Babies: 3 - 6 Months

back to the breast...help please!

Ok so I EBF for her first month but had a horribley difficult time, she would not stay latched would scream and cry. It would take an hour for her to get even 5 mins of actual eating then she was not gaining weight and she was already small to begin with so I started pumping into bottles. I have always kept trying to BF her but she basically "snacks" only eating about 2-5 mins. Now I really want to go back to just Bf. She bf at night easily but she is pretty much asleep so she doesn't fight it like normal. Any tips or advice to get an older baby to start bf again. I've been using a paci to calm her when she gets worked up trying to Bf and then trying to just switch out the paci for my nipple. Frustrated please help. Thanks
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: back to the breast...help please!

• You should post this on the breastfeeding board... youll get some better responses there :) No help except put her to the breast as much as possible :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We had a really rough time the first couple weeks, I was pumping because he would just scream if I brought him near my breast. Making an appointment with the LC at my hospital was the absolute best thing I could have done, and the appointment was even covered by insurance. I highly recommend meeting with a LC, if I hadn't I'm sure I would have given up on BFing.
  • Loading the player...
  • You're doing a lot of good things already. I've tried the paci/boob switcheroo with some success. If you can try to feed her just as she's waking up, maybe eventually she will get used to being back on the breast.

I know for my DD, she hates one side so I have to trick her by moving her into different and sometimes awkward positions to get her to take the bad boob.

Have you tried nursing lying down? I know that's not always the most practical way to nurse, but it helps me. 

I'm definitely no expert, but I've found these things have helped us with our nursing relationship. I go to monthly La Leche League meetings in my town. If you don't have one nearby, you can also get on their message board. Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I tried to get back to EBF when DS was about 3 mo with no success. We didn't have the extra $ to see a LC, and I had a horrible time with the free LCs at my hospital. If I could do it over again, I'd give anything to see a licensed LC. If you can, do it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"