3rd Trimester
Options

Heartburn relief. ?

So, I've managed to make it through my entire life and I've never had heartburn. Until now.

I'm assuming this is heartburn. My throat tastes gross and feels like it's on fire. At first I thought I was going to throw up or something. I didn't feel nauseous, but it tasted nasty.

Then I decided that feeling is heartburn? Hopefully I'm right.

Anyway, what do you do to get rid of it? Any drink that works particularly well? I'm craving milk, would that make it better or worse? lol. 

Chelsea; 7/22/2005 Carissa; 4/9/2011 Cassidy; 9/6/2012
Baby #4; 7/7/2018

Re: Heartburn relief. ?

• Options
    Pepsi works for me
  • Options

Papaya Enzyme. Got it at Walmart and recommended by the labor instructor at our hospital.

I was getting it too but it literally went away!

IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    Beta #3 (6w0d)- 78,399 HB 115 bpm
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Tums!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
  • Options
    BTW, Milk will help with your heartburn. It's an antacid.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
  • Options

TOTALLY feel your pain.  Whatever you do, don't drink water.  That will make it worse (if you've already tried, then you know this by now).  Milk is supposed to be a natural antacid, but I never had any luck.  The BEST and FASTEST cure I've found is TUMS.   They work almost instantly.  And you should be able to find a flavor that's not awful.  I actually kind of like the Assorted Fruit flavor.  I've got a pack in my purse and a pack at home, and I use them regularly throughout the day.  As soon as you feel the heartburn, take a couple and it should go away almost immediately.  Oh, and they have tons of calcium and are actually used as a calcium supplement, so it's a win-win.

Good luck, and hope you feel better soon!

BabyName Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Tums work best for me :)

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I am amazingly jealous of you for making it this far through your life and only getting heartburn now.  Tums work pretty well, if it keeps up I would recommend zantac.  My midwife said that's okay to use.  I understand that milk does work for a lot of people, but it's never worked for me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Milk helps.

You can take 1 Zantac every 12 hours, and if addition support is needed, Tums is good to fill in (as says my OB Smile )

• Options
    Tums worked great for me until about 2 weeks ago, then it got even worse. Like PP mentioned, avoid water when you have heartburn. That will cause your stomach to create even more acid. I have started taking Zantac about an hour before bed each night and it has improved dramatically! I am able to eat regular foods again and sleep through the night without waking up miserable. Good luck!
    Lilypie - (MLGF)Lilypie - (yERV)
      Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Milk usually works for me, if not tums...plus theyre high in vitamin C.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Pickle juice. It sounds crazy, but it works!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Picture114b Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    SheasSheas member

Milk helps temoporarily.

I also heard that drinking highly acidic beverages help better somehow.  Something to do with using acid to fight acid basically.  When I heard this, I drank a coke when I would feel my heartburn coming on, and it worked like a charm. 

If anything, just resort to Tums or Zantac... Zantac worked best for me.

• Options

I also made it 28 yrs without it. Yay for pregnancy!  Heartburn is so annoying!  I started using tums, and it worked great. I got to the point where I was eating them every day, in hopes of preventing heartburn. I think I ate too many and became immune, because after a few weeks it stopped helping.  Luckily, now I only seem to get it at night, or if i have an empty stomach (if i miss breakfast or something). I eat a bowl of cereal with skim milk every night before bed and it really helps (hubby calls it my 2nd dinner LOL)  It keeps the heartburn down and keeps me from waking up starving when i have to pee in the middle of the night!

FWIW, I read that skim milk is the best for it. Fatty substances can make it worse, so whole milk isn't as good.  IDK how true that is, but I drink skim anyway, and that works :)

hth!

• Options
    umm, PS. Now I want a cinnabun!  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"