Military Families

Re: wondering if anyone else has seen this

• Options

What's scary? 

Generally speaking, military personnel are considered essential.  They report to work regardless, and they will receive back pay.

Civilians, on the other hand, are not essential.  In the past, we've received back pay.  This time around the rumor is that we won't.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I agree that it is scary that Congress can't get it together to pass a budget. I hope everyone has some savings.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The military's pay come from people's tax deductions so we won't be effected by it. 
  • Options
    yes, I see that it says we would get back pay but people have bills today. Most people rely on each check to pay their bills. I know this isn't a for sure thing but just having this as a possibility is a scary thing. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I just look at it like this: yes, soldiers could miss a paycheck or two, but at least no one has to worry about layoffs like in the civilian world, and there will be back pay. This situation highlights the importance of emergency savings, as well as making better informed voting decisions come election time; everyone was so hot to elect partisan Congressmen and Senators, and this is the end result - a lot of grown ups who refuse to cooperate and pass a budget. Further, we've been operating on a temporary budget for months, but no one bothers to voice concern or set money aside or to contact their local reps until the eleventh hour.
  • Options

imageBachBaby:
    The military's pay come from people's tax deductions so we won't be effected by it. 

What? This doesn't make sense. How do you pay people from tax deductions?

• Options
    I was talking to DH about this today.. I guess they were told that there was no way their pay can be taken away. I know it could regardless of what's being said..  I just hope everything works out. *Fingers crossed*
  • Options

This happens every year.

Every year the budget comes down to the last minute and every year there are panicked military wives on message boards wondering if their husband's are going to not get paid.  Every.single.year.

You will get paid.  Don't worry. 

• Options

It's funny we were actually talking about this in my Government class recently. They can stop military pay if there is not an approved budget, in the 90's the Government went past March 17th with out a budget passed but they used the stop gap method to continue paying military paychecks. Unfortunately they are saying that will not happen this time.

I am a little worried about it because of course it is a treat of no income for a month. However Congress does this all the time, they will wait until the last possible second so that everyone can say that they tried tooth and nail to have THEIR plan passed.

I personally do not believe that the Government would risk it. If the military members do not get paid then they can not pay their bills. Yes banks and companies go every day with people missing payments, but hundreds of thousands of people not paying their rent/mortgage, utilities, spending money at the store this will cause a halt in commerce that could s shut the entire country's economy down. Then factor in the fact that while it is in their contracts that they must show up for work even if they are not being paid, some will not - people go AWAL as it is; take away their pay and they will either not show up because of anger or maybe searching for something else to do to bring in money. Then there is the increased risk for violence as a result - people stealing from each other and stores.  I just do not see how the President or any member of Congress could possibly choose to risk this.

3 Early Miscarriages 4 rounds of Clomid BFP = 11/16/10 ~ EDD July 29th 2011 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    NSLNSL member

I am stunned by how many of you are apparently learning about this issue for the first time today.  Ladies, please pick up a real newspaper more regularly so you can stay informed about important news.

Some of the latest news about the newest CR and the possibility of a government shut-down (which some of you don't seem to understand would affect ALL government workers, not just those in the military).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/prominent-gop-lawmakers-oppose-stopgap-budget-bills/2011/03/14/ABzylsV_story.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/03/02/AR2011030206932.html

https://voices.washingtonpost.com/thefix/democratic-party/why-the-government-wont-shut-d.html

https://voices.washingtonpost.com/federal-eye/2011/02/what_a_government_shutdown_wou.html

• Options
    I understand that it affects more then just the military but this is the military families board so I ( I can't speak for anyone else) was just focusing on the military aspect. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    imageAshley858:

I personally do not believe that the Government would risk it. If the military members do not get paid then they can not pay their bills. Yes banks and companies go every day with people missing payments, but hundreds of thousands of people not paying their rent/mortgage, utilities, spending money at the store this will cause a halt in commerce that could s shut the entire country's economy down. Then factor in the fact that while it is in their contracts that they must show up for work even if they are not being paid, some will not - people go AWAL as it is; take away their pay and they will either not show up because of anger or maybe searching for something else to do to bring in money. Then there is the increased risk for violence as a result - people stealing from each other and stores.  I just do not see how the President or any member of Congress could possibly choose to risk this.

Say what?????? Mayhem and looting because the military missed a paycheck? That is my understanding--one pay check as Congress would have extreme reason and pressure to pass a budget. Our society is not going to devolve in one pay period. Congress is apt to act because they want to be re-elected, not for fear of AWOL service members and theft. The econmoy will not shut down, for real. People spend money they don't have as it is, they will continue as such, for a two week period. Yes, this highlights the need for an e-fund, but your vision is beyond extreme for a short term pay disruption. Two weeks.
  • Options
    imageSmudges*Mom:
    imageAshley858:

Say what?????? Mayhem and looting because the military missed a paycheck? That is my understanding--one pay check as Congress would have extreme reason and pressure to pass a budget. Our society is not going to devolve in one pay period. Congress is apt to act because they want to be re-elected, not for fear of AWOL service members and theft. The econmoy will not shut down, for real. People spend money they don't have as it is, they will continue as such, for a two week period. Yes, this highlights the need for an e-fund, but your vision is beyond extreme for a short term pay disruption. Two weeks.

All of this. Yes

• Options
    imageSmudges*Mom:
    imageAshley858:

Yes

Thank you!  Will it hurt a bit to not get that one pay check?  Yes.  Will the world come to an end?  No.  The economy will not come crashing down. 

• Options
    imageAshley858:

Hmm

Really? The entire economy is going to fall apart because military members don't receive a paycheck? It'll be inconvenient, no doubt, and might cause some serious financial concern for a small number of service members, but "hundreds of thousands" aren't going to stop pumping money into the economy altogether. It's called living on savings...or at the very least, living on credit. People do it ALL the time.

And an increased risk of violence? What, one missed paycheck and every soldier, airman and marine is going to turn to looting? Please.

My husband listens to an obscene amount of talk radio, and this sounds like something he'd tell me about that he hears on the air...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Please remember that all federal employess would be getting their pay stopped if the government shuts down. That means that our elected officials would not be getting paid, and we all know that won't happen. Can you imagine Congress and the President not getting paid? That thought alone will be enough to guarantee that the government won't shut down. 
    *~ECBinWYO~*
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"