March 2011 Moms

4 1/2 week old eating solids?

I was under the understanding that you aren't supposed to feed solids to your child until they're closer to 5 months old not one month.  My cousin is feeding her 4 1/2 week old baby cereal in an attempt to get her to sleep more.  Am I confused?

image Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: 4 1/2 week old eating solids?

• 4 months is generally when baby cereal is recommended.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Sometimes pedis recommend adding a little bit of rice cereal to formula to help with reflux.  And I think the "bedtime" Enfamil formula has a bit in it to help the stomach feel fuller therefore sleep better, but it doesn't really work in my opinion.  In general, solids should not be fed before 4 months!
  • Loading the player...
  • Yikes, I hope she is doing this under her ped's care.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Married 12/8/07 | Sleeve Gastrectomy 10/19/09
    BFP#1 DD born 3/9/11 | BFP#4 DD born 9/20/13
    BFP#2 6/21/12, M/C at 5w2d | BFP#3 11/27/12, M/C at 6w6d
  • ... assuming I'm reading the coversation between her and her sister correctly, she's not.
    image Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • jkylejkyle member
    I have heard of people doing this, however, until a baby is 6 months old, they lack the enzymes in their digestive system to properly breakdown anything besides BM or formula. In addition, according to the new research, early introduction of cereals has been linked to an increase in allergies to things like rice, wheat, oats, etc. Unless her pedi has told her to do this, it should be avoided. Besides, if she is doing it just to get him to sleep more at night...it may work initially but will likely backfire on her eventually. It is like a rock in the baby's little tummy, so it will make him/her sleep for the first while, but because it isn't properly digested, after doing this for a while, the baby is likely going to start sleeping less out of discomfort...
  • My mother fed me solids even earlier, and I have suffered from really bad food and seasonal allergies and eczema all of my life.  It might make life a little easier for her if it makes baby sleep, but she should be aware of the potential long term effects.
  • I have heard of some folks adding a dash of cereal to a bottle for reflux reasons, but it is usually at the rec of their pedi.

I am with the other posters and think that 4-6 months (I am a bigger believer in 6) , and as rec'd by your pedi is the way to go!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Oh, and read any baby sleep book--there is no evidence that solids help babies to sleep more or better.  It is just an old wives tale.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We gave our oldest cereal at around that time to help with weight gain and reflux.  Typically babies don't start until around 4-6 months, but doctors can suggest it for some medical reasons.
    DD1 - 12.25.05
    (m/c 1.17.07, m/c 5.15.07)
    DS - 03.15.08
    DD2 - 12.03.09
    DD3 - 3.28.11
  • In Canada, it's actually recommended that solids aren't introduced until 6 months if you can (or after 4 months at least).

That is much too early. A baby at 4 1/2 weeks is not suppose to be sleeping through the night. Someone needs to talk to your cousin.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Diagnosed with PCOS March '10 - Started 1000mg of Metformin
    After 3 unsuccessful Clomid cycles, FSH+Ovidril+IUI+Progesterone=BFP!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Time to make Emilie a big sister!

May '16 2.0: Letrozole+FSH+Menopur+Ovidril+IUI+Progesterone=BFP! first beta-45.44, second beta-148

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"