Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Aggressively rubbing eyes and scratching head (Eczema Q)

DS has been agressively rubbing his eyes and scratching his head, often drawing blood on his scalp- this happens all day, not just when he's tired.  When we pick him up from daycare his face looks totally broken out, his chin is red and the skin around his eyes is extremely red.  He just about gives himself black eyes from all the rubbing.

We put him to bed swaddled so he can't get his hands to his face/eyes/head.  We slather Aquaphor all over him and by morning he looks perfectly normal.  Can eczema come and go this quickly or am I more than likely just battling normal, dry winter skin irritation?   Are you using any products that you think have made a difference with your LO?  California Baby, Aveeno, etc? 

Thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Aggressively rubbing eyes and scratching head (Eczema Q)

• DS has the same thing going on. My Pedi told me it could be dry skin or allergies/. He told me to use dandruff shampoo on his scalp and not to give him a bath more then twice a week. DS wakes himself up rubbing every night/morning. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • I will look forward to the replies because we are dealing with exactly the same thing.  We just started using the Californa Baby wash last bath.
    jailbirds Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • We have the same thing going on.  He looks terrible - it makes me so sad!  We are using California Baby Super Sensitive body wash right now and are using a dandruff shampoo on his scalp to see if that helps.  The Aquaphor does nothing for us. 
  • imagehermione76:
    DS has the same thing going on. My Pedi told me it could be dry skin or allergies/. He told me to use dandruff shampoo on his scalp and not to give him a bath more then twice a week. DS wakes himself up rubbing every night/morning

Yeah, as soon as we let DS out of the swaddle he starts with the rubbing.  Poor guy.

Our Pedi also said it could even be a milk protein allergy but I'm not so sure since there are zero other signs.  We'll try giving Alimentum formula if nothing else works.

• We have prescription Eucerin and a steroid cream and she still scratchs like crazy...and cries while scratching. It is about to drive us all crazy.
  • imageKara5109:
    We have prescription Eucerin and a steroid cream and she still scratchs like crazy...and cries while scratching. It is about to drive us all crazy.

:(  DS doesn't cry, thankfully, although it can't be fun for him.  I hope there's an end in sight!

• I have used California Baby for awhile on DD - but she still has issues - not horrible but sometimes her eyebrows look very red.  I use Aquaphor on very dry spots. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • DS has eczema. His pediatrician said to give him quick baths and rub him down with lotion right after his bath. She also said that I can put hydrocortizone (sp?) when he is itchy. That helped him a lot. I also cut his nails every 5 days or so to keep him from drawing blood when he scratches himself.
  • My LO does this too.  I use Cetaphil and Mustela for eczema during bathtime and slather him really good with Aquaphor but he still is constantly rubbing  and scratching.  I file his nails every night but he still manages to get himself.  It makes me so sad.  The pedi said to try Eucerin and Aquaphor.
  • Similar to other people's pedis, but a little different.  She told us to give him a bath every night - but only use soap/shampoo 1-2 times per week (it's not the water that irritates their skin, it's the products).  Then apply a cream - not a lotion, lotions will dry eczematic skin more.  And if it's still bad, try a little bit of hydrocortisone. 

She said at this age, it can also be related to a food allergy.  I'd already stopped eating dairy, so she had me cut out the other big ones (soy, gluten, eggs, nuts).  It's only been a week and we've seen improvements in his skin - and he's less fussy :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"