3rd Trimester

32 weeks and baby measuring at 2 lbs?

My girlfriend was due 2 days before me. Well about 2 months ago, they told her that the baby was measuring big and her due date was moved up a week (she is now due April 26th whereas it was may 3rd). First off she looks incredibly small. She is same height/weight as me (5'7" roughly 140's before conception). I am completely confused and a little concerned for her because not only does she not look pregnant, at ALL, but she said they measured him at about 2 lbs (at 32 weeks pregnant!?). Anyone else heard of the baby being this small at this stage? Also, anyone heard of them moving up the due date due to "measuring ahead" yet then the baby is twice as little as a normal 32 weeker?

Re: 32 weeks and baby measuring at 2 lbs?

• My baby was measuring 3lbs at 32 weeks and my doctor was very concerned.  I don't think that your friends new due date is accurate.  Even when my baby was measuring so small my due date stayed the same
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • She said that her doctor is not concerned. I would think that they would be. She did get very sick in the beginning (was hospitalized for 4 days and lost 23 lbs.. yes 23 lbs). She said the OB told her that may be why he is measuring small.. but maybe this is a stupid thought... I thought the baby's growth happens no matter what you lose or gain around it?
  • Loading the player...
  • Woah....at 26 weeks, my baby was 2 pounds and the doctor said that was perfect.  How can her doctor not be concerned?  I also asked my doctor if he changes due dates based on the babies size.  He said no because if they always changed it for the babies size, then all babies would end up being average and they couldn't measure if something was wrong.  Makes sense!
  • That is so weird to me. I don't think this friend would EVER lie either, so I am REALLY concerned that 1) the baby is not growing like he should and 2) that her doctor is on drugs!
  • Weight gain, belly size, etc is not an accurate measurement of baby size (nor of due date).  Everyone carries different even with the same pre-pregnancy size and rough shape.  The most accurate measure is the first trimester u/s results; did she have one then?

At 33 weeks, I was measuring 4 weeks ahead in fundal height and the follow-up ultrasound measured the baby at 4 lbs, 14 oz (actually only 1 week ahead).  My MW also was pretty clear that an u/s can be off up to a pound in either direction.  Although my LO seemed huge, they did not (and will not) move my due date up.

• I would be concerned for her. 2lbs at 32 weeks is small. And they pushed UP her due date? That makes absolutely no sense.

If she was my friend, I would tell her to do some research and that you're concerned about what they're telling her. Maybe she could see a different doc and see what they think? 

Chelsea; 7/22/2005 Carissa; 4/9/2011 Cassidy; 9/6/2012
    Baby #4; 7/7/2018
  • MrsDLMrsDL member

That is small and concerning - may baby is measuring big - 2 llbs 12 oz at 28 weeks - 2.22 is average.

In any case I was told they only move up your date if they think they are more than 2 weeks off. I keep measuring ahead on ultrasound so the US techs tell me what I look like by growth (May 5th) but my doc still has me at May 15th. Even if they are telling her ths by ultrasound - the baby is small. I would think maybe they would push it back - maybe they had the dates wrong? It doesn't sound like the baby would be ready to come earlier in her case.

• Sigh.

You can measure ahead or behind but they don't give you a new due date. A baby doesn't magically mature and grow all it's parts faster just because they are bigger. They may say "oh you are 27 weeks, but the baby is measuring at 28.5" It doesn't actually move your due date up 10 days.  

• imagePinkGrapefuit:

Sigh.

You can measure ahead or behind but they don't give you a new due date. A baby doesn't magically mature and grow all it's parts faster just because they are bigger. They may say "oh you are 27 weeks, but the baby is measuring at 28.5" It doesn't actually move your due date up 10 days.  

Unless your doctor is incompetent, which sounds like that may be the case.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Married 12/8/07 | Sleeve Gastrectomy 10/19/09
    BFP#1 DD born 3/9/11 | BFP#4 DD born 9/20/13
    BFP#2 6/21/12, M/C at 5w2d | BFP#3 11/27/12, M/C at 6w6d
  • My baby was 2 ibs 13 oz at the 28 week ultrasound putting him in the 84 percentile for growth.  I would think only 2 ibs at 32 weeks would put the baby in a very low percentile.  I would be very concerned, or maybe your friend heard the doctor wrong or is confused. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I had a level 2 US yesterday and at 32 weeks my daughter weighs 5 lbs 8 ounces. I was measuring 4 weeks ahead so they sent me for the US..that sounds very small (2 lbs at 32 weeks) I hope everything ends up ok for your friend!

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagecallmecrazy1:
    My girlfriend was due 2 days before me. Well about 2 months ago, they told her that the baby was measuring big and her due date was moved up a week (she is now due April 26th whereas it was may 3rd). First off she looks incredibly small. She is same height/weight as me (5'7" roughly 140's before conception). I am completely confused and a little concerned for her because not only does she not look pregnant, at ALL, but she said they measured him at about 2 lbs (at 32 weeks pregnant!?). Anyone else heard of the baby being this small at this stage? Also, anyone heard of them moving up the due date due to "measuring ahead" yet then the baby is twice as little as a normal 32 weeker?

This is definitely something to worry about, I am 34 weeks and my baby is over 5lbs, at 32 was around 3.6 they say from a growth ultrasound i had. I would tell her to find a new doctor!

• I know you said you don't think your friend would lie, but do you think she might just be telling you her doc isn't worried so that. She won't worry? If I were her I would be incredibly scared, and if I had a friend who was due the same time I probably wouldn't tell them everything if things started to go bad. Hopefully she and baby are ok....but what she said about moving due date and measuring ahead and baby being small just doesn't add up!
    image April 2, 2011 Exclusive Pumping Facebook Group http://www.facebook.com/groups/113592028761826/ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Okay so let me clarify.. they moved her due date up (according to her) abou 2 months ago. However, even that was funny. Let me tell you why... I agree with you all that even if you are "measuring" bigger or smaller they do not move your due date. Therefore 2 months ago when she called and said they moved her date up a week because she was measuring ahead I asked her so did they officially move your due date up? she said "i think so" so i told her that it worried me because i'd never heard of that before and she needs to know her due date, period. She called them, and called me back to tell me that the nurse confirmed her new due date was the 26th of april and not May 3rd. I did think that was odd, but i didnt know if it was unheard of..

Today, she tells me that her baby is measuring at 2 lbs. I am one week behind her (2 days behind her according to original date) and I feel HUGE next to her, not to mention my baby was measuring over 4.5 lbs last week. I was very scared to tell her how much it concerned me because i didnt want to freak her out.. but here is what she told me... she said that the doc told her last week that he is measuring roughly at 2 lbs and that she should not be concerned because it is probably from all of the weight she lost in the beginning.. her doc also told her that the baby could gain all of his weight in the next month, not to worry. I walked away from today feeling REALLY worried about that baby. 

SO. after I posted here i sent her a text.. and I asked her HOW they measured her exactly to tell her the 2 lb range. She replied that they measured her BELLY. AGAIN, WTH!? This doctor seems to be one LARGE idiot. I have NEVER heard of a doctor telling an OB patient the size of her baby according to her belly. I mean, in pounds that is. Am I the crazy one here or is this all just nuts? She has another U/S next week and is going to ask the doctor. I told her I wanted to go with her to complain. I mean, I know that it is her business and it is not my baby, but it really concerns me. 

I do NOT think she would ever lie, but I am starting to doubt myself because it seems to unprofessional for a doctor's office. Too off track. Don't you think?

• OK, I am not trying to be rude by any means but I must say in the most frank way possible...your friend doesn't sound like the brightest bulb in the pack. When you asked her if they moved up her due date and she replies with "I think so" I would be thinking that she is not receiving the information at her OB's office correctly.  When your OB measures your belly, they are measuring your uterus not how big the baby is...so that just doesn't seem right.

At 28 weeks, my baby was measuring at 3lbs 1oz and my doctor said I was measuring 2 weeks ahead.  I got a little excited thinking that meant my due date would be pushed up.  Her response to me when I asked if that was the case, was "just b/c your sister is taller than you, doesn't mean she is older than you."  Which is a good point. 

• imageLISAF1197:

OK, I am not trying to be rude by any means but I must say in the most frank way possible...your friend doesn't sound like the brightest bulb in the pack. When you asked her if they moved up her due date and she replies with "I think so" I would be thinking that she is not receiving the information at her OB's office correctly.  When your OB measures your belly, they are measuring your uterus not how big the baby is...so that just doesn't seem right.

At 28 weeks, my baby was measuring at 3lbs 1oz and my doctor said I was measuring 2 weeks ahead.  I got a little excited thinking that meant my due date would be pushed up.  Her response to me when I asked if that was the case, was "just b/c your sister is taller than you, doesn't mean she is older than you."  Which is a good point. 

Not rude at all! I totally get you! I am so confused and I am wondering why her doctor would say all these things.. I just don't get it. 

• Yeah~ totally wierd.  I had an U/S at 30 weeks and both babies were estimated to be 3 1/2 pounds.  If her Dr. knows anything he should have ordered a bio physical to double check his "guesstimated" baby size based on the size of her belly. 

I will say this though~ when I was PG with my first born I had a med student tell me at my 40 week appt. that my baby was "no bigger than five pounds" based on my belly and 2 days later the kid came out at 7 and 1/2.

Your friend is really lucky to have a friend like you~ just wanyed to mention that. :)

Mom of Riley-13, Libby Jaye-11, Maguire-8, Callum & Maggie-7mo Photobucket
  • I'm thinking maybe your friend is just confused and/or not giving you the correct information. Obviously I don't know her or her doctor, but I would assume that the doctor knows what he's doing. Honestly, if I were you, I would just stay out of it and trust that the doctor is taking care of everything. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This all sounds so bizarre. Even though your friend doesn't seem like the sharpest tack, neither does her doctor. I think you are a great friend to care so much and are in the ideal situation to be frank with her. Because your both pregnant due around the same time, you should be on similar tracks. Considering hers is so far off, I would find a way to be honest with her. Is there another doctor in her group she can see? The doctor sounds like a complete flake...something just isn't right.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • At 30 weeks my DD was measuring at 2lbs 4 oz and I am due April 26th also. I am going back on monday for another growth check up. I will be at 33 weeks and I can give a better weight for you.
  • Hey i saw Your post i am 32 weeks and 3 lbs Now is that really bad was everything ok
  • kellyc07 said:

My baby was measuring 3lbs at 32 weeks and my doctor was very concerned.  I don't think that your friends new due date is accurate.  Even when my baby was measuring so small my due date stayed the same

Hey i saw Your post i am 32 weeks and 3 lbs Now is that really bad was everything ok
  • 1. Stop comparing yourself to someone else. Although she may be the same height and weight as you, she is not you, her baby is not your baby, and her pregnancy is not your pregnancy.
    2. Growth scans, more often than not, are inaccurate. Please do research on this and educate yourself before you're told you
    have to have a c-section or induce because your LO is "too big".
    3. ...stop comparing yourself to someone else. 
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"