Indiana Babies

Hi, new future momma and new to the boards

Hello all,

My hubby and I live in Southern Indiana across from Louisvlle Kentucky. We are expecting our 1st child this fall.

My first ob appt is scheduled for March 8th. I'm both excited and nervous at the same time. They are gonna try to let us hear the heart beat of our little one.  Any advice before the appt. Do I need to come with a full bladder, or can I pee before the appt? Can I eat that morning or not?  What's the chance of hearing the heartbeat? I'll be 10 weeks.

Thanks for any input you can share.

Aim for the Moon, because even landing among the stars is great. Expecting our 1st addition to our growing family this fall.

Re: Hi, new future momma and new to the boards

• Great day--that's my birthday!  Don't freak out if they can't find it or if it takes a while.  Pretty much every visit they wanted me to leave a urine sample.  The only time I couldn't eat was for the glucose test, but that's not until 3rd trimester.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • welcome and congrats! 

i didn't do anything special for our first apt.  my first apts have been at 10 weeks.  in my experience, they listen for the heartbeat with a doppler.  this last time my doc said i'd only have an ultrasound if they couldn't pick it up on the doppler - which they did.  the only prep i did was make a list of questions that i wanted to ask the dr.  i'm so forgetful once i get in there and we start talking.  it's nice to have them written down! 

• Loading the player...
  • Just remember to not freak out if they can't find the heartbeat. I was 5 months pregnant before my ob could find it without any trouble. Enjoy the urine samples at every visit. Make sure you eat! I have been stuck waiting for my ob way longer than expected and had to retreat to the emergency granola bar in my purse. Good Luck! I'm due the end of April and I swear it feels like we just had our first appointment.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Welcome and congrats! Ditto the pp. You'll likely need to give a urine sample but otherwise you don't need a full bladder since they'll probably just use an external doppler to listen for the heartbeat, not a traditional ultrasound. My OB never attempted to listen for the heartbeat that early, but I have a home doppler and was able to find it with some effort at about that gestational age. I agree with the advice to not freak out if they can't find it right away! One thing to either ask your doctor about or otherwise get more info about is any classes you and your husband may want to take during your pregnancy, You may also want to ask about any screening tests you may be interested in getting. Good luck - keep us updated on your progress!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Welcome and congrats!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Hi, welcome to the board, and congratulations!

I just had my first appointment last week.  Here's how it worked for me: they did a vaginal ultrasound (so they'll have you empty your bladder before), took about 5 vials of blood, and did the intro to wellness/nutrition/what-not-to-do-when-you're-pg pep talk. 

I was 8 weeks 6 days at my ultrasound, and we could hear the heartbeat.  If they do a vaginal, I think you'll hear it.

So exciting!  Keep us posted after your appt!

• imageSweetTea*83:

Hi, welcome to the board, and congratulations!

I just had my first appointment last week.  Here's how it worked for me: they did a vaginal ultrasound (so they'll have you empty your bladder before), took about 5 vials of blood, and did the intro to wellness/nutrition/what-not-to-do-when-you're-pg pep talk. 

I was 8 weeks 6 days at my ultrasound, and we could hear the heartbeat.  If they do a vaginal, I think you'll hear it.

Keep in mind that not all dr's do u/s's that early. A lot actually only do them for the anatomy scan.

I had one early, but it was because of bleeding and cramping (Turns out my placenta detached from the wall a bit).

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Welcome! I grew up going to a summer place in Vevay, IN. I love it down there and really miss going out on the river. No advice for your appointment as I haven't had one yet, but I hope yours goes well!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageSweetTea*83:

Hi, welcome to the board, and congratulations!

Ditto!  This is exactly how my appt went as well.  Congrats!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP #2 11/4/12 EDD 7/20/12 missed M/C 12/13/12 @8w5d D&C 12/21/12
    DX 2/7/13 with an alloimmunity + for anti-paternal antibodies started Lovenox daily & BA
    BFP 2/16/13 EDD 10/28/13

• I live in So. IN across from Louisville too :)   No advice for you, bc I'm not preg. yet (hope to be soon though!)  but congrats!
  • Welcome to the board! Also a soon to be mommy (from Louisville but buying a beautiful home across the bridge). I had my first ultrasound at 9 weeks because the couldn't find the heartbeat (I thought I was at 12 weeks, so there was a little confusion there). Congrats and goodluck!!!
    Baby Finn due 8/10/11!!! Can't wait to meet my first son :)image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"