Military Families

tri-care/plastic surgery?

I had twins 6 months ago and they did a number on my body. My doctor recommends seeing a plastic surgeon to see about repairing my out of place stomach muscles. While I am under I figured I could have some scars revised too. I have known of women having tri-care pay for some of their breast implants..so i am wondering if they would pay for these items?..anyone have experience with this?
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers image image image Visit The Nest!

Re: tri-care/plastic surgery?

• Tricare doesn't pay for elective plastic surgery. If you know someone who had breast implants covered, it is likely due to something like breast cancer where a mastectomy was required. If you have a medical need for your surgery, tricare might cover it. They are not going to pay for you to have scars removed though.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I know they don't pay for elective surgeries..But people seem to be getting around the rules by having doctors sign off saying it was medically advised to revise certain areas of the body..Just wondering if anyone else had this experence..Not wanting to milk the system, I have saved money from our tax return to pay for it..Just curious i guess..Thanks for your response
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers image image image Visit The Nest!
  • Loading the player...
  • A poster on MN was able to get hers paid for by TriCare because she has some symmetry issues (or something like that). It could possible if your doctor deems it medically necessary, not cosmetic. I think it's still largely case by case at this point though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I can't speak to Tricare but I used to work for a plastic and reconstructive surgeon in college.  We were able to get things approved with some insurance companies if we could show a medical reason or in some cases if we could prove that condition was causing pyschological trauma to the patient.  The psychological trauma can possibly get scar revision covered but if the scar is in a place that is usually covered it probably won't work.  We would have to have all kinds of statements from people to prove the trauma.  For example, if the patient was a child we would get letters from teachers attesting that the child suffered some type of abuse from their peers because of the condition. 
  •  

I heard that some woman did have their plastic surgeries paid for but they had to go to the CO and have a very good reason on why they needed this plastic surgery.

• https://www.tricare.mil/mybenefit/jsp/Medical/IsItCovered.do?kw=Reconstructive+Surgery&topic=Women

My friend had twins about 18 months ago and did have some reconstructive surgery post-pardum.  She had several hernias repaired which included some muscle work.  From what I recall, she didn't get everything she wanted, but they did cover a major portion of the surgery.

And to the PP who said they went to the "CO"... what do you mean?  Commanding Officers (non medical) have ZERO bearing on whether Tricare will cover something.  To imply such is actually kinda funny :).

• I have heard of Tricare covering it only if it is medically necessary. If you have hernias, ab muscles that need to be fixed because they are causing you pain. If they wanted a tummy tuck while there, they had to pay the difference OOP.

I have been told that some MTF's will do cosmetic surgery only so that the surgeons stay certified. But there are few slots and few doctors so a long wait time. I don't know if this true or not, but it is something I have heard from different people. 

Our Blog TTC since 10/2004 Follistim+Ovidril+Metformin=BFP on 12/8/08 2 heartbeats-12/30/08 Betas- 10DPO-104 12DPO-274 Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Tricare will cover plastic surgery from what I have been told if it is effecting you mentally. I was told that is how people get there boob jobs. I have been told they will cover a reduction for me but that is due to pain that is from my chest. If you can get Tricare to cover your first visit then the surgeon might be able to tell you what they may cover.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I know a woman that got Tricare to pay for Lipo and a tummy tuck by having a dr say she was depressed and had bad body image.  She wasn't actually depressed but she got a dr to say she was...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Honestly you can get just about anything done that you want.  Its all about how its worded.  You will be suprised.  I know females in the military who got brest enlargments.  something to do with their mental health and how they felt about their bodies. 

Good luck either way.

April 10 IUI BFN Sept 10 IUI BRN Feb 11 IVF hoping for a BFP! Feb 27 ER 28 eggs Mar 4 8 health eggs, 2 ET Mar 17 - Beta 180!! BFP!!! Mar 21 - Beta 1295!! holy cow what a jump Coming soon 1st Sono March 30!!! Crossing fingers for healthy stick bean(s) Mar 29 miscarry :( 6w 3d 2nd IVF July 2011 BFP July 2011 M/C 11/11/11 hate to say good bye again! Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 3rd IVF 4/3/12 ER 46 eggs (holly cow batman) 40 mature, 36 fertilized 4/8/12 ET 2 AB put back 4/10/12 15 make it to FREEZE 4/22/12 Beta BFN 1st FET 6/7/12 Day we are going to put back 2. 6/21/12 BFP 1285 6/25/12 4780 I hope this time they stick!! Deaglan William welcome. My rainbow is finally here February 7, 2013
  • imageLovelyChika:

I heard that some woman did have their plastic surgeries paid for but they had to go to the CO and have a very good reason on why they needed this plastic surgery.

LOL.  I couldn't imagine going to my husbands CO and saying, "But Captain... I REALLY need this tummy tuck and boob job!!!  I gotta look good on the beach this summer!"

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"