September 2011 Moms
Options

nbr: Need movie recs!!!

ILs are coming next week.  DD usually goes to bed around 7:30 and after dinner, when they visit, they usually flip around watching different reruns of old sitcoms.  It drives me bonkers ;)

So I would like to have some movies on hand that we could watch together. (dh, mil, fil, and myself) I need some recs. Last time they were here, we watched Inception... it did not go over well. FIL got way confused and got up about 15 min. into it. And to be honest, I didn't love it... but I understood it.

MIL and FIL are simple people.... nothing too complex.. just *good* movies. They haven't seen a lot of movies so I don't have to worry about renting something they've seen before. Any recs?

So far, I am thinking Shakespeare in Love.  I remember that being pretty good. 

and btw- I try to get them to play games and it also does not go over well. They like to sit in front of the tv after dinner. Which is fine... I would just like to have something good to offer that we can all watch together.

tia! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: nbr: Need movie recs!!!

• Options

okay, so what would be off-limits???

We watched Due Date the other night and it was HILARIOUS. 

Date Night was a good one...simple comedy

Grown-ups was cute

Dinner for Schmucks was funny but a little over the top

I don't really watch a lot of serious movies. I need to be entertained if I'm sitting in front of the TV so movies like Inception lost me within the first 15 minutes. But movies like The Town and Unstoppable (predictable but still good) that are action packed keep my attention almost as much as a comedy.

• Options
    The Town with Ben Affleck was great, loved it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The Blind Side! Great feel good family movie and it's about football so the guys will like it too!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageKatKan:
    The Blind Side! Great feel good family movie and it's about football so the guys will like it too!

This is the one movie they have actually seen recently.. and they LOVED it!

Nothing is really off-limits. Just looking for some fun, lighthearted movies. Nothing serious, sad, or complicated.

Thanks ladies!!! 

• Options

Grumpy Old Men!

Dan in Real Life

Mr & Mrs Smith

The Princess Bride

Lol sorry I am looking at my dvd/blu ray collection and those aer the titles big enough to see that aren't awkward indie films. Hehe

Photobucket
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wedding Anniversary: August 7th 2010 BFP: December 22nd 2010 Beautiful Little Birthday: August 30th 2011

BLOG.

• Options
    DH and I watched the movie, Frequency (from 2000) with his Parents and it was a hit.  I highly recommend it. 
  • Options
    If you have a RedBox kiosk near you, I'd hit that.  They even have a few older movies in there.  They have the original True Grit for example.  That way you can get a variety cause they're only a buck a piece.  I'll second that "Date Night" was really funny.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagelauren&matt:

imageKatKan:

This is the one movie they have actually seen recently.. and they LOVED it!

Nothing is really off-limits. Just looking for some fun, lighthearted movies. Nothing serious, sad, or complicated.

Thanks ladies!!! 

In that case, I don't think you'd go wrong picking up another feel-good sports movie. Some that come to mind are Rudy, Coach Carter, and We Are Marshall. Along those "inspirational" lines I'd also recommend Freedom Writers and Field of Dreams.

• Options

shawshank redemption (sp) is a great movie and one older ppl tend to love. 

The secretarian my Mom loved

Avatar my mom and dad both seperately loved

• Options

i personally love the big twists at the end but some good movies without the big twist are:

Get Low (new movie with robert duvall)

Gran Torino (who doesn't love clint eastwood?)

marley and me

Four Brothers (action packed but very good) 

secondhand lions (another robert duvall a family type movie but very cute!) 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Due Date (hilarious)

Unstoppable (Denzel Washington movie)

Mega Mind (animated- cute)

Dispicable Me (I didn't think I was going to like it- but it was really cute)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
    imageimageimage
    BFP #1 1/16/11 EDD 9/21/11 DD born 9/26/11
    BFP #2 6/16/12 EDD 2/25/13 MC @ 10w
    BFP #3 7/17/15 EDD 3/25/16
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"