June 2011 Moms
Options

Breast Feeding class & DH???

Question: The fee is for a 'couple'. I wasn't originally thinking I'd bring my husband with me. Is anyone bringing their DH or SO with them?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Breast Feeding class & DH???

• Options
    I brought my DH when I went before DD and honestly it was the best thing I ever did. In the beginning when I was having trouble breastfeeding he was supportive. When I got frustrated he offered advice. It really helped me to have the support and it helped him feel apart of something he can't really be a part of. 
    Addison Elizabeth
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Carter James
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageabergale:
    I brought my DH when I went before DD and honestly it was the best thing I ever did. In the beginning when I was having trouble breastfeeding he was supportive. When I got frustrated he offered advice. It really helped me to have the support and it helped him feel apart of something he can't really be a part of. 

That's really good to know. Like OP, I didn't think I would bring MH to this class if I definitely decide to take it.

~Chelsea~
    image"">imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My breastfeeding class is included with my birthing class.  So my DH will be there, but actually if it was separate i think i would still take him.  i think its good for him to know what needs to happen when it comes to feeding bc he can be of GREAT support!!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    breastfeeding was covered extensively in my bradley class, and i think the information was very useful for dh.  he was extremely supportive.  i think that if you're serious about breastfeeding, your husband needs to be educated about the benefits and potential difficulties as well.
  • Options
    Definitely bring him so he will learn how he can help you and encourage you. Also, it will be a great way for him to feel included since breastfeeding can make your DH feel left out. I remember my DH wanted to formula feed DD so badly just so he could participate lol.
  • Options
    I will be bringing him. I want him to learn too.
    Lilypie - (eo79)
     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I think its a good idea to bring him. DH couldn't make it to the class I went to the first time around and I think it would have been beneficial.
  • Options
    I didn't bring DH to my class, but I did see a lot of daddies there.  It was cute - they were taking notes and seemed all excited.  So I actually wished I did bring him to make him feel more included.  I know he would have been bored through some of it, but it would have been a good experience for him I think.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Definitely.  There are things about breastfeeding he will need to know too.  Friends of ours had their first 6 months ago and she had a lot of trouble breastfeeding.  Her husband said he felt completely helpless when she was having difficulty and crying so much over it.  They saw a lactation consultant and she helped them both deal with it.  Breastfeeding isn't just about the woman. 
  • Options

DH is definitely coming.  I know I'll need his support in the beginning and it's best if he understands how it works and what issues can happen before they happen.

Our little flower

• Options
    I took DH and it was really helpful. He was able to remember some things that I didn't and knew what to do to help me while BFing. And my instructor was really out there and just made me laugh hysterical so it was nice to have someone to keep me quiet and crack jokes with afterwards. :)
  • Options
    I'm not taking DH with me, I just don't know how comfortable he'd be.  I plan to talk him through all of it afterward so he can know what he needs to do. 
    Been away from theBump for a while, getting active again for all the good advice :)Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yep, DH is coming with me. I think it is good for him to be there. I will definitely need his support in the beginning and two minds are better than one! I didn't even think about not bringing him, to be honest.
  • Options

imageabergale:

Yes, exactly. Breastfeeding isn't easy and you'll need all the support you can get the first few weeks. The class was helpful because it gave DH an idea of what to expect.

imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Well I am the total weirdo...

In a word? No. I don't see the point. It will be foreign to me to be in that class learning about that and for my husband to come along just seems silly. He will be supportive of me, but in no way do I want him to 'gently' remind me what positions work best..I can call a lactation consultant or a number of friends that have breastfed. Seeing as how he doesn't have breasts (like mine) or has never breastfed before I think I'd rather rely on friends and other women for information/support.

I'm definitely the minority but honestly, I don't even know if I want my husband in the room when I deliver. All the men that sweetly tell their wives how proud they are of them while they are in labor and how they just need 'one more push' really turn me off. I would slap my husband if he started talking to me that way..

I know, I'm weird! :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    It was never a question to me about if he would come... I expected that he would be coming. You sign up as a "couple," so that seems like the center is implying you bring your partner if you have one. Besides... I think it's beneficial for him to know the ins and outs of Breast Feeding too.

DS1 -6/25/11

DS2 -3/23/13

Missed MC D&C 8/26/14

DD - 8/26/15

LO#4 due 5/30/17

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"