High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Motrin/Ibuprofen to stop contractions

I know that I asked this about 6 weeks ago, but my doctor brought it up again today.

Has anyone else's doctor prescribed motrin/ibuprofen to stop contractions and calm the uterus?  My doctor wants me taking it 3 times a day, every other day.  Ugh...I don't want to do it.  I mean, I know that he is the expert and I trust him...but everything I read tells me how terrible it is to take it (especially in the 3rd trimester).

Thanks!

Re: Motrin/Ibuprofen to stop contractions

• Options

Right here.

Up until two days ago I was taking 600mg of Motrin every six hours since 1/18.

My MFM explained to me that it's their first line drug to calm uterine irritability and if needed she would keep me on it til 32 weeks. I have had weekly AFI checks because it can cause low fluid. 

I had no problems whatsoever on it and my baby has done great on NSTs and is developing normally. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

Ibuprofen can cause the ductus arteriosus to close prematurely.  (your going to have to google, I can't explain it)   If your going to do it, they need to monitor this.

I was on indocin (similar to Ibuprofen) for 48 hours and my ductus had started narrow and I had to stop right a way. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was on indocin for 48 hrs in the hospital, and that was all my OB/MFM would allow.  They said too much longer and it can start to close the PDA (like previous poster said).  I'm sure its one research study vs. another.  But yes, they should be checking the PDA VERY closely. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Took indocin for 48 hours every weekend for a few weeks in between terb. last pregnancy (beginning of third tri) for a terbutaline "holiday".

This pregnancy (last week @ 27 weeks), took indocin over 1 day in hospital and continued with 600 mg of ibuprofen every 6 hours for another 24 hours at home. Like pps said- indocin and ibuprofen are about the same. Still on continued weekly progesterone shots though.

Nutmeg, cilantro, sage, mint, thyme... these are a few of my favorite things! Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest! We have four children; one left us too soon.
  • Options
    I wish I was given the choice to use ibuprofen first. They didn't even offer me that. They put me on visteral and procardia since 29 weeks. Ibuprofen sounds better than this serious PTL medicine. I stop it all next week, woohoo!
  • Options

imageaschleser:
    I was on indocin for 48 hrs in the hospital, and that was all my OB/MFM would allow.  They said too much longer and it can start to close the PDA (like previous poster said).  I'm sure its one research study vs. another.  But yes, they should be checking the PDA VERY closely. 

I was on indocin as well.  I took 2.5 rounds of it (typically they don't do more than 1, but due to limited options) while also on mag sulfate to stop contractions.  I was monitored in the hospital the whole time.  

Andrew's PDA did not close at birth, but thankfully, his closed with 2 rounds of ibproufen in the NICU.

• Options
    Hummm...I guess I have more questions to ask. Ugh...I hate this.  I would just love not to have to worry about all of this stuff.  I obviously want to follow doctor's orders and keep this baby in for as long as possible.  BUT...I hate thinking about the possible side effects of all of the medications that I (we) am on :(
  • Options

imageLHC10:
    Hummm...I guess I have more questions to ask. Ugh...I hate this.  I would just love not to have to worry about all of this stuff.  I obviously want to follow doctor's orders and keep this baby in for as long as possible.  BUT...I hate thinking about the possible side effects of all of the medications that I (we) am on :(

The doctors told me there would potentially be side effects of indocin, but you know, at the time, it was sort of the only option to try to keep the baby in.  Talk to your doctor about the risks etc!  My gut is that if your doctor is recommending a med, they think it's worth it, but ask questions to make sure you agree.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"