2nd Trimester
Options

RUDE In-laws...help!

I'm 22 weeks pregnant and I don't think I've gained too much weight at all (maybe 10 pounds?).Yes I have an obvious baby-bump but besides that I look like myself still.  I see my in-laws twice a week and EVERY time I see my in-laws they comment on my body.  My father-in-law says things to my husband like "you need to keep her in line, she's gaining so much weight" and "wow, you're getting so fat." And my mother-in-law says things like "have you weighed yourself lately?" and "look how big you've gotten!" and is constantly rubbing my stomach.  I know they're excited about having another grandchild and my husband has told me my father-in-law is just joking around but it still hurts my feelings.  I don't feel sexy or beautiful anymore and these comments don't help.  I've told my husband and he told me he can tell them to stop but I don't want to be awkward around them or for them to be awkward around me.  What should I do? HELP!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: RUDE In-laws...help!

• Options
    Tell them outright that it hurts your feelings and you don't appreciate those jokes. Stand up for yourself. There is nothing wrong with that. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Oh my goodness! I'm sorry hun ~ that is just rude! This is where I would recommend NOT biting your tongue and just telling them how rude and inconsiderate they are being. If it were me, I would let them know they are more than welcome to share their concerns with my Dr at my next appt and proceed to explain to them that you don't believe in starving yourself while pregnant for the sake of your baby and that your Dr has congratulated you for ONLY gaining 10lbs by 22wks!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You need to have enough self respect to stand up for yourself!!! Tell them to stop saying those hurtful things to you. And if they just don't want to stop being so mean, perhaps you can find a way to see them less often? You don't need that kind of negativity around when your self-image is so fragile right now.
    pregnancy calendar BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with the other posters - you really do need to share your feelings with them. Think of it this way: how would you feel if your husband was upset or hurt by something you did but chose never to share it with you. It wouldn't really be fair of him not to, and it would certainly make you feel terrible that he didn't share. It doesn't have to be some big show down - you can simply share that you know they're joking and being good natured but that you are self conscious right now and would prefer to hold the jokes if possible. Best of luck!
  • Options

imageSarahPLiz:
    Tell them outright that it hurts your feelings and you don't appreciate those jokes. Stand up for yourself. There is nothing wrong with that. 

This and ((((hugs)))).

BFP#1 4/17/10...EDD 1/6/11...M/C 5/28/10 BFP#2 11/19/10...EDD 8/4/11 Squeaker born 7/30.
  • Options
    They sounds like some real a*holes!  I'd go into a full out homronal pregnancy mess in front of them....that'd shut em up!
    Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I guess I wouldn't "stand up to them" but I would tell my husband how much it bothers me and I know my DH would talk to his family about how it hurts my feelings in private ASAP and ask them to stop. 

And they would, because they don't ever want to upset their son or their son's wife.  :)  That's how I would handle it. His family....his problem to solve and he always does.  Thats how we handle things in our relationship...lol. 

Photobucket BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

You need to RESPOND and tell them how out of line they are. Not hours later, IMMEDIATELY after they say something, point out how rude the comment is.

what a bunch of asholes. 

imageimageimage
  • Options

I had this exact thing happen last week. DH's grandfather asked me why I was getting sooo fat. Hello, I am 24 weeks pregnant and have gained less than 5lbs, shut up! He has also asked if I am carrying twins because I am apparently SOOOOO big. There were a lot of things his family said that really hurt my feelings that night. I just make sure I have the car keys and if I need to go for a drive to calm down I can. Maybe then they will get the point they are rude....

I talked to DH about it later and he said that his grandfather was joking and would not have said it if he thought it would hurt my feelings....Hello, I am a pregnant women, IT IS going to hurt my feelings. You would think a man who has been married for 50 years, has 2 children (both girls) and 5 grandchildren would know to keep their mouth shut.

I leave everytime thankful that my DH is nothing like his family and remind myself that I married my DH. I love my DH and well his family may be the "baggage" he brings into our relationship, it is still worth it.

• Options

Sorry that you have to go thru this..unfortunately, you have to grow a pair and tell them outright...even if it's awkward for them, better for them than for you...it's too bad they have to learn manners at their age.

GL

• Options
    You are a grown a$$ woman...put on your big girl panties and tell them to stop! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I wouldn't say anything "outright." I agree with you, you don't want to make things awkward. I would have my husband in private say something like " you guys should probably stop with the comments, I know she hasn't said anything, but I have a feeling it might be starting to annoy her and in all honestly she has only gained x lbs. I just don't want her getting ideas in her head, or feeling bad about herself right now." Something to that effect. That way it isn't directly, or indirectly coming from you. It's just concern coming from your husband towards their comments.
    Lost Lilah (Audra's twin) at 26 weeks. Cause unknown. Forever in our hearts
  • Options

imagejgengo0:
    I wouldn't say anything "outright." I agree with you, you don't want to make things awkward. I would have my husband in private say something like " you guys should probably stop with the comments, I know she hasn't said anything, but I have a feeling it might be starting to annoy her and in all honestly she has only gained x lbs. I just don't want her getting ideas in her head, or feeling bad about herself right now." Something to that effect. That way it isn't directly, or indirectly coming from you. It's just concern coming from your husband towards their comments.

You don't want to make things awkward???? Things are awkward, and they are making it that way. She needs to grow a backbone and stand up for herself. If her husband has heard them say something, then shame on him for not jumping in immediately and saying something. 

imageimageimage
  • Options

imagejgengo0:

But why???  They are saying this stuff DIRECTLY to her face, and hell, it is ALREADY awkward.  I am sorry, but that is childish.  If it were some other issue, perhaps he should talk to them.  But seriously?  GROW UP and say something.  It doesn't have to be nasty or confrontational.

Put your best innocent, hurt feelings look on and say, "Oh my.  Why would you say something like that to me?"  When the response is, "Oh, we are just kidding".  You say, "Oh, but it really hurts my feelings.  I don't understand why you would want to do something like that to me, I thought we had a different relationship."

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

As long as you think that embarrassing them by you or DH telling them that they are hurting your feelings will make you feel even worse than how you feel when they say such things to you, there's no solution. You've already set your priorities.

Once you decide you actually deserve to be treated half as well as they deserve, there's something you can do.

• Options
    imageFive_letter:

imagejgengo0:

You don't want to make things awkward???? Things are awkward, and they are making it that way. She needs to grow a backbone and stand up for herself. If her husband has heard them say something, then shame on him for not jumping in immediately and saying something. 

My thoughts exactly. They are clearly not considering YOUR feelings or how awkward they are making you feel. Somestimes people just need a dose of their own medicine and there is nothing unladylike about serving it to them with a smile.

• Options
    Stop going to see them. When they ask why you don't come with your husband tell them you don't like the way they treat you. You don't have to put up with their sh*t. If it upsets your husband then maybe he should stand up for you.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Slap them in the face the next time they say something? No seriously, that is awful. You need to say something.
  • Options

If DH let MIL & FIL tell me I looked fat and huge, I'd probably lay him out flat on the floor, seriously.

Tell your DH. He needs to tell them to stop, and he needs to step up on the positive reinforcements. Tell them to stop, and everytime they make a negative remark why isn't he saying "Are you kidding? She looks fantastic."

I'm so livid for you. Seriously. Defend yourself. Why do you have to be uncomfortable so they are comfortable being hateful? 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

For the most part, I let DH handle his family "issues" and I got to my family and address things when need be.  However, this would be an exception.  I would have to call them out and tell them comments like that were a no-go.

No need for you to feel undergo those unnecessary comments. They are just RUDE, not funny.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Me (33) DH (32) WFHM * Coffee & Beach Addict *Running is my Paxil*
  • Options
    imagermj80:

you could always rub MIL's belly right back and say "Man, did you eat too much this week or is that a baby bump on you too?!"

or you could ask to see some family photos from when DH was a little boy and then gasp and exclaim...oh my gosh, ya'll looked SO GOOD BACK THEN...what happened?

he he

ha!  THIS would be a great way to handle it as well. lol

Photobucket BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Not cool at all. I would tell ILs and have hubby back you up too. Weight jokes are NEVER funny.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"