Baby Names

Do you judge based on names in tickers/siggies?

When reading a post, do you look at the names in siggies and tickers to see if a post is even worth responding to? I tend to skip responding if someone obviously has very different naming style. I also am more likely to ignore the responses of people with atrociously-named children.

I was wondering if anyone else did the same thing.

Re: Do you judge based on names in tickers/siggies?

• No, but I should. I think i offended people on my month board today when I commented on the spelling Jayne, with the context of the OP's chosen first name Lynnli. All I said was that OP obviously liked Cre8iv spellings and the letter Y and people clutched pearls. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Absolutely.  Although I guess I make things tricky for peeps since I don't put my kids' actual names on their tickers, just the aliases I uses for them online!
    imageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • I do pass judgments on the names in tickers and there have definitely been a number of eye-rollers here on the TB, but I don't know if I've ever opted not to respond to a thread because of one of those names. I think I'm much more likely to give a simple or one-word response to anyone whose naming style is obviously not in agreement with mine, though. I mean, really, why waste my time and energy when it's blatant we wont agree?
  • imageNanna:
    Absolutely.  Although I guess I make things tricky for peeps since I don't put my kids' actual names on their tickers, just the aliases I uses for them online!

Dangit. I liked Fozzie and Kermie.. 

• Yes, if its too "out there" I usually won't even comment.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie - (JBoF)
  • imageSarahPLiz:

imageNanna:
    Absolutely.  Although I guess I make things tricky for peeps since I don't put my kids' actual names on their tickers, just the aliases I uses for them online!

Gasp! But, you don't like Beaker?  :::my turn to clutch pearls::: 

imageimageimage
  • imageNanna:
    imageSarahPLiz:

imageNanna:

Gasp! But, you don't like Beaker?  :::my turn to clutch pearls::: 

Oops, I didn't see Beaker. Beaker is actually my favorite, even though its a noun-name. I really loved all my lab classes in college. Beakers have positive connotations for me ;) 

• Yes

Girl muppet names are tricky.  I didn't want to go with Piggy or Janice.  So it was between Beaker and Sweetums.  I guess I could have done Camilla.... 

imageimageimage
  • Yup! Sometimes I go ahead and post... but some days I'm in a terrible mood and I think, "Oh, heck no. I am not going there!"
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
  • Yep. I judge based off names. I tend to be very judgey when it comes to baby names.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yes.  For me it goes back to the "if you can't say something nice..." adage. Since I'm one handed typing a lot I'll just back right on out of a post if I think all the names are dreadful.
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • imageFemmeNat01:
    Yep. I judge based off names. I tend to be very judgey when it comes to baby names.

Congrats on your new addition!!  I saw all the siggy badges, but never actually saw any posts regarding your situation.  I'm just happy to see a ticker in your siggy indicating there's a new LO!!

In terms of judging others for their choice in names - yes and no.  If it's a totally legitimate name and spelling, just a different naming style, I don't bat an eye.  I'll put forth the effort and give constructive criticism and praise where I see fit.  If it's a cre8ive spelling or a completely made-up name or a current trend that I despise, I'll just simply state it.  For example, Paisley - not a name.  Or, Jackson - LN turned FN and I hate that trend.  And, so on and so forth.

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • imageJaysonandKristin:

imageFemmeNat01:
    Yep. I judge based off names. I tend to be very judgey when it comes to baby names.

Congrats on your new addition!!  I saw all the siggy badges, but never actually saw any posts regarding your situation.  I'm just happy to see a ticker in your siggy indicating there's a new LO!!

Thank you! Congrats on the pregnancy; I had no idea! When are you due?

I had A on January 26. It was a rough journey and, definitely, continues to be.

• imageFemmeNat01:
    imageJaysonandKristin:

imageFemmeNat01:

Thank you! Congrats on the pregnancy; I had no idea! When are you due?

I had A on January 26. It was a rough journey and, definitely, continues to be.

Thanks for the congrats!!  I am due on 8/25.

With Hank, we ended up at a children's hospital two hours from where I delivered, and when we got there a local friend had a granddaughter there who was born 19 weeks early.  

Nowadays, we have play dates every once in awhile.  She's a freakin' bully, girl!!  She's always pushing my little pansy boy around!!  

I am very hopeful that the difficulties are a distant memory for you guys VERY soon.  

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Nope I can't say I judge anyone on their name choices.  Sometimes I'll think it's a little odd but I don't judge the person or post on their name choices.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I dismiss other's judgements based on their own name choices. 

example "you are judging me for naming my baby Levi, but you want to name your baby Zelda??? Dismiss!!"  (this didn't really happen by the way, I am just trying to make a point haha)

image image  image 
    To be loved, and to be in love
  • MrsVoMrsVo member

I haven't been posting much at all lately because (1) the bump has been acting crazy and (2) I feel like I always see the same things posted over and over and I'm becoming a broken record in my responses.  So for the most part, I'm only commenting if it is something that peaks my interest. 

But my real reason for this post...I had NO IDEA that Beaker was a girl Muppet.  I feel like someone just told me there is no Santa. LOL.  

Diagnosed PCOS 2/07, TTC #1 since 8/09
    11/10 - Clomid Round 1 = BFN
    12/10 - Clomid Round 2 = BFN
    1/11 - Voluntary Break = BFN (duh)
    2/11 - Clomid Round 3 = BFN
    3/11 - Femara + IUI = BFP * Beta#1=56 * Beta#2=266
    *Cautiously expecting baby girls on November 28, 2011*
    imageimage
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagemj.reilly:

Heck yes. All the time.

Judge responses, that is. I don't usually ignore the posts.

I do that too but also not in terms of ignoring a post.  If someone is bashing the name for being too trendy, old-fashioned, etc. but their child is named Krystynuh then I'm going to roll my eyes.  I've seen a couple names in the sigs that I really want to ask how they chose that name but I've held back.

Dee Dee DS Elijah Xin 3/11/05 DD Evangeline Mei 8/24/06
  • I judge responses and the OP if I see an awful name in their siggy. But I don't always ignore the post completely.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • BEAKER IS A GIRL MUPPET?!?!?!?!?!

On topic: on the names board, if it's obvious that a responders style is SO not the style of the OP (i.e., a person who named their baby Elizabeth is pounding on the person wanting to name their baby Siobhan) then I might comment my dissent, since obviously they are of different minds.

It also depends on my mood. Sometimes I'm in a "to each her own" kind of mood and I'll give someone who likes trendy names suggestions that I think will match her taste, even if it's not MY taste (which runs traditional). Sometimes I'll just ignore it. And sometimes I'll tell them that Rylee is AWFUL and please don't do that to their baby.

• Obvi.  Someone with kids named Brayedin and Kynzee probably isn't going to appreciate my suggestion of Norman or Mable.
    the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
  • imageFemmeNat01:

Agreed.

FotoFlexer_Photo-1 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes. I roll my eyes when I see someone call someone else out on a you-neek or trendy name and their kid's is just as bad.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't. If someone is asking about a cre8tiv name I will usually not like it and tend to suggest they go in the legitimate and properly spelled direction. I realize though, it looks odd coming from me when my DD name is obviously different. On that front all I can say is her father (with a little help from grandpa) essentially chose the name, I love it now because I couldn't picture her anything else and her middle name is after her grandma.

I have posted part of my long list before so its obvious that I have a very diverse and wide range of names I like. I don't have a problem with posting or replying to anyones questions, I pick and choose though. Some people you can just tell are going to be bitchy about what you write. I have noticed a lot of post saying "I want suggestions" when it should be more like, " I want validation".

**~Future Mama to my June "Sprout"~**
    EDD- 06/13/2017
    **Stinkerbelle-8-27-10 * Mr.P's 2nd Mama 7-27-07**
    TTGP's 2013 Sweetest Bumpie <3 

• I do temper my response based on names in siggies.  It is a good way to judge naming styles of the poster. I try not to say anything too negative  even if I hate the name but some names are just horrible and almost consitute child abuse. Someone witha  wigged-out naming style is probnably not going to listen to me but I feel like I have done my part to try and make life better for the child.
    dd(Brianna) 11/01/94, ds(Bram)10/17/95, ds(Jesse)9/26/97, dd (Annie Ruth) 7/27/05 5mc Jan '08, May '08, Feb '09, Sept '09, Apr '11 "And can it be that in a world so full and busy, the loss of one weak creature makes a void in any heart, so wide and deep that nothing but the width and depth of vast eternity can fill it up." - Charles Dickens

PAL/PGAL Welcome

• imageubermoose:

I also am more likely to ignore the responses of people with atrociously-named children. 

I definitely do this. Names I don't like, too. Muaha.

P - 9/2008
    A - 8/2010
    L - 1/2013
    S - 3/2015
  • All the time.

I don't have a problem recommending names that I don't personally like if the OP puts in the type of names they are looking for, and I can think of any to suggest.

I ignore quite a few posters suggestions though because I really dislike their naming style.

• Yes, yes I do.
  • Yes, I sometimes judge based on children's names in the siggy, not just responses to the names board. I have to say that I genuinely like most of the names on the board I spend the most time on- the AP board. It reinforces that it's a group of people whose opinions I generally respect.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • NannaNanna member
    LOL, I'm pretty sure Beaker the muppet is actually a dude.  I just broke a cardinal baby name board rule and assigned it to my girl since it seemed semi-unisex.  (Though to be fair, all my babes got their muppet names in utero well before we found out their sex at the anatomy scan).  :-)
    imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"