in their wings. And for all the hearts that had hopes and dreams of a wondrous flight together.
  • Options

imageLinz-E:
    I would keep a journal of your DDs development through letters while your DH is in bootcamp, he will definitely appreciate them. Make sure the tone isn't all "look what you are missing..." Write to him so he feels like he is there experiencing it too. DH went to bootcamp over 8 years ago and at that time it was very risky to send pictures... I dont know how it is now, or how it is when you send them of children. But if my DH was caught with them they were posted in his barracks for everyone to see. Keep in mind too:  When my DH went to PI we only had contact through letters and I think I got one or two phone calls the entire 13 weeks. As for Pensacola, if you dont have a job tying you down or your familys help then I would def. strongly consider moving. From what Ive heard Pensacola is a great place to live. Good luck :)

I got 2 phone calls while my husband was at boot and the picture policy is still pretty much the same. Any picture I sent the DI's showed them around to everyone then gave them back to my H.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Well from what I know about MOS school and our friends who are instructors there is that your not suppose to move your family while your there. Reason being is that when he gets out of school he will get time off, and they will pay him to move himself and family to his Duty Station. If he moves you there while in school they will not pay him to move you and your child to where he is going to be. IDK just what I have heard. I know there was a guy at our friends school house who got into trouble for moving his family there while he was in school.

From what I know they will only pay to move you from where you are at now, and not from his school. Also while in school he lives in the Barracks or a squad bay.

I would honestly take this time he will be away to get use to it, because he will be in the field a lot if he's ground side, if he's air wing like mine then he won't go to the field. In 8 years my husband has never been to the field. Also you have training where he will be gone, and then there are deployments which means 6-7 months and if your lucky he won't get extended beyond that.

Your husband will miss a lot yes, but record these things so he can see them. My husband missed our daughters 1st everything, but I made videos and he loved them. My daughter didn't know who daddy was because he was gone her 1st year of life, it took her a while to warm up to him when he got home, but she's a daddies girl now. Its harder the older they get, because then they can realize that daddy is gone.

Good luck to you I hope this helps some. Its a hard life, but your are going to do just fine! Trust me when I say I don't know everything, I just told you what I know, and it could have been misunderstood by me. I hope you find the answer your looking for...

• Options

imagecarecamp:
    You may want to check into it, but they would not allow us to live together. He stayed on base and I lived about 5 minutes away with another Marine wife. He wouldn't necessarily get to come every weekend either. If he had post or if someone screwed up they sometimes took away time off base.:) Good luck to you guys.

This.

My DH runs the Crucible on PI, he will probably be yelling at your husband in 3 months. Lol.

imageimage
  • Options

my hubby was in MOS school for nearly a year, and because of the length of it he was given accompanied orders and I was allowed to move out there with him. I'm not sure how long a school has to be to get those orders though. 8 months may not be long enough.

I think that in the long run, while it's hard, if he DOESN'T have accompanied orders, I would stay put. You would be all alone in FL, with only a MAYBE chance of seeing your hubby, and home will have the support of your friends and family and the comfort of your routine.

If it was me, I probably wouldn't move (especially cuz when you DO get orders the military will pay for the move) and save the money for lots of visits down there when he knows he has the time off, holidays and stuff. It sucks, but the first year, with boot camp, MCT, MOS, are the worst, and then it gets better. Hang in there!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"