Washington Babies
Options

Kindle or Nook

I'm thinking about getting an eReader.  Does anybody have a recommendation for what is better...the kindle or the nook? 

Jen - Mom to Jillian (10/2008) and Hayden (4/2010)

My Blog

Re: Kindle or Nook

• Options

I think Kindle users will tell you they love their Kindle, and Nook users will tell you they love their Nook!

I have a Kindle and LOVE it. I have become a more avid reader in the past few months since DH got me the Kindle for Christmas.

Here's a good site for reviews:

https://reviews.cnet.com/ebook-readers/

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I have a nook. For me I didnt want the buttons on the bottom. Also with the nook you can check out books from the library. I'm not sure if kindle does that or not.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagebreebree13:
    I have a nook. For me I didnt want the buttons on the bottom. Also with the nook you can check out books from the library. I'm not sure if kindle does that or not.

Looking at the reviews you can't check out books with the Kindle because it doesn't support the ePUB format.  I'm also leaning towards an LCD screen because I'll be reading in my vanpool a lot and it is dark in the mornings.

My Blog

• Options
    I have a Nook Color and like the fact you can read magazines on it.  It was a surprise for my Birthday so I really don't know what the Kindle has to offer.  I also like with the Nook you can have up to 6 Nooks on one account and share books, magazines, etc.  My Mom, sister and myself are all linked up on one account and we can read and share the same books and magzines it's nice.
  • Options
    I have a Nook Color and chose it because I love magazines.  Reading magazines on my eReader is awesome!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    How do magazine subscriptions work on the Nook Color?  I have subscriptions to several different magazines but they pile up at home without getting read.

My Blog

• Options
    I haven't really looked into it, with exsisting magazine subscriptions, but to get new ones you go the barnes and noble website and sign up for the magzine, you can either get one magazine or a subscription.  I have noticed you don't get the killer deals on the Nook magazines that you do on printed magazines.  It is really nice to read a magazine on the Nook, especially in bed.  I will eventually swtich my subscriptions over as they expire.  Also the Nook does not have all magazines so make sure they have the magazines you want. 
  • Options
    There are ways around the ePub situation with Kindle, as I have found out. I also have been able to upload other files, like fanfic, to mine, for free. I LOVE my Kindle. Then again, I am an avid Amazon fan and therefore love being able to just click and go from their e-store. I think their prices are really good, too. I have gotten several NEW books for $5 recently that I would have paid a lot more for in book form, even with a coupon at Borders. The Nook Color would bug me, I think, because of the glare. I have heard it's more like a computer screen. I am getting a reading light for my Kindle -- they sell specific ones -- for the dark.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

I got my hubby a Kindle for our anniversary and he loves it.  I like not having gigantic sci fi novels taking up space in our house.  He did get the leather case on Amazon (it's $60 or so and has a little light in the corner so he can read in low light). 

I researched ereaders and didn't find a big difference for reading novels so I went with the Kindle.  I also like the ease of Amazon and I didn't find much for bad reviews on the Kindle. 

-Deborah

• Options

Seattle Public Library has free ebooks that you can download and it doesn't work with the Amazon Kindle.  Amazon wants you to buy it from them instead of getting it free.  https://www.spl.org/default.asp?pageID=collection_digibooks

Didn't know if you were considering this as we have tons of patrons come in asking us the very same question everyday!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    I made my decision and went with the Nook.  Ultimately I wanted the LCD for reading in the vanpool and a format easily compatible with the KCLS.  Because if DH's unemployment runs out we will be poor in the near future :)

My Blog

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"